Avis 1/72 Stout Sky Car II

Started by frank2056, July 30, 2021, 05:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

The Stout Sky Car from the 1930s is such an odd little plane that I had to build it when I saw the Avis kit.

The Avis 1/72  Scout Skycar II is a limited run kit, so the fit isn't great - the front windshield didn't fit well, but it was a fast build. It's a very small plane, even in 1/72. Built OOB except for the exhausts, which were misshapen lumps of plastic on the sprue. Replaced with wire.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

frank2056

The Stout Skycar I was about the same size... looks cramped even by 1930s-40s sized men:

It might be able to carry one 2000's American, if you leave the door open.

One nice feature of the Avis kit is that it sits on all four wheels without any nose weight.

PR19_Kit

A very neat looking aeroplane..........er, car...............er, thing!  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Lovely twin-boom model, congratulations! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Well done - nice little model to have on the table and get conversations started. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, is this posted in the right section or should it be under Cars? Discuss... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Knightflyer

One passing thought on seeing this with the current Recce & Surveillance GB going on ...... I couldn't help but see it as a 1930's equivalent of the Edgley Optica,  :lol: especially if you were clever enough to extend the windows downwards.

Do agree with all above though, interesting AND cute!  :lol:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

JayBee

Quote from: Weaver on July 31, 2021, 06:26:58 AM
is this posted in the right section or should it be under Cars? Discuss... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Do not be silly ! We all know that cars, like pigs,  can not fly!  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

frank2056

The Stout Skycar II was a tad bigger than a Piper Cub! Still, it looks tiny next to a 1/72 figure:

scooter

Quote from: frank2056 on July 30, 2021, 08:11:26 PM

That flat windscreen looks like it does wonders for its aerodynamics.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Tophe

Not to hijack this topic devoted to a great plastic model, I have put a what-if derivative drawing on the twin-boom CGI topic of mine: <_<
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=20326.5625
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Thanks for posing it next to the figure, really gives you an idea of just how small it is  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

The Stout Skycar I (with Mr. Stout cosplaying as Groucho Marx) was Mr. Stout's "daily flyer" and still survives. Maybe at the time it was built, he didn't have the equipment, money or know-how to make blown windscreens? A curved or more aerodynamic windscreen would have helped with the cruise speed!

Tophe, the Stout Skycar 2B would have been like flying a motorcycle! Much of the front engine would be between the pilot's leg. Sounds like a good whif!