Under the Black Flag. Pirates, Buccaneers and Smugglers - Inspiration

Started by Old Wombat, August 04, 2021, 03:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on February 23, 2022, 09:15:33 AM

When BOAC transported ball bearings and tungsten from neutral Sweden in WW2 was that a form of smuggling?

No, that was wartime expediency.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Nick on February 23, 2022, 09:15:33 AM
Smokey and the Bandit - all about smuggling booze into another state. Not quite sure why it was illegal but anyway....  :cheers:

Bootlegging.  For whatever reason, Coors Beer couldn't be sold east of the Mississippi at the time.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

Biafra. When they broke off from Nigeria Biafra relied heavily on smuggling in food and weapons and getting oil out. You could do the Fouga Magisters and Meteors that were stopped before delivery, smuggle them in under a different flag etc.
They could get more and different transport aircraft for bringing supplies.

Somalia. Give those fishermen bigger and better armed boats. Lots of scope for anti-piracy actions and alternate vessels.

During or after the war a group of sailors mutiny and use their warship for nefarious ends. They prey on lone cargo ships and live off the proceeds on their remote island. Could be WW1 with a Town-class destroyer, WW2 with HMS Belfast or even post-WW3 with the much modified remains of a Type 42. You pick and choose!

loupgarou

For Biafra, you should read (maybe you have it already) Shadows: Airlift and Airwar in Biafra and Nigeria 1967-1970 by Michael Draper. Very good account of that airwar.
But, while smuggling was used for weapons, food was an official airlift, by the Red Cross and other organizations.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

jcf

You read that right. Coors, ubiquitous potion of good time brohood, was once illegal in certain states.
The movie was made in the late '70s, and at that time, Coors was actually a regional product. It was
made in Colorado, but because it wasn't pasteurized and contained no preservatives, shipping could
get a little tricky. Coors didn't get national distribution until 1986. Which is why, in the 1970s, Coors
wasn't actually licensed to sell east of the Mississippi, making it, briefly, a rare and sought-after
product.

https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/smokey-and-the-bandit-and-coors/

Horrible crap then and now.  :wacko:

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 26, 2022, 01:55:40 PM
You read that right. Coors, ubiquitous potion of good time brohood, was once illegal in certain states.
The movie was made in the late '70s, and at that time, Coors was actually a regional product. It was
made in Colorado, but because it wasn't pasteurized and contained no preservatives, shipping could
get a little tricky. Coors didn't get national distribution until 1986. Which is why, in the 1970s, Coors
wasn't actually licensed to sell east of the Mississippi, making it, briefly, a rare and sought-after
product.

https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/smokey-and-the-bandit-and-coors/

Horrible crap then and now.  :wacko:

Not tried it.
I've drunk Budweiser in New York which gave me the worst beer hangover i've ever experienced.  I blame this on the chemicals it contained (other than alcohol).  That was the first night of a visit.  After that I just drank Vodka for the rest of the trip.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Never liked US bottled beers, but then I'm not a fan of UK ones either. Must admit on my last couple of trips to the US I've drunk some decent draught, what I'd call bitter, in small local bars. Had some interesting conversations with barman/woman as well on the whole subject of draught v bottled  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Uh, I am not sure I will participate in this (rather violent) GB, about firing guns and all, but I have seen a picture about pirat aircraft at
https://hilbrandbos.art/naval-battle-mayhem
Weird shape of plane (that interests me more than war or equivalent).
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

perttime

Quote from: Tophe on February 27, 2022, 07:17:36 AM
Uh, I am not sure I will participate in this (rather violent) GB, about firing guns and all, but I have seen a picture about pirat aircraft at
That is an interesting aircraft! I have no idea where and how it takes off and lands....
Oh! Here's a view with the landing gear: https://hilbrandbos.art/battle-axe-vehicle-concept
The site doesn't allow saving the drawing, so other means are needed if you want to add it to your reference files.

... The GB also includes smuggling where you could stay away from violence. Just something to outsmart the legal authorities.

Tophe

loupgarou

Quote from: perttime on February 27, 2022, 09:48:44 AM
Quote from: Tophe on February 27, 2022, 07:17:36 AM
That is an interesting aircraft! I have no idea where and how it takes off and lands....
Oh! Here's a view with the landing gear: https://hilbrandbos.art/battle-axe-vehicle-concept
The site doesn't allow saving the drawing, so other means are needed if you want to add it to your reference files.

... The GB also includes smuggling where you could stay away from violence. Just something to outsmart the legal authorities.

I was going to answer along the same line, Tophe.
Lots of interesting and devious vehicles: cars or ships (or anything else) with hidden compartments or stealth (ish) ...any kind of smart ideas.
I am big fan of smuggling.  :wacko:
You could even build a figure with a BIG rucksack, an old classic for the tobacco trade on the swiss/italian border.  ;)
They even got a monument:
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spallone#/media/File:Statua_allo_Spallone.jpg
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Tophe

Thanks loupgarou!
I live very near to the home of Mandrin, the French smuggler of the 18th century that was called "bandit" by authorities because not paying taxes and "hero" by the poor people because he was selling cheap...

perttime

Or just something fast enough that the authorities cannot catch you. At least fast cars and boats have been used in real life smuggling. Aircraft would work too, with speed or smarts, or both.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on February 27, 2022, 09:48:44 AM

Take a screen shot and edit it with a graphics prog, I do it all the time.  ;)

From Hilbrand Bos.

I'm not sure about the take-off and landing performance of that, with the mainwheels are SO far aft it'd never rotate as such, and would have do the same as a B-52, and lift off in a very flat position. it'd need a LONG runway!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

Are we pirates now? ;D
... for keeping a copy of an image that the owner didn't want copied.

I remember patching together photos that needed 9 or 12 screenshots. Enlarging to around 300% lets me be sure that the pixels align correctly.