Under the Black Flag. Pirates, Buccaneers and Smugglers - Inspiration

Started by Old Wombat, August 04, 2021, 03:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I have one of these (the boat not the trailer - 1/25)...

...and the upper works of one of these...

...and I feel an outbreak of scaleorma coming on.

Something from the PDRV timeline.  A sky pirate launch or maybe a weedrunner.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

nighthunter

Quote from: zenrat on February 14, 2022, 03:20:00 AM
I have one of these (the boat not the trailer - 1/25)...

...and the upper works of one of these...

...and I feel an outbreak of scaleorma coming on.

Something from the PDRV timeline.  A sky pirate launch or maybe a weedrunner.
does anyone make 1/25 Ma Dueces or Russian weaps?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Who mid that 1/24-25 1920s Lincoln 4 door with the cache of gangsters weapons included? There were 2-3 .45 Thompsons, and various other pistols and rifles etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on February 13, 2022, 05:58:22 PM
Think I read Choosers OF The Slain from that series once (the one where they go up against the Argentine Navy in a re-run of the Falklands). I thought it was absolute rubbish to be honest: full of technical howlers by the ton. The one I remember is that the Cunningham 'tops up' with Standard SM-2 missiles from a Perry-class frigate that's departing the theatre: an operation that completely ignores the fact that the Cunningham has a Mk.41 VLS system, whose SM-2s therefore need launch boosters, while the Perry has a Mk.13 GMLS, whose SM-2s don't have boosters... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As an enthusiast, things in books like that really bother me, and I can't get past them.  I want to enjoy the book, but can't.  A few examples:

Dale Brown, Day of the Cheetah, the day after the hero's win the epic battle, they take up the heavily and still damaged F-15 for a farewell salute to the hero- numerous other things that stretched reality too far. Realty liked Flight of the Old Dog, but they got increasingly unbelievable and hard for me to read.

William Brinkly, The Last Ship, the novel.  The nuclear reactor on the US destroyer is running low, so they "top off" from a passing Russian Ship, and other howlers.

Super Coil, Robert Ari.  Stealth bomber goes missing, neat premise but full of glaring technical errors (pulling the ripcord to bail out of an F-16, running low on afterburner fuel, but still plenty of regular fuel, machine guns on an F-16, etc etc), glaring time and lapses of physics, (bad guy bails out of the bomber, but has time to get rescued in the Gulf of Mexico and get back to base and take up a fighter to meet he hero who just shot him down)  Hero jumping into a jet he really does not know how to fly- guess how he does?  B movie characters.  Awful, the first book in decades I threw down but had to finish it out to see if it could get any worse, and it did. 

Mrs. Sandiego89 also likes watching movies with me when I point out stuff like them calling it a Chinook in a movie, but it is CLEARLY a CH-46.....   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 16, 2022, 12:19:33 PM
Quote from: Weaver on February 13, 2022, 05:58:22 PM
Think I read Choosers OF The Slain from that series once (the one where they go up against the Argentine Navy in a re-run of the Falklands). I thought it was absolute rubbish to be honest: full of technical howlers by the ton. The one I remember is that the Cunningham 'tops up' with Standard SM-2 missiles from a Perry-class frigate that's departing the theatre: an operation that completely ignores the fact that the Cunningham has a Mk.41 VLS system, whose SM-2s therefore need launch boosters, while the Perry has a Mk.13 GMLS, whose SM-2s don't have boosters... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As an enthusiast, things in books like that really bother me, and I can't get past them.  I want to enjoy the book, but can't.  A few examples:

Dale Brown, Day of the Cheetah, the day after the hero's win the epic battle, they take up the heavily and still damaged F-15 for a farewell salute to the hero- numerous other things that stretched reality too far. Realty liked Flight of the Old Dog, but they got increasingly unbelievable and hard for me to read.

William Brinkly, The Last Ship, the novel.  The nuclear reactor on the US destroyer is running low, so they "top off" from a passing Russian Ship, and other howlers.

Super Coil, Robert Ari.  Stealth bomber goes missing, neat premise but full of glaring technical errors (pulling the ripcord to bail out of an F-16, running low on afterburner fuel, but still plenty of regular fuel, machine guns on an F-16, etc etc), glaring time and lapses of physics, (bad guy bails out of the bomber, but has time to get rescued in the Gulf of Mexico and get back to base and take up a fighter to meet he hero who just shot him down)  Hero jumping into a jet he really does not know how to fly- guess how he does?  B movie characters.  Awful, the first book in decades I threw down but had to finish it out to see if it could get any worse, and it did. 

Mrs. Sandiego89 also likes watching movies with me when I point out stuff like them calling it a Chinook in a movie, but it is CLEARLY a CH-46.....

The other thing that annoyed me about it had nothing to do with technicalities, it was just bloody awful writing, and that was the portrayal of the ship's captain and her casual affari with the senior helicopter pilot. If she's smart enough to be a ship's captain then she's too smart for that bit of gross unprofessionalism, and if she did let it happen, she sure as hell wouldn't broadcast it to the crew. Yet what do we see? She's commanding the ship from the CIC, in a real, shooting battle, and her boyfriend is standing behind her chair "with a reassuring hand on her shoulder..." bleurg... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

In all fairness though, there is ONE scene (and only one) that I'd like to see filmed , and that's when an Italian-built hydrofoil 'frigate' of the Argentine Navy tries to do a full-speed gun pass on the Cunningham, and the latter shoots her bow foil off with a 76mm: a 3000 ton warship having a car crash at 65 knots is something I'd like to see, although preferably from about halfd a mile away or on a screen.... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2022, 10:59:29 AM
Who mid that 1/24-25 1920s Lincoln 4 door with the cache of gangsters weapons included? There were 2-3 .45 Thompsons, and various other pistols and rifles etc.

MPC or AMT I think.
Fred

PR19_Kit

I know the feeling..........

In Dr. Strangelove the B-52 is en route to its final target at low loved over the Russian mountains, and its shadow is that of a B-17:banghead:

The late Mrs_PR19 :- 'Why are you shouting Kit dear?'
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2022, 07:47:27 AM

In Dr. Strangelove the B-52 is en route to its final target at low loved over the Russian mountains, and its shadow is that of a B-17:banghead:

:wacko: ;D
How did I miss that!?

Yeah, the former mrs_nighthunter absolutely hates watching movies with me, still, as I'll pick out anything odd or incorrect, but I don't hate it with certain inaccuracies, I enjoy them for the entertainment that they are. It's also that I know that certain things are unavailable, like true A6M Zekes or P-40B Tomahawks for WW2 films though Pearl Harbor (film) did a great job, but the story and concept of fighter pilots becoming bomber pilots may seem absurd, but not unlikely, as the best performing pilots got put into fighter units, and those who were a little behind them became Bomber pilots, so...
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2022, 07:47:27 AM

Kubrick knew the shadow was there, it wasn't a mistake.  ;)

jcf

Meanwhile back in the world of pirates and smugglers ...  ;)

Bill McCoy "King of Rum Row" with a Colt 'potato digger'.
Note the stenciling on the ammo box: 23INF. N.Y.G.  ;)

Bill only smuggled and sold real branded liquor, none of the counterfeit stuff, thus
the origin of the term "it's the real McCoy". Bill's schooner would meet the ships
from Canada or Europe out beyond the 12-mile US territorial limit, the booze would
be transferred to his schooner and the fast motor-boat runners would pickup their
orders from Bill and make the run to the shore.

Nick

Han Solo was a smuggler.
R2D2 smuggled a secret message to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Firefly featured a lot of smuggling.

My favourite sci-fi book is Mindstar Rising, set in a future England recovering from the aftermath of a failed Marxist government. One main character is a billionaire industrialist who made his money by smuggling hi-tech items into a dictatorship England using stealth transports bought from the Canadian Air Force.
Lockheed YC-55 Prowlers that resemble the B-2 stealth bombers, clamshell doors at the rear for cargo loading.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on February 18, 2022, 03:25:20 PM

Lockheed YC-55 Prowlers that resemble the B-2 stealth bombers, clamshell doors at the rear for cargo loading.

That's your build sorted then Nick  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Nick on February 18, 2022, 03:25:20 PM
Han Solo was a smuggler.
R2D2 smuggled a secret message to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Firefly featured a lot of smuggling.

My favourite sci-fi book is Mindstar Rising, set in a future England recovering from the aftermath of a failed Marxist government. One main character is a billionaire industrialist who made his money by smuggling hi-tech items into a dictatorship England using stealth transports bought from the Canadian Air Force.

Peter F Hamilton.  Good writer.  I enjoy his work.  It makes a change to have the future happening somewhere other than America.
In Fallen Dragon some of it even happens in Australia.
Fred

Nick

Smokey and the Bandit - all about smuggling booze into another state. Not quite sure why it was illegal but anyway....  :cheers:
Convoy - outchasing the law.
Mad Max 2 - smuggling oil out of the camp
Mad Max Fury Road - smuggling people to safety
American Made - smuggling drugs and guns

Whisky Galore! - stealing booze from a shipwreck is a form of piracy or tax avoidance.
Passport to Pimlico - fun with underground trains and British border guards  ;D

Hammerheads by Dale Brown - US Coast Guard V-22s chasing cigarette boats full of drugs.

When BOAC transported ball bearings and tungsten from neutral Sweden in WW2 was that a form of smuggling?