Lost Cosmonauts' 3D printed what-if playthings and emporium

Started by Lost Cosmonauts, August 11, 2021, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

As I was trying to say, things have taken more out of me than I realised so I haven't really been in the workshop doing new digital designs or printing so I've been resting up and making some standardish kit models which are real world but what-if adjacent

Woomera Fire Flash trials Meteor NF.11 from an xtrakit kit
Untitled by Lost Cosmonauts

Flexible deck trials Sea Vampire F.21 from an Airfix FB.5

Sea Venom for Blue Jay trials from a Frog kit

Portion Down chemical weapons simulation Hunter from an Airfix kit

Supermarine type 510 converted from an already built Attacker model (maybe Frog, I'm not sure)

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Surely the Sea Vampire wouldn't need its landing gear...................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 18, 2023, 07:27:04 AMSurely the Sea Vampire wouldn't need its landing gear...................  ;D

think  that the prototype/trials aircraft  retained the undercarriage so that they could divert to a wider range of airfields if  the trials  experienced problems.

This is a fine selection of trials aircraft!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Lost Cosmonauts

Thanks folks, in progress I have a P.1091 made out of a very much abused Airfix FGA.9 Hunter and a lot of plasticard

Untitled by Lost Cosmonauts, on Flickr

No wheels for it at the mo. I think I can bodge together the main wheels but a nose leg is trickier. Possibly end up atop a Perspex rod as a desktop model instead
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 18, 2023, 07:27:04 AMSurely the Sea Vampire wouldn't need its landing gear...................  ;D

Wouldn't it need it to take off?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Leading Observer on August 23, 2023, 03:15:59 AM

Ah, a good point, yes.  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 23, 2023, 11:36:22 AM

I seem to recall an article many years ago describing the use of the flight deck crane to "park" aircraft, and some sort of cradle for launching.

This book review may be of interest  https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/blog/david-hobbs-british-aircraft-carrier-design-that-led-the-world-part-1/
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: Rheged on August 24, 2023, 09:27:06 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 23, 2023, 11:36:22 AM

I seem to recall an article many years ago describing the use of the flight deck crane to "park" aircraft, and some sort of cradle for launching.

This book review may be of interest  https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/blog/david-hobbs-british-aircraft-carrier-design-that-led-the-world-part-1/

" Shore trials were flown by Lieutenant Commander Eric 'Winkle' Brown DSC AFC RN who flew a modified Vampire prototype, TG 286, and several specially modified naval Sea Vampire F 21s. These had conventional undercarriages but were specially built with strengthened fuselages capable of withstanding the impact of wheels-up landings." Thank you

Lost Cosmonauts

Another lengthy pause, I can't seem to get any decent number of days of feeling well strung together this year but am hopeful (still) that the latest upswing means a corner has been turned

Good to get to my first ever model show in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago and put some real faces and names to folks I only knew as forum presences and to see some of the excellent what ifs on the table.

I've since splashed out on a new laptop so I can run the 3D design software again - not gotten into it in anger yet so deciding on what I should do first.

No what ifs to report from the bench in the meantime - I've been making some of the airframes which crashed within a couple of miles radius from my abode so they are all very much real world types.

kitbasher

Fingers crossed the 'latest upswing' is a strong indicator that your health is indeed steadily improving, with no reversals ahead, Alistair.

Glad you enjoyed the model show, hope you saw some of your kits built up 'in the flesh'.

Here's to more F.155T creations in the future (plus other subjects, of course) 👍
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: kitbasher on November 09, 2023, 11:42:02 PMFingers crossed the 'latest upswing' is a strong indicator that your health is indeed steadily improving, with no reversals ahead, Alistair.

Glad you enjoyed the model show, hope you saw some of your kits built up 'in the flesh'.

Here's to more F.155T creations in the future (plus other subjects, of course) 👍

Thank you, still plodding away with no big backsteps so all good

I did indeed see a built up model - Martin's iteration of the SR P.137 which is a beast and a half. I'd only ever ran the kits and posted them as bits so it was a huge pleasure to see it assembled

F.155T antics have resumed - P.1103 has been started. General shape down but still a lot to do e.g. https://flic.kr/p/2phmuNT