Lost Cosmonauts' 3D printed what-if playthings and emporium

Started by Lost Cosmonauts, August 11, 2021, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Hi folks, I've been pointed toward this forum to share my builds a few times so finally took the plunge.

I'll do a kind of catch up post here and then add to it as I go along.

To save on some of the background as to when and why I got back into model making you can read a bit about me here https://uk.airfix.com/community/i-build-because/alistair

Anyhow, a couple of years ago my eye was caught by this bookazine in a WHSmiths

That got me thinking about scratch building but as I'd been musing about 3D printing as a way of adding to models I bought it and then started a little project of making digital designs and prints of these planes that were wholly new to me.

Working with a FDM printer (the kind that uses filament) and first tinkercad and then Fusion 360 I worked on some steadily more complex shapes

Miles M.52

XP-92C

Then from the bookazine

The RAE type with engines in the fuselage

The RAE type with engines in nacelles

I even had a go at the Fairey Delta 3 cover star

Fuelled by that (and encouraged by The Good Mr Wooksta and then TSRJoe) I branched out, bought some more books and started on some other designs

DH110

Vickers Type 582

DH108

More to follow shortly
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Lost Cosmonauts

^honestly there were meant to be pictures up there^

Anyone able to help explain how to make flickr and this forum play nicely together?
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Old Wombat

Sorry, I use SmugMug, but I did notice that Flickr didn't put .jpg or .jpeg, etc. at the end of the link. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 11, 2021, 07:32:58 AM
Sorry, I use SmugMug, but I did notice that Flickr didn't put .jpg or .jpeg, etc. at the end of the link. :unsure:

Thanks, altering the url to include the file type seems to work. I'll work through and edit them all

kerick

That's some impressive work! Welcome aboard the crazy train! (Cue Ozzie)
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rheged

There are a great many interesting items here.  Welcome to Whiffworld, you belong here!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

I've been called many things in my time - some of them even pleasant - but good? Lies, all lies.

Seriously, currently cleaning up the prototype P.8. It'll need some more sanding, plus strategic use of hot water. Hopefully will have it together by Sunday.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

buzzbomb

Nice CAD work. The models cleaned up well for an FDM printer.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: kerick on August 11, 2021, 09:46:18 AM
That's some impressive work! Welcome aboard the crazy train! (Cue Ozzie)

Very much appreciated, thank you

Quote from: Pellson on August 11, 2021, 10:15:51 AM
Oooh, that FD3... :wub:

Should be available as a kit toward the end of this year - I need to figure out the undercarriage bays and drooping cockpit section

Quote from: Rheged on August 11, 2021, 11:07:38 AM
There are a great many interesting items here.  Welcome to Whiffworld, you belong here!

Thanks, I love the early jets and how daring some of the designs were. Expect many many more

Quote from: kitbasher on August 11, 2021, 01:21:23 PM
EE P8 and DH127 please!

All over that like a rash

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 11, 2021, 03:10:43 PM
I've been called many things in my time - some of them even pleasant - but good? Lies, all lies.

Seriously, currently cleaning up the prototype P.8. It'll need some more sanding, plus strategic use of hot water. Hopefully will have it together by Sunday.

Jeez, that's quick work! - looking forward to seeing how it turns out and hopefully I'll be able to incorporate any changes into a neat finished version

Quote from: buzzbomb on August 11, 2021, 04:14:32 PM
Nice CAD work. The models cleaned up well for an FDM printer.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Cheers! The FDM printer was fine as far as it went but as you say they needed a fair bit of clean up. Layer lines and resolution were a bit of a sod so I got hold of an Anycubic Photon Mono DLP printer so I could try and improve things a bit. Still working up the breakdown of parts and how to best print the models but a few in the works

Miles M.52

English Electric P.8 (now in the good hands of Mr Wooksta

Armstrong Whitworth AW.58 delta winged version (off to a test builder and awaiting pictures and feedback)

Armstrong Whitworth AW.58 swept wing version (heading out today to a test builder)

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on August 11, 2021, 10:15:51 AM
Oooh, that FD3... :wub:

You and me both  :wub: and I don't normally stray into this period of aviation history.

Marvellous way to introduce yourself, welcome sir  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Great models! Resin printers are a step up from FDM and mono printers are a step up from RGB screen resin printers!

What resin did you use for the Miles M.52 canopy/forward nose? It looks very clear. My attempts with Anycubic clear resin yellowed quickly and weren't very clear, although either a dip in Future or clear resin (then re-cured) might have helped.

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 12, 2021, 06:15:33 AM

Marvellous way to introduce yourself, welcome sir  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you very much

Quote from: frank2056 on August 12, 2021, 10:34:52 AM
Great models! Resin printers are a step up from FDM and mono printers are a step up from RGB screen resin printers!

What resin did you use for the Miles M.52 canopy/forward nose? It looks very clear. My attempts with Anycubic clear resin yellowed quickly and weren't very clear, although either a dip in Future or clear resin (then re-cured) might have helped.

Cheers, for both the clear and opaque I've been using the Anycubic Eco which is their newish material based on an acrylated soy oil. It comes out misty because of the surface texture but like you say applying a clear coat inside and out improves matters considerably. On yellowing a thorough post cure with a UV lamp might help as often (or at least in the case of paints) yellowing is because of residual double bonds reacting with oxygen in the air. You often see it with old style solvent borne alkyd emulsions and gloss paints (dark yellowing) which is improved by exposure to sunlight. I've not heard of the same thing in acrylics but might be worth a try

Lost Cosmonauts

While I await the results of folks building the AW.58s and the P.8 I spent some time adding legs to the next planned print