Lost Cosmonauts' 3D printed what-if playthings and emporium

Started by Lost Cosmonauts, August 11, 2021, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

For what-iffery purposes I decided to model a Fireflash missile and some rails for the AW.58 designs

Based on the test build I've made some revisions on the part breakdown for the EE P.8 and print orientation - has come out ok apart from a slight kink at the very wingtip where I think the geometry change around the start of the missile rail has caused a small distortion. Not particularly big but I think adding a couple of supports and I'll then be happy(ish)

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

RAFF-35

Please tell me you're planning on printing multiple M.52s!!! I'd absolutely love one!!!
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: RAFF-35 on August 15, 2021, 01:35:57 PM
Please tell me you're planning on printing multiple M.52s!!! I'd absolutely love one!!!

You, Sir, are in luck. All of my prints will eventually be available but the M.52 is already and waiting

https://www.numonday.com/shop/gannet-scale-models-store/

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Martin H

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on August 13, 2021, 01:29:17 AM
While I await the results of folks building the AW.58s and the P.8 I spent some time adding legs to the next planned print

That got my attention!

welcome to the mad house.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: Martin H on August 15, 2021, 04:15:51 PM
That got my attention!

welcome to the mad house.

Thank you, hopefully a few more attention grabbing real life models inbound as well

Lost Cosmonauts

Based on the test build comments (and very pleased with how it has come out looking so far) the revised breakdown of parts for the English Electric P.8 looks thusly

Shock cone, two front section halves, cockpit glazing and framing, mid section, individual wings, engine bay covers upper and lower, main undercarriage bays, rear tail and exhausts, missiles x2

Wing warp not as bad as I had feared but still needs the smallest of tweakettes

kitbasher

I think you'll find Alistair that the phrase is 'a bijou tweakette'   ;)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

Plenty to look forward to! Loving the monster of course, also the Type 582 & Delta III.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rick Lowe

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: kitbasher on August 16, 2021, 01:26:55 AM
I think you'll find Alistair that the phrase is 'a bijou tweakette'   ;)

Bijou tweakette in progress - Lee has done a beautiful job of the test print. Alternative orientation of the wings was a bit fiddly but I think I've figured that out now. New print in progress. If that works then I think I can add it to my store

AW.58 delta has had some primer and a bit of filler https://www.instagram.com/p/CSmxNpcjlnk/

With any luck crudebuteffective has the swept wing AW.58 now so we'll see how that goes

frank2056

The  English Electric P.8 looks great. Have you tried baking soda air eraser (near the bottom of the page) to remove some of the print lines?

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: frank2056 on August 17, 2021, 10:55:07 AM
The  English Electric P.8 looks great. Have you tried baking soda air eraser (near the bottom of the page) to remove some of the print lines?

Thank you! As I'm printing using the same resin technology as model monkey I don't think it'll work but thanks for the tip and link

Gondor

That P.8 is starting to look very interesting indeed  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: Gondor on August 17, 2021, 01:34:10 PM
That P.8 is starting to look very interesting indeed  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Thank you, I've added it to my storefront and all being well should have printed a couple so I have stock from Friday

AW.58 delta build has hit a small stagette - I forgot to delete the section of wing that intersects with the spine fillet so...

Builder is confident he can come up with a workaround, I've revised my digital model based on the build so far and all in all I've got to say I'm pretty happy with how it looks

Old Wombat

Apart from the T-tail, that's a rather nice looking aircraft! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est