Lost Cosmonauts' 3D printed what-if playthings and emporium

Started by Lost Cosmonauts, August 11, 2021, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: kitbasher on August 21, 2021, 08:44:35 AM
Maybe an F155T theme.

So... a good point to mention that the plan is to do the Fairey Delta 3?

Quote from: kitbasher on August 21, 2021, 08:48:41 AM
Gone and done it. Ordered the last one in the shop.  Now to decide whether to d it as a P.8 as designed or as an 'in service' machine with a few of my own minor 'bijou tweakettes' of the sort that took the P1 to the Lightning - possibly to Lightning F3 level.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 21, 2021, 10:23:42 AM
I've got my second one on order, to do a late 80s one in the greys, possibly with one of the Phantom units rather than an ex Lightning sqn.  Toying with the idea of a Royal Navy one.

My Telford theme would be more of a collection of builds of Gannet Scale Models products with the appropriate blurb, possibly to drum up some extra trade.

Thanks both, look forward to seeing how they turn out. Kitbasher's will go out as soon as i can get to the post office next week, The Wooksta! I'm surprised yours isn't already with you. Hopefully it'll trouble your doormat Monday

I'd be delighted to have a couple of models feature through the SIG in whatever form
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Lost Cosmonauts

Thank you crudebuteffective for the test build, incredibly useful feedback and in progress pictures of the AW.58 swept wing. Love it!

A snapshot of some of the in-progress pics

The finished build
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Lost Cosmonauts

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on August 21, 2021, 06:05:46 AM
but the sheer size of it means it is a multi day print

That's the part of the process that my brain really struggles with. I know some precision machined parts can take hours, but my brain can deal with the removal of material. When it comes to accumulating material however ? Strange how our brains get used to reacting a certain way.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 22, 2021, 02:05:58 AM
That's the part of the process that my brain really struggles with. I know some precision machined parts can take hours, but my brain can deal with the removal of material. When it comes to accumulating material however ? Strange how our brains get used to reacting a certain way.

It makes more sense once you've watched them do their thing for a little while (and they can be quite hypnotising at times) - for a lot of things they allow you to create shapes and designs impossible by normal processes. Down side is that it is pretty slow - the P.8 takes about 10 hours of printing, the P.187 is about 21

The tech is more and more finding a way into full size aerospace https://www.ge.com/additive/additive-manufacturing/industries/aviation-aerospace & marine applications https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles/navy-partnership-goes-new-depths-first-3d-printed-submersible

kitbasher

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on August 22, 2021, 01:01:32 AM
Thank you crudebuteffective for the test build, incredibly useful feedback and in progress pictures of the AW.58 swept wing. Love it!

A snapshot of some of the in-progress pics

The finished build

Very fast-looking Dan Dare stuff!  My preference is the delta-wing version though, looks a smarter design.

Here's a thought for a possible F155T- themed kit: how about the first rendering of the Hawker P1103, the one that looks a bit like a Starfighter with a Hunter fin/tailplane, Hunter wings and Thunderflash intakes?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Easier to go for the proposed production version that led to P.1121.  Not only does it look better, there are decent drawings of it (albeit 144th) with sections in the Paul Martell-Mead book on P.1121
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 22, 2021, 10:46:10 AM
Easier to go for the proposed production version that led to P.1121.  Not only does it look better, there are decent drawings of it (albeit 144th) with sections in the Paul Martell-Mead book on P.1121

The drawings aspect I agree.  As for appearance, we'll agree to disagree.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: kitbasher on August 22, 2021, 12:10:35 PM

The drawings aspect I agree.  As for appearance, we'll agree to disagree.

To be honest I was eventually planning on doing both so you can build them and then compare aesthetic merits

Bit of printing, clean up and curing today so not much practical progress to show off. Since I'm posting an Apollo capsule, some fireflashes, the test P.187 and couple of P.8s off tomorrow I best crack on and write something that might pass for an instruction sheet and scare up some cardboard boxes

The Wooksta!

The P.8 did indeed arrive yesterday. Only just got it now. The Miles 52 drone is a thing of beauty.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

crudebuteffective

the M52 drone is very nice and it arrived on the same day as airfixs new mold mosquito, as if it was mean to happen
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 22, 2021, 02:02:06 PM
Is it too early to put in an order for a P.187? 😂

You've tipped over from a maybe to a yes? A smidge early - I've not even got the test one in the post yet and I already see three changes I want to make (add the pitot to the tail, make the airbrake outline clearer, resize the moving fillet between the tailfin and tailplane slightly)

Hopefully not too long to wait & I plan to have the production AW58s from next week and P.187 shortly after