Lost Cosmonauts' 3D printed what-if playthings and emporium

Started by Lost Cosmonauts, August 11, 2021, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on August 22, 2021, 09:06:08 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 22, 2021, 02:05:58 AM
That's the part of the process that my brain really struggles with. I know some precision machined parts can take hours, but my brain can deal with the removal of material. When it comes to accumulating material however ? Strange how our brains get used to reacting a certain way.

It makes more sense once you've watched them do their thing for a little while (and they can be quite hypnotising at times) - for a lot of things they allow you to create shapes and designs impossible by normal processes. Down side is that it is pretty slow - the P.8 takes about 10 hours of printing, the P.187 is about 21

The only 3D printing I've seen in the flesh so to speak was by a machine they had in the Science Museum Kensington Children's section downstairs about 20 years or so ago and it was quite hypnotising even if what it was printing was very basic and very crude.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 23, 2021, 06:11:43 AM
The only 3D printing I've seen in the flesh so to speak was by a machine they had in the Science Museum Kensington Children's section downstairs about 20 years or so ago and it was quite hypnotising even if what it was printing was very basic and very crude.

It has been around for about 35 years and has had the typical hype, bust and then application cycle that most innovations go through.

Anyhow... planes

A couple of P.8s, an Apollo splashdown capsule, a couple of fireflash missiles, some custom D&D miniatures, a reproduction dinosaur skull and the 1/144 prototype P.187 all went off into the postal void this week. Apologies if you've been looking on the numonday store front for the P.8 - I've been racing to catch up with myself and not been able to restock yet

Test print this week - after looking at the 1/144 P.187 I decided to make a couple of bijoux tweakettes:
- modification of the fillet between the tailplane and tail fin to bring it forward a smudge
- addition of the pitot tube on the talfin
- addition of the Blue Jay missiles and rails
- raising the airbrakes a fraction of a mm proud of the surface to make the edges clearer

First test print of a tail and mid fuselage section at 1/72 placed side by side with the English Electric P.8 for comparison

By way of a teaser for the next project aiming to be available from mid September

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Rheged

This is fascinating to see.  I currently don't have the time and will probably never have the skill to justice to these items, but I can appreciate a really first class product when I encounter it.  Keep up this excellent work!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2021, 10:21:25 AM
That P.187 is GINORMOUS!  :o
Well Saro did like to mess around with building large aircraft......................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: Rheged on August 26, 2021, 09:19:19 AM
This is fascinating to see.  I currently don't have the time and will probably never have the skill to justice to these items, but I can appreciate a really first class product when I encounter it.  Keep up this excellent work!

Thank you, I'm still learning but getting there. The modelling community has been great with feedback and source material for making steady improvements

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2021, 10:21:25 AM
That P.187 is GINORMOUS!  :o

It is certainly a challenge to your signature text about improving a plane by lengthening the fuselage. This would end up straddling two postcodes

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on August 27, 2021, 01:33:38 AM

It is certainly a challenge to your signature text about improving a plane lengthening the fuselage. This would end up straddling two postcodes

I've done that sort of thing before, search 'Boeing 777-900'.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 27, 2021, 05:52:45 AM
I've done that sort of thing before, search 'Boeing 777-900'.  ;D ;D

I'd say it isn't big or clever but actually it is both, well done

Progress of sorts. Version 2.0 of the Armstrong Whitworth AW.58 swept wing print after a test build is done

Still to get a 2nd hit with the UV stick but looking pretty nice. Have listed it in the numonday store front but as with the P.8 I can't list any stock at the moment as folks messaging to preorder have cleared me out for a couple of weeks worth of production

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on August 27, 2021, 06:04:14 AM

I'd say it isn't big or clever but actually it is both, well done

Glad you like it.  :thumbsup:

When shown in the competition at Telford, the rest of the SIG reckoned it was in Classes 32 AND 34 as well as in its intended Class 33 entry.  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

The level of detail looks really good  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There's something quite mesmerising seeing it in clear plastic, wasn't there a DC Comic's character who flew a flew a clear (or was it meant to be invisible) aircraft ? I was never into US comics I'm afraid so can't remember.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 27, 2021, 06:13:35 AM

There's something quite mesmerising seeing it in clear plastic, wasn't there a DC Comic's character who flew a flew a clear (or was it meant to be invisible) aircraft ? I was never into US comics I'm afraid so can't remember.

Wonder Woman

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on August 27, 2021, 07:39:46 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 27, 2021, 06:13:35 AM

Wonder Woman

Gondor

Ta  :thumbsup:

Lost Cosmonauts

1/72 Saunder Roe P.187 is mostly printed and pending one or two replacement bits which are on the machine will go off tomorrow.

Scaled down print at 1/144 is getting the attentions of Mossie so... what to do next? Plan was to work on the Fairey Delta 3 next but I decided I needed to point my eyes at something a bit different. A GB on another forum gave me a nice alternative - a tribute to a recently passed modeller who was into Luft '46 and helicopters. The Heinkel Lerche combines a bit of each & as far as I know the defunct Unicraft kit was the only game in town so a bit of a session working on the design of that

Quite quick as there is a lot of rotational symmetry which means your efforts get rewarded quite quickly

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Lost Cosmonauts