Lost Cosmonauts' 3D printed what-if playthings and emporium

Started by Lost Cosmonauts, August 11, 2021, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 16, 2021, 12:49:51 PM
I simply don't have the time to do everything.
I dunno, you do a good impression of a modeller capable of just about any transformation in no time. I bet if I got a FD3 to you the week before Telford it'd show up finished and immaculate

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 16, 2021, 12:23:39 PM
You just KNOW that's going to be HUGE!  :o

I think, and I'm prepared to be corrected here, that the P.8 was the smallest of the competitors. SR P.187 was the biggest but the AW169 was more slender but similar length and span & the FD3 was only slightly smaller. There is a great diagram in plan view in Tony Wilson's Lightning book of all the competitors at the same scale

Quote from: crudebuteffective on September 16, 2021, 08:01:26 AM
I think a lot of people on this site have experienced that "F155T itch" at some point and now you're basically their dealer lol

You can blame Wooksta! for spotting my nascent 3D printer whiffery obsession and then adding fuel to the embers
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Gondor

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on September 16, 2021, 06:24:33 AM

Most recent update on the Fairey Delta 3 and the distinctive droop snoot

Looks very nice indeed, but not untill next year thanks....

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on September 16, 2021, 01:06:46 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 16, 2021, 12:49:51 PM
I simply don't have the time to do everything.
I dunno, you do a good impression of a modeller capable of just about any transformation in no time. I bet if I got a FD3 to you the week before Telford it'd show up finished and immaculate.

You can blame Wooksta! for spotting my nascent 3D printer whiffery obsession and then adding fuel to the embers

I probably could, provided it arrived the Friday before. If that's a challenge then you're on!

Would have to be a simple scheme, but I'd be aiming for the cover of the first British Secret Projects book.

And it's good to know I'm a good influence sometimes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Martin H

AS shown in my own thread, the P187 is done!

Shown with a Freightdog SR177 as a size comparison.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitbasher

Quote from: Martin H on September 19, 2021, 12:42:22 PM

But I guess dimensionally it's not much different to the CF-105 and overall a tad smaller than the EE P12.  But it is a chunky monkey!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 16, 2021, 03:00:44 PM
If that's a challenge then you're on!

We'll just have to see what happens, house renovations are going to be pretty full on over the next couple of weeks but I'll do my best

Looks brilliant! I love it (and am very jealous that I've not been able to do one yet) will have to get more of these out and into folks' hands over the next couple of weeks

Quote from: kitbasher on September 19, 2021, 12:48:13 PM
But I guess dimensionally it's not much different to the CF-105 and overall a tad smaller than the EE P12.  But it is a chunky monkey!

You think? I thought it was some 20ft longer than the Canberra and a heck of a lot thicker around the middle. Anyone building the set of this, the FD3 and the Armstrong Whitworth competitor is going to have to set aside a LOT of shelf space

Meanwhile in other progress the revised Armstrong Whitworth AW58 delta is coming together (build is by @the_dunc_works on instagram) although my work on the wing to fuselage join is a bit clumsy and required the use of a kid to square it up and hold till the glue set

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

NARSES2

So when it ran out of missiles did it just swallow the odd bomber or two with that huge gaping maw of an intake ?  ;) And I'm only half joking.

In all seriousness, and this is not my period of real interest so I'm not that familiar with the projects of the time, but I've always been rather surprised by the seemingly lack of armament carried by these types. A couple of missiles, four at best ?, against a swarm of Soviet bombers. It's as though those in charge knew they had no chance but still had to put up some form of token defence plan to calm the general public ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 20, 2021, 12:15:34 AM

So when it ran out of missiles did it just swallow the odd bomber or two with that huge gaping maw of an intake ? 

And there's another one on the other side too!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

So when it ran out of missiles did it just swallow the odd bomber or two with that huge gaping maw of an intake ?  ;) And I'm only half joking.

In all seriousness, and this is not my period of real interest so I'm not that familiar with the projects of the time, but I've always been rather surprised by the seemingly lack of armament carried by these types. A couple of missiles, four at best ?, against a swarm of Soviet bombers. It's as though those in charge knew they had no chance but still had to put up some form of token defence plan to calm the general public ?

20 years later the comparable Mig-25 could only carry 4 missiles and still put the wind up every Western defence analyst

NARSES2

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on September 20, 2021, 04:55:08 AM

20 years later the comparable Mig-25 could only carry 4 missiles and still put the wind up every Western defence analyst

Very true, but could NATO have put up even a tenth of the bombers it assumed the Soviets could ? Plus "we" also assumed that "they" could fly all the aircraft "we" thought they had  ;) Gets complicated, far easier to think of it as a way of justifying defence expenditure and maintaining the size of "your" departmental budget. Can you tell I've done business with a few Government departments in my time ? :angel:

Seriously though they look cracking kits and I'm looking forward to seeing them on the SIG table at Telford  :thumbsup: There are some interesting British mid 40's projects that never got off the drawing board you know  ;) ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on September 19, 2021, 01:52:54 PM

Quote from: kitbasher on September 19, 2021, 12:48:13 PM

You think? I thought it was some 20ft longer than the Canberra and a heck of a lot thicker around the middle. Anyone building the set of this, the FD3 and the Armstrong Whitworth competitor is going to have to set aside a LOT of shelf space

Well, just checked the dimensions and honestly I thought it would be shorter than a P.12.  Shows how much I know - or rather don't! 
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Hobbes

- these were Red Deans, which are massive, which limits the number you can carry.
- radar-guided missiles at that time had to be guided to their target: the aircraft had to point its radar at the target and the missile would follow the reflections. This limited the number of missiles you could fire in the time available for an intercept. IR missiles and later radar-guided AAMs like AMRAAM are fire-and-forget, which don't have this limitation.

NARSES2

Lost Cosmonauts

Limited model making progress for a few days (visit to see family, home renovations and not feeling particularly well have all gotten in the way over the last week) but I've splashed out on a new printer to try and catch up with myself a bit

Need for test print to try out the new printer means time to give the Heinkel Lerche a go - bottom two sections

Seems to have worked ok so the printer will get another couple of try outs then be pressed into service churning out the kits already ordered

The Wooksta!

I have a willing victim to build the test print.

Looks good so far.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic