Gannet Scale Models

Started by Mossie, August 11, 2021, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I don't recommend dropping scalpel into a thigh. Did that thirty years back and had t been an inch another way, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 14, 2022, 07:32:17 AM
I don't recommend dropping scalpel into a thigh. Did that thirty years back and had t been an inch another way, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I got a good safety demo when I was young as I watched my Dad (a trained carpenter) in the loft hobby area not bother with a workbench to save a moment and balance a bit of wood on his thigh to saw. The result was as messy as you'd expect and getting down the ladder while bleeding was "interesting"
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Gondor

I did the scalpel trick myself some forty years ago despite the Humbrol modelling knife have a knobbly end to stop it rolling  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Green Dragon

Lost my scalpel once, found it sticking vertically out of my foot. Didn't feel a thing. Until I pulled it out!  :banghead:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Scotaidh

The last time I used a scalpel was in college.  I broke the stupidly thin blade when I applied too much sideways force and the blade shattered like a New Years' resolution ... 

After that demonstration of weakness, I've never used one again.  For modeling I use X-acto knives, and I use one with a very dull blade.  I have new blades, and blade holders with new blades in them - I keep them in a small drawer for that one time in a thousand that I need a sharp blade. 

I find the dull blade much more useful for scraping duties, which is 90%+ of the uses I have that knife.  The broken-off tip is great for scribing lines in plastic and clearing dried paint from the lids of my Humbrol paint tins; the back of the blade is great for scraping down joint lines and the built-up paint on my stir-sticks ...

The only time I actually use X-actos for cutting is to cut the shrink-wrap on a new model box or to trim masking tape or separate decals so I can soak them individually instead of the whole sheet at once.  :)

The scalpel? I used it once after breaking the "lab" blade ... I used a hook-shaped blade to remove a small piece of glass from the sole of my foot.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Lost Cosmonauts

Scalpel related accidents aside there has been some progress

Umpteen Fairey Delta 3s are off into the world and I'll hopefully get some finished pictures to share

Now the printers have a bit of capacity to spare I can try something new again. The DeHavilland DH117 is ready to try out and once printed will head in the direction of brave test pilot Kitbasher

Will amend the image embedding bit if you want you can see the render here

and layout of bits on the print surface here

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Gondor

That looks like the slimline version of an F-89, well if you squint a bit...

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Quote from: Gondor on January 25, 2022, 01:55:51 PM
That looks like the slimline version of an F-89, well if you squint a bit...

Gondor

That and/or a pedestrian F-101B.

But hey, very excited to be test driving the kit!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Rat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 14, 2022, 07:32:17 AM

Femoral artery?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Lost Cosmonauts

A bit of an epic share of images as there's been a lot happening - the good Mr The Wooksta! has kindly lent his skills to casting some add ons for the P.8 e.g. tail fins, retracted IFR probe, belly tank for your what-offing needs and those have been added to the store and are displayed below on some fetching builds by aforementioned Mr W!, Gary Marshall, Mr Martin H and Mr crudebuteffective

Single seater:

Twin seater:

AW.58 delta:

AW.58 swept wing:

Lost Cosmonauts

And in pictures of new additions to the range news we have:

The Fairey Delta 3 pictured almost complete by Mr The Wooksta! and as a license built Rockwell F-110 Titan armed with AIM-54s by Mr crudebuteffective, thank you gents

In answer to the siren call of the Z.122 missiles for the TSR2 and the armed Concorde earlier in the thread these have also been run off and added to the range

Lost Cosmonauts

P.S. I was pleased to have almost caught up with orders and managed to restock the numonday store front but that was apparently just throwing fresh meat into the lion enclosure and y'all have ransacked me again. If there's something you are after and it is showing as out of stock please drop me a line and I'll add you to the print queue. Am working flat out to keep up

Lost Cosmonauts

I've been busy and while I haven't updated numonday storefront yet today I think (overnight print gods willing) that I have at least one of everything and multiples of most

1/72 Blue Water missiles are new and not listed yet pending getting some pictures sorted out

kitnut617

And my order for the Z.122's arrived today, or I should say were at the post office when I went today. I think they arrived Friday.

Lovely bits of work they are too ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike