Gannet Scale Models

Started by Mossie, August 11, 2021, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: McColm on November 28, 2021, 06:21:46 AM
Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on November 28, 2021, 05:51:06 AM
Quote from: McColm on November 28, 2021, 04:58:25 AM
Have you ever thought of making conversion sets in 1/72 scale? I have a long list of ideas that would go towards your beer tokens or Christmas present funds.

I'm happy to take suggestions but my radius gauges and micrometer are in storage while we renovate the house so it may be for Christmas '22 present funds
That's okay I can wait.

Thanks, Feel free to drop me a message with your wishlist or add it as a post in the meantime
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

McColm

Turning the 1/72 Airfix or Italeri  Shorts Sunderland MkV into the Sandringham. A plug for the nose, rear and upper gun turrets.
Plugs for the twin fuselage weapons doors and a template for the fuselage windows. I think there's a difference in the engines on the later models.

McColm

Then there's the 1/72 Allison 501D the commercial version of the T-56 turboprop engine.
If you could produce these with the Mach2 Convair 580 as the donor kit.
You could alter the diameter to suit the 1/72 Lockheed Constellation or Boeing 377/B-29.
It could also be an alternative to the turboprop Neptune.
This would save me a lot of time of having to soften up the plastic to slide the T-56 engines inside.

The Grumman E-2 Hawkeye stand and rotodome in 1/72 scale. If this was sold as as a separate kit including the air scoops,  maybe the Saab Eerieye AWACS scanner.

1/72 fuselages
A decent Avro York and the Avro Lincoln.

If you do 1/72 helicopter rotor blades then the Boeing Chinook, because they have a tendency to snap off.

The Wooksta!

No point in a York as there's a complete kit from Mach Poo and two superb conversions from CMR. Ditto Lincoln, which is covered with several available conversions  and a complete vactorm.

In any case, both are too big for the printer Alistair uses. Breaking them down increases complexity, time and thus cost.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

KiwiZac

Quote from: McColm on November 28, 2021, 07:29:00 AM
Turning the 1/72 Airfix or Italeri  Shorts Sunderland MkV into the Sandringham. A plug for the nose, rear and upper gun turrets.
Plugs for the twin fuselage weapons doors and a template for the fuselage windows. I think there's a difference in the engines on the later models.
*cough* Solent Mk.IV *cough*
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

McColm

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 28, 2021, 08:39:15 PM
To be honest I have never heard of the Solent before you mentioned it. Britmodeler has a feature on this conversion but I would still like to have the blanking plates and alternative engines for my build. Four T56 turboprops  would look gorgeous.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on November 29, 2021, 12:37:56 AM
To be honest I have never heard of the Solent before you mentioned it. Britmodeler has a feature on this conversion but I would still like to have the blanking plates and alternative engines for my build. Four T56 turboprops  would look gorgeous.

T56's are available if you look

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP72103B?result-token=OIJNq

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on November 29, 2021, 05:34:56 AM

Gondor

And so are Darts, and they fit almost without any work to do.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Gondor
They are oblong/rectangle so they don't fit on radial engines. I know as I have tried.

McColm

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 29, 2021, 07:01:35 AM

Gondor

And so are Darts, and they fit almost without any work to do.

Heritage Aviation used to sell the resin Rolls Royce Darts as well as the Dakota Turboprop engines but the company has closed down.

kitnut617

Well try Aircraft in Miniature 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Lost Cosmonauts

Engine debate aside my current fixed to-do list is:
- DeHavilland DH117
- Blackburn P.139
- Armstrong Whitworth AW.189
- Hawker P.1103
- Vickers Type 582
- RAE designs for a Mach 2 aeroplane (engines in fuselage and engines in nacelles)
- Fairey Small
- English Electric P.6
- English Electric P.1

The Esteemed Misters Wooksta, Thorvik and others have chipped in with other interesting suggestions. My main criteria isn't commercial viablity and is more like "Is this something I want to make a model off myself"

Other mullings (non exclusive list off the top of my head) include:
- Armstrong Whitworth AW.171/172
- BAC P.141

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

kitbasher

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on November 29, 2021, 09:08:27 AM
Engine debate aside my current fixed to-do list is:
- DeHavilland DH117
- Blackburn P.139
- Armstrong Whitworth AW.189
- Hawker P.1103
- Vickers Type 582
- RAE designs for a Mach 2 aeroplane (engines in fuselage and engines in nacelles)
- Fairey Small
- English Electric P.6
- English Electric P.1

The Esteemed Misters Wooksta, Thorvik and others have chipped in with other interesting suggestions. My main criteria isn't commercial viability and is more like "Is this something I want to make a model off myself"

Other mullings (non exclusive list off the top of my head) include:
- Armstrong Whitworth AW.171/172
- BAC P.141

DH127!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

BAC 583 and their P.45 VG trainer
I keep banging on about the operational Supermarket 545 and the trainer version, the 554. One fuselage and wings, two noses.  The latter is applicable to the Swift wth a new canopy.
That Boulton-Paul trainer, I forget the designation.
Hawker P.1125 and P.1129
And I'll second Dave's request for a DH.127
There's a VG Hawker proposal, but I can't recall the designation.

TBH, there's shedloads of projects I'd like.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Was the DH127 that one with a pair of swivelling exhaust nozzles as well as a conventional exhaust?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit