Gannet Scale Models

Started by Mossie, August 11, 2021, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 12, 2021, 05:58:38 AM
That Saunders-Roe machine has to be the BIGGEST ever proposal for an RAF 'fighter'!  :o :o

Not a fighter but I have been working on another design which you've been suggested as a potential test builder for

How occupied is your bench?
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

PR19_Kit

I LOVE it!  :wub: :wub:

My bench is always 110% occupied, but there's always room for more, SPECIALLY those with long wings!  ;D

That's Mr. Wallis' Swallow project, isn't it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 19, 2022, 02:42:24 PM
I LOVE it!  :wub: :wub:

My bench is always 110% occupied, but there's always room for more, SPECIALLY those with long wings!  ;D

That's Mr. Wallis' Swallow project, isn't it?

Well spotted, it is indeed

Drop me a line and we can figure out getting that bench to 150% full
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Lost Cosmonauts

Some moving around of 1s and 0s

Engines shrunk to 2/3 of the previous size. Rear wheels and bays moved as far back and outboard as I can without fouling the wings. Nosewheel moved to front of the bay to retract rearwards

A fair bit of guesswork and interpretation in it but looks the part - will try a print at 1/144 and see how we fare from there

Lost Cosmonauts

Even more exciting than my digital fettling - some folks have been making these in real life and making a splendid job of doing so:

Fairey Delta 3s from Mr. crudebuteffective and Thorvic

Armstrong Whitworth AW.58 delta

NARSES2

I know it's not my period, but I do like the Fairey Delta  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I always think the AW58 looks how the Javelin SHOULD have been.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

I was pretty unhappy with the shape and started redoing the digital design but out of curiosity decided to print the Swallow kit as is to see how it looked

Far happier with it in resin than in pixels - I might hold off redoing it

Based on Chris Gibson's drawing and Bill Rose's text in British Secret Projects book on deltas

Going to be post cured tomorrow and then dispatched to PR19_Kit for a test build (and hopefully he won't see fit to stretch the wings on this one)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on February 23, 2022, 05:39:48 AM

Going to be post cured tomorrow and then dispatched to PR19_Kit for a test build (and hopefully he won't see fit to stretch the wings on this one)

Even I'd have a job stretching THOSE wings!  ;D They almost vanish entirely at the tip!

Looking forward to getting at this one.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

images coming tomorrow but this'll do for now - I realise I draw up, print and make models of military planes but that's not to glorify or revel in warfare. I just appreciate pointy planes designed to go very very fast

The attacks on the Ukraine are horrendous and will hopefully be repulsed but at the moment as real missiles are striking, killing and injuring people it seems like the least that my model weapons can do is hopefully help and shelter those most in need - all proceeds of sales of missiles by @numondaycom store, messages here, facebook or assorted model making forums will go to the Red Cross funds for relief of suffering caused by the Russian invasion. Z.122 £10, Fireflash £8 a pair, Blue Water £7.50 each with options of standard shape or short nose and folded fins for TSR.2 fit, Red Dean £10 a pair

Even if you don't need some what-if missiles then this is the Red Cross link - I had a bit of a balance in my paypal account so have already made a first donation to start off

https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-crisis-appeal

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Lost Cosmonauts

Better pic of the Blue Steel and options e.g. long/short nose, ready for flight or folded fins and tailbone yay or nay

Lost Cosmonauts

Thanks to the fine test building of Mr Kitbasher we can lay eyes on the DH117 model. He'll do a post in due course in resplendent technicolour and detail so as a nod to the 1950s I'll limit myself to grainy black and white

My test print had warped tailplanes, missing rudder detail and too narrow a canopy so the final model is a testament to some very fine fettling

Lost Cosmonauts

Thanks folks who've ordered model missiles directly or via the store. All money received from these sales is going to the Red Cross efforts to aid Ukraine

£70 so far

Lost Cosmonauts

Oooh, lots of things to share so apologies if this post sprawls a bit

The ever productive Mr @crudebuteffective has lived up to 50% of his username by very effectively building a DH117 as licence built by deHaviland Canada, kit bashing together a Fairey Delta 3 and the SaRo P.187 into a Spectrum vehicle and cobbling together a pre-production Barnes Wallis Swallow at 1/144 (PR19_Kit is doing the official test build but I have to maintain a regular supply to keep Oliver hooked)

I managed to eventually print the 1/72 Heinkel Lerche for a test build

Same status with the Armstrong Whitworth AW.171

and after much much arm twisting I've had a go at breaking the Barnes Wallis Swallow down into more parts so I can fit it into a printer at 1/72. It A. works B. Looks very very sinisterly cool in black. This is a late strike proposal so is pretty darned big at about 58cm span, pen included in shot for scale. Too big for me to display anywhere (even though I really want to do it in grey/green low level came and hang a couple of stand off missiles under it