Boulton-Paul P.119

Started by Weaver, August 15, 2021, 04:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Well here's something I'd never heard of before: the Boulton-Paul P.119 jet trainer, with light attack capability. Never got further than this rather convincing wooden mockup.

Info posted on Twitter by Trev Clark here: https://twitter.com/clark_aviation/status/1426861232565493763?s=20

More info here: http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_boulton_paul_P119.html

EDIT: found a three-view (above, right). The tail looks a bit like the P.120, doesn't it?

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

What a neat looking machine, well spotted H.  :thumbsup:

Yet another type with NACA flush intakes that didn't make it into service. Was there EVER an aircraft with those intakes that did?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Rather oddly my "Steel Industry" background means I'm as interested in the piece about the new bit of slitting kit  :angel:

Interesting type, well spotted H  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quite elegant with the swept T-tail.  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Found a three-view and put it in the OP. The tail looks a bit like the P.120, doesn't it?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I can see your edit in the post, but can't see a 3-view so far.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2021, 06:54:18 AM

I can on my phone but not on my lappy - odd.

I guess the Jet Provost may have come to nothing had the BP119 become real hardware.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Same here, no sign of the 3-View at all --- just your note saying you found it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Doug K

Really nice, given the 3-view shows wing fold and hook, a silver & day-glo FAA version much be fun. Gonna do some more digging 😉

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2021, 05:37:36 AM
What a neat looking machine, well spotted H.  :thumbsup:

Yet another type with NACA flush intakes that didn't make it into service. Was there EVER an aircraft with those intakes that did?

Nearest was the North American YF-93, a picture of which appeared in my article for the What-if mag, many years ago about the NACA ducts.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

For those who can't see the 3-View Harold posted.

Weaver

Not sure if this is the problem, but the 3-view is to the right of the magazine article, not below it.

Sorry if that was confusing: they're both tall & narrow pics so I thought they could go alongside each other.

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2021, 05:37:36 AM

Nope, another one of those ideas that worked well at small scale but that didn't scale for use as
the primary intake for a turbojet. Works well for ancillary system intakes and in the automobile
realm, but there's still a limit on size in regards to required flow.

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on August 15, 2021, 10:16:07 AM

Not sure if this is the problem, but the 3-view is to the right of the magazine article, not below it.

Sorry if that was confusing: they're both tall & narrow pics so I thought they could go alongside each other.

If I click on the article image it goes to a photo viewer, when I click the 'next' arrow to see the next image, it says that the next image could not be loaded

The Wooksta!

Ta for posting the three view, I've been wanting to have a go at scratch bodging one of these for some time.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic