Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse - VW of the Zombie Apocalypse (VW Pic's pg.6)

Started by Old Wombat, August 15, 2021, 10:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 02, 2021, 02:30:39 AM
I thought about the cables & laziness won out. ;)

;D :thumbsup: It's debatable how many people would notice if looking at hte actual model, since these pics are considerably enlarged. Something I noticed when I built my one-and-only motorbike model so far was that EVERY scale/tooling compromise made by the manufacturer (most of which were objectively reasonable) leapt out and hit me between the eyes because I'm so initmately familiar with the real things. For instance, I spent ages making a 'proper' clutch operating arm to replace the moulded-on rib that most people wouldn't even register. If there hadn't been a hard deadline for that build, I'd probably still be working on it now... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I'm working on a 1/12 Kawasaki and all cables (brake, clutch, throttle, speedo, revcounter), wiring (headligh, spark plug), and hoses (fuel, two stroke oil) are the same size.  I could probly remedy this but like Womby, i'm lazy.

I plan, when there is no more petrol, to run my bike on alcohol.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on September 02, 2021, 04:18:02 AM
I'm working on a 1/12 Kawasaki and all cables (brake, clutch, throttle, speedo, revcounter), wiring (headligh, spark plug), and hoses (fuel, two stroke oil) are the same size.  I could probly remedy this but like Womby, i'm lazy.

I plan, when there is no more petrol, to run my bike on alcohol.

IIRC, the Aoshima kit I built came with lengths of fine black tubing that was supposed to do everything. I kept it for some of the pipes but replaced it with florist's wire for the cables and some stuff that's like a very fine closed spring for the brake pipes, the latter being an aftermarket thing (Little Cars?).

Alcohol sounds like a good plan: you can always trade any excess for parts... :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

It's also the first bike i've built for at least 30 years so i'm keeping it simple and OOB as a way to get my hand back in.
I have a few in the stash so may get a bit more fussy as I get to them.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Build #2 has commenced.

In the process of making it RH drive, like all good vehicles should be. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

Old Wombat

Volkswagen of the Zombie Apocalypse:

OK, I'm going to be trying a few weathering & rusting techniques on this build (Hopefully I won't get too carried away! :-\), including the method posted by Frank3k, over on BtS, (because it looks interesting & the results look awesome).
[https://arakichi-blog-fc2-com.translate.goog/blog-category-28.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=ajax,elem&_x_tr_sch=http]

The first is a combination of blending/feathering & salt technique but first I need a primer & sub-coat of ... rust.

Sure, not much but it's a start! ;)

Old Wombat

Stage 2: Tamiya white primer 2nd base (slightly out of focus :-\)

NARSES2

Whose rust are you using, or is it a mix ? Looks very effective.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 06, 2021, 06:30:10 AM
Whose rust are you using, or is it a mix ? Looks very effective.

G'day, Chris! :lol:

It's the AK Interactive "Rust" system;

I applied a painted on a thin layer of Old Rust (AK709) which I let dry; then, using a somewhat ratty stiff brush, I dabbed on Medium Rust (AK707), Dark Rust (AK708) &, lastly, Shadow Rust (AK710), in that order.

I didn't use Light Rust (AK706 - a very light yellow/orange colour)), as I didn't think it would fit the look I am aiming for (old rust coming up through weathered paint).

Overall, I think it's a very good rust system & have used if for ... 10? :unsure: ... -ish? ... years (same bottles I started out with ;)).

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Stage 3: Results of salt & a light film of thinned Tamiya XF-2 Flat White.

The doors read;

DAVE JONES
BUILDER

Only a little bit worn.

NARSES2

Old Wombat

Slow going with RWS still getting in the way, & looks like doing so for another week or so. :-\

Still, there is stuff happening, even if the fit of this kit leaves a bit to be desired & I've been having to trim & fettle bits into where they should just fit. :rolleyes:

May manage to get some photo's up of progress in about a week but there's nothing happening for the next few days as, you guessed it, RWS gets in the way! :banghead:

Wardukw

Damn Guy i just found this post and im enjoying it greatly..you know what im like with the zombie stuff  ;D
The bike turned out pretty damn good mate and yeah its got the normal issues..spokes..cables etc but still looks sweet.
Oh if ya want to do easy has hell cables i use solder..   i have rolls of 0.3 and 0.5 and up from there..its cheap and goes a very long way..you can get it in a huge range of sizes..its perfect for bikes and its uses are bloody near unlimited  ;D
The rust looks surpurb mate..ive got the same set and now im gonna try it and im going to use your method..cheers matey 😁
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .