Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse - VW of the Zombie Apocalypse (VW Pic's pg.6)

Started by Old Wombat, August 15, 2021, 10:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 23, 2021, 09:41:11 AM
;D

Camper? :unsure:

I said on another thread that I know now't about cars, perhaps I should expand that to include all types of on and off road vehicles. ;)

Had a couple of driving lessons when I was 17(?), but after scaring the living daylights out of the instructor was advised that given my eyesight it would be better for everyone if I didn't drive. Oddly they couldn't actually ban me because at the time I could pass the MOT eyesight test, it was the severe stigmatism that caused the problems. Since then it's just got worse, but luckily living in London we have a public transport system that means I don't need to drive. It would be useful occasionally but as I've never driven I don't miss it. Nowadays I just tell people I'm doing my bit to save the planet  :angel:

I have bought a car though, a nice soft top Spitfire as a Christmas present for my then Mrs way back in 1974. She loved it and I got driven around in it. Result  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Oh sometimes i wish i didnt drive ..other days i absolutely love it.
Ive been driving since i was 7..grew up on a farm so there ya go..driving trucks when i was 12 ..i was 6ft all at 12 so size wasnt an issue and when you have a father whos a nut about anything with wheels its kinda in the blood .
I think we had something like 20+ machines juat sitting in the yard..a few bulldozers..tractors and 4x4s and VW Beatles..heaps of the bloody things..dad loved those  ;D
I used several of those to build my first offroaders .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Well, consider yourself educated! ;D

My mother had never driven a car when she got her licence (sometime in the late 1940's). Sat the test at the local Police Station, got handed her papers. She then got on a train to Melbourne, where a friend had left a car at the train station for her use (a pre-war Nash, I believe). Driving through the city in a crunch-box manual geared car when she'd not driven before she ended up jerking away from a set of lights & a bloke on a motorbike pulled up beside her (it was Summer & she had the window open) & shouted in a broad, drawling Australian East Coast accent "It ain't a car, it's a bloody kangaroo!" then tore off up the road. (This is my memory of my mother's telling of the story.)

The name wouldn't have had anything to do with why you bought it, would it. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

I love driving! :wub:

There are just days when I wish my car was a tank! :tank: :wacko:

zenrat

Looks about right to me Womby. Or it will when it's got a coat of dust.

I've only ever owned four cars.  I've owned a heap of bikes though.  The one I miss most is my first Jawa - a 632 Oilmaster.  350cc two stroke parallel twin.  Not fast but more fun than a barrel of monkeys and full of nice engineering touches like the combined gear/clutch/kickstart lever.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Rheged

My mother had a full licence, and drove regularly despite never having passed a test.  She'd held a provisional licence for over a year in 1956, round about the time of the Suez  fiasco.  People like her were invited to apply for a full licence without sitting a test in order to save fuel.   She did take the Advanced Motorists  test in the 1970's and was complimented by the examiner on her skill.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Wardukw

My mum has never held a drivers licence..fact shes never driven a car..my dad tho i think got his licence when he was like 5..he had 3 of em ..a UK one an Aussie one and a Kiwi one.
I do have to agree with ya Guy..i absolutely loved driving yesterday...with all this lockdown crap i havent had the chance to go anywhere and ive been waiting months to pick up my Dremel from Bunnings after it was repaired..got the chance yesterday and went for it..a little over 400ks got clocked up and i brought a new chuck for it and Burger King for lunch and scored 4 models for $25...epic day
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I went driving today as well, only to Gloucester and back, a round 40 miles trip. But I did it with the roof of my Twin Top down, and the temp. is around 3 deg C!

I may get the frostbite on the back of my upper arms sorted soon, but I may be paralysed instead! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Lesson learned there for sure!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Heat is the problem here at the mo Kit..not to much of a problem really..my car has a roof with a sunroof which i never open..dont like the sun on my head qhwn im driving.
Ive got light sensitive eyes and having the sun flashing all over the place can mess me up..its like my old Nissan 300ZX ..had t tops..only time they get removed is when i built a custom sound system for it..16 speckers in a 2x2 sports car ..so sweet  :lol:
Thats long gone ..im more matureish now..got a Mitsubishi Diamante XI 3-5 ltr ..its fast..comfortable...quite ..full leather interior and handles quite nicely all for 1800 notes..i do enjoy driving that ..the cruise control is brilliant  ;D and its assembled in Australia..excellent !
Kit mate i hope you dont have frost bite..thats nasty stuff man ..your not the frist to drive a soft top in winter with the top down and ya wont be the last..hell my brother in law still does..hes got a car I'd love to own ..a dark blue Triumph Stag..beautiful car

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on November 24, 2021, 05:07:58 PM
...my brother in law still does..hes got a car I'd love to own ..a dark blue Triumph Stag..beautiful car

Has it still got a Triumph engine?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 24, 2021, 12:59:16 AM

The name wouldn't have had anything to do with why you bought it, would it. ;)

At the time no. It was just the nicest of that era's small soft tops in my opinion. Also had wire wheels which were so quick to change it was unbelievable. It never gave us any trouble in the 5 years we shared it, lovely car.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Fred mate theres only two things about the Stag which aren't original..the colour and the sound system..i built the sounds for it  ;D
The engine is the Rover V8 which it came with..i rebuilt that too with all specs 100% original..its got nothing in the HP department really..my Diamante has more but its got a beautiful sound.
Theres a couple of old English sports cars are in Thames..both MGs..one is a orange .wire wheeled soft top and the other is a yellow MGBT V8 hard top..flared wheel archers..wide wheels and a modded motor..the sound this thing makes is lovely..beasty little car this thing.

PR19_Kit

Stags didn't come with Rover V8s originally, they were outshopped with a Triumph OHC V8 that gained a reputation for lunching its cylinder heads and gaskets, so many of them were re-fitted with the simpler and more reliable Rover engine.

Actually the cause of the problems were owners and garages not following the proper maintenance procedures, but by the time that became known it was too late for many of the Triumph engines. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Very ture Kit but the likely hood of finding a V8 Stag with the Triumph Stag V8 is like trying to find 6 cyl powered Stag ..and hell even the original Triumph V8 was a American and was found on a rubbish pile but if i remember right that was just rumour.
The biggest problem with the Triumph V8 was it going thru crankshafts cause of oiling issues..ive done a few replacements in cars with knackered engines because of that problem..later engines fixed that problem of course .
I was told by a friend of my dads who used to work for Rover that they did fit a 4.0 ltr Rover V8 into a stag but that never left the factory..something about rebirthing the Stag .