Vehicles of the Zombie Apocalypse - VW of the Zombie Apocalypse (VW Pic's pg.6)

Started by Old Wombat, August 15, 2021, 10:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

I wish, Chris! ;D

Progressing with some fiddly bits to get it finished & move on to the next Post Apocalyptic project.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 26, 2021, 05:29:36 AM
Thanks, Fred! :thumbsup:

Started with whittling down the stock, to shorten it & remove the upper furniture, finicky but not too difficult to do; then I used Tamiya white putty to bulk up the stock (slap it on, let it dry, sand/file it down) for a higher cheek-weld form, as per most sporting rifles; finally adding a Live Resin modern scope with some tiny slivers of styrene as the mount uprights (which I've trimmed off at least 3 times) & which ended up mostly consisting of CA glue.

So far mine is mostly OOB Tamiya.  However you have inspired me to fiddle with it.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Yeah, unless you muck about with it a Kar98 looks like a Kar98.

The removal of the top furniture & the front of the stock, to get rid of the barrel bands, makes a big difference, even without the rest.

Old Wombat

Old Wombat

The bike is done! :D

Final matt coat is drying as I type.

Should get pic's done tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

OK, so here are the pic's;

And where is the axe you mentioned? I hear you ask;

Weaver

I like that. :thumbsup:

It doesn't look over-'styled' like many post-apocalypse things. If you were just trying to survive in the immediate aftermath, the last thing you'd be wasting time on is painting everything matt black and hanging skulls all over it. Also, good call on dumping most of the military load-carrying frames and crash bars. As useful as they'd be, and as 'Mad Max' as they'd look, not one in a thousand civvie trail bikes has any of that stuff, even though they'd probably be better off if they did.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

zenrat

Caefull with that axe, Eugene.

Nice work.  I echo what H said.

:thumbsup:

Apart from the axe and the rifle (and maybe the jerry can) it's a realistic load you might see strapped to a bike off for a weekend away.
The weight on a bike is better off low down so maybe fuel or water cans would be better off behind the footpegs?  Could be tools down there though, or ammo.  Both those are heavy.
I know the limitations of injection moulding, but its a shame about the spokes.
Oh, and shouldn't there be a slab strapped on there as well?
:mellow:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Thanks, Fred! :thumbsup:

The axe isn't a permanent fixture but, I figure, it gives him a weapon he can use to keep the zombies beyond grabbing distance, if he can wield it well enough.

Hanging the Jerry can down one side is fine but there's nothing to support the weight from below, at least the bags hang from above & can rest on the frames & bodywork. The ammo box is bolted to the frame.

zenrat

Yeah, you'd need some sort of jerry can rack.  And then of course when it's empty it's better off putting the can higher up which means strapping other, heavier stuff to the rack.
Fred

NARSES2

Very nice work sir  :thumbsup:

The one problem I've always had with a Zombie Apocalypse scenario of any kind is what do these people do when the petrol runs out ? If the world is in that sort of state I can't imagine it lasting long, but then my brain isn't particularly flexible when it comes to thinking about this type of scenario.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Thanks, Chris! :thumbsup:

Most Zombie Apocalypse movies/series' I've seen seem to have a very small survivor population (<1% maybe as low as 0.01%?) but, yes, long term fuel supplies would be an issue, even if you ran diesels, & mixed in vegetable oils scavenged from supermarkets & warehouses.

Still, fuel would be available for a while &, while it was, people would use it.

After that it's Shanks' mare/pony, livestock (horses, cattle, camels, dogs, etc.) or bicycles/similar.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on September 01, 2021, 03:47:17 AM
Caefull with that axe, Eugene.

Nice work.  I echo what H said.

:thumbsup:

Apart from the axe and the rifle (and maybe the jerry can) it's a realistic load you might see strapped to a bike off for a weekend away.
The weight on a bike is better off low down so maybe fuel or water cans would be better off behind the footpegs?  Could be tools down there though, or ammo.  Both those are heavy.
I know the limitations of injection moulding, but its a shame about the spokes.
Oh, and shouldn't there be a slab strapped on there as well?
:mellow:

Another issue if you put a a single large jerry can on a the side of a small bike like that would be asymetric weight distribution. A full jerry can is HEAVY, and it'd be a significant fraction of the total vehicle weight on a light bike like a 250 traillie. I think I'd probably do what this guy's done, except maybe I'd try to find a way of laying the can flat and putting other stuff on top of it, since a) that lowers the weight a bit, and b) it's rigid, so it effectively extends the rack.

I once went to buy a couple of BMW R-series cylinder heads from an Autotrader advert, slung both them in the single side pannier nf my BMW R80ST (single because of the high-level exhaust on the other side) without thinking about weight distribution, and set off home. I accelerated up a sharply curving motorway on-ramp, and found myself joining the heavy motorway traffic going sideways....  :o

There's an aftermarket PE set for this kit (by Voyager IIRC) that has finer spokes in it. The thing I noticed was the lack of control cables and brake pipes coming out of the hand grip units. You could probably sort that out fairly easily with a bit of florist's wire or something similar. In this scale, the thickness ond textural differences between cables and pipes are probably too small to see: you just need something representative to be there.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat