POLL - Select a name for my hybrid future battleship.

Started by seadude, August 16, 2021, 03:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the name be?

USS United States
2 (8.7%)
USS Liberty
4 (17.4%)
USS Reprisal
4 (17.4%)
USS Hawaii
11 (47.8%)
USS Iwo Jima
2 (8.7%)
USS Wisconsin (Have enough decal numbers for that.)
8 (34.8%)
USS America
2 (8.7%)
Other option. Please list and describe in a post.
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: September 01, 2021, 03:50:48 PM

Steel Penguin

put my 2 "normal" votes and for the 3rd ohhh boy, ive got a bucketful

go for a Ian M Banks Culture style one, possibly I said ive got a big stick  considering the comment originally ( I believe) came from a US president it fits

USS subtlety
does the US have any phantom villages, the Brigadoon?
any famous cryptographers?
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kerick

How about USS Igkya.
(I'm gonna kick your a$$)!!

Don't publish an explanation of the name, just let the enemy figure it out later!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Joe C-P

The USN has some traditions, though these days those are less followed than honored.
You might name it "District of Columbia" or "Puerto Rico" if you want to tweak some noses.   ;D
Hawaii would be a good name, after the state and a previous, albeit uncompleted ship.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

sandiego89

I really think sticking with a State name is the only way to go for a US Battleship.

I nominate Utah

Avoids conflicts with other names used in later ships, and pays tribute to the largely forgotten ex-Utah battleship sunk at Pearl Harbor. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Wasn't Kentucky and Illinois the next names in line? Let me check
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

tigercat

If its a Hybrid maybe a Carrier name

USS Enterprise , USS Hornet , USS Wasp

zenrat

Quote from: Steel Penguin on August 17, 2021, 12:06:58 PM
put my 2 "normal" votes and for the 3rd ohhh boy, ive got a bucketful

go for an Iain M Banks Culture style one, possibly I said ive got a big stick  considering the comment originally ( I believe) came from a US president it fits

USS subtlety
does the US have any phantom villages, the Brigadoon?
any famous cryptographers?

My favourite Culture ship name has always been Meatf***er.

How USS Constitution?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on August 17, 2021, 08:49:46 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 17, 2021, 06:10:41 AM
Quote from: seadude on August 17, 2021, 06:05:02 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 17, 2021, 03:06:15 AM
Hmmm?

United States/America are, perhaps, fraught with the same danger as "Deutschland".

What do you mean?

I think what Womby means is that the danger in naming a ship after your nation is that it marks it out as a prime target in the event of any War and nowadays it doesn't even need a declared War to make it a target with the prevalence of terrorist groups. If it then suffers damage or even loss in combat the effect on morale can be quite enormous.

No different than naming it USS America. We had a carrier named the America once. I didn't see it come under attack at all.

Yup, but the World's moved on a bit since then and not to a very nice place  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on August 17, 2021, 08:53:16 AM
A 76 hull number would be nice. Something that invokes the "Spirit of '76" (1776), know what I mean?
Just need to think of some sort of patriotic name. Hmmm?  :rolleyes:

;D ;D I like that thought process  :thumbsup: So how about Yorktown or another US War of Independence victory ? Wouldn't bother the Royal Navy much as they'd simply say "nothing to do with us"  :angel:

As for Dreadnaught, if used would it be spelt like that ? Not sure how it would be spelt in the US, have to ask a couple of my US friends who are ex primary teachers  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

FYI, "USS WINSCONSIN" has been picked as a name for one of the new missile submarines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wisconsin_(SSBN-827)

Dunno if that makes any difference to you.  A bunch of us Navy vets are furious that TPTB have named a Virginia-class boat the USS Arizona.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Nick

Any great US Navy battleship captains that deserve remembering?

John Paul Jones and the Bonhomme Richard spring to mind but I don't see this ship acting in the same independent manner.

scooter

Quote from: Nick on August 21, 2021, 12:16:29 PM

John Paul Jones and the Bonhomme Richard spring to mind but I don't see this ship acting in the same independent manner.

Admiral Willis "Ching" Lee
The last US battleship commander to sink an enemy battleship in a one on one duel at the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal - through the skilled use of radar and naval gunnery.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on August 21, 2021, 01:56:57 PM
Quote from: Nick on August 21, 2021, 12:16:29 PM

Admiral Willis "Ching" Lee
The last US battleship commander to sink an enemy battleship in a one on one duel at the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal - through the skilled use of radar and naval gunnery.

Interesting Scoot, I just "looked" that up. Thanks  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

I'm amazed they haven't edited Admiral Lee's nickname out of existence, yet, to make it Historically PC. :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Joe C-P

Quote from: zenrat on August 18, 2021, 03:56:56 AM

How USS Constitution?

She's still in commission, special, so that name isn't available.
Of the other first frigates, Constellation is available, as are United States, President, and Chesapeake, though the latter two lost their battles.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.