McLaren P1 GTR

Started by Madhatter, August 16, 2021, 11:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madhatter

Hey guys
I've been a tad quiet here of late as I haven't touched the SD in a couple of months and I've been on a bit of a car kick lately
This one is how I would have my P1 painted if I actually had a spare 9 million to spend on a real car. This is the brand new Alpha Model kit which is entirely in resin and PE. I am relatively happy with how it came out. The red turned out exactly as planned, - just the rest of it didn't.

If you decide to get this kit there a few things you should know.

1) The PE vent covers in the doors and hood do not fit at all and are the wrong shape. At least, that was my experience and I sat there for AGES trying to work out how to get them in correctly. In the end I gave up and used some other material that I cut to fit

2) The rear tail lights do not actually conform to the body properly and I accidentally broke mine trying to get them to sit right. I tried for ages to get them in but no. I thought maybe it was at what stage in the build I tried to install them but no, even after I got the rear disassembled and tried again it still didn't work

3) The clear resin head light attachment point is terrible and I chipped the top corner trying to get it off (even being careful), so extra care needed there

4) The rear diffuser is incredibly fragile. Don't ask me how I know.....

I had a lit display case turn up at my door that was rather boring in all out silver, so I painted the base black and kept the light poles silver. I also painted the graphic on the base as a slight homage to the tech that went into the real car.

Overall, it's a nice kit that fits really nicely in most places. I wouldn't rush out and buy another one but Alpha Model are the only ones producing the subjects I really like. If Tamiya match the Senna with a regular P1 - then I am so in. I don't like the styling of Senna much so am not going to get it

A couple of interior shots. I forgot to take more of the completed interior sorry

Well, that's it for now, but I am not on a WW2 Battleship kick thanks to World of Warships. I'm almost done on my Bismark and am tossing and turning about whether to do the Yamato next or the H-39 (Grosser Kurfurst)

Anyways, that's it but as always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

Dizzyfugu

Hobbes

Despite the problems building it, that turned out very well  :thumbsup:

Pellson

Not my kind of subject at all - but a really beautiful build!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

Cars! Something of a modelling mystery, to me. :blink:

Love what you've done with this one, though. :thumbsup:

Sad to see the makers fell victim to "market" pressure, rather than "origin" pressure & made it left-hand drive. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 17, 2021, 03:18:06 AM

Sad to see the makers fell victim to "market" pressure, rather than "origin" pressure & made it left-hand drive. :-\

Too right, and it's a real bitch converting most models to the other drive side!

I can't think of any of the car builds I've done where the manufacturer gave you the option to chose!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

Thanks guys  :thumbsup:
My Fujimi CRX comes in rh and lh options which was cool. Naturally I built it rhd  ;D

zenrat

Due to Japan driving on the correct side of the road it is not uncommon for Japanese car kits to have optional parts for putting the steering wheel on both the Right and the wrong sides.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I don't understand the first thing about cars, model or real, but that's a stunning looking build  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

The colour scheme looks like Lewis Hamilton's old Challenger jet --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Madhatter

thanks guys  :thumbsup:
I had to look up Lewis' jet but yeah, I can now see why you though that. I never knew he had one but then I don't pay much attention to such things. If I had a jet like that I'd want it i those colours too - that's pretty darned nice
In fact, it's given me some inspiration for a commercial airliner now.....  :rolleyes: