The Realities of trading at model shows - a trader's perspective

Started by Weaver, August 17, 2021, 05:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freightdog862

Its an interesting topic. For the record I love the under table sales, always looking for a bargain to add to the stash. If my maths is correct this September marks 18 years since I first had a trade stand, and to be honest I think I am due some time off for good behavior! I love model shows, but the lack of them has made me realize that in future I would much prefer to attend as an IPMS member than a trader, and enjoy the show.   

I wouldn't say the fees are too high for trade space at most shows, but over the last few years at least I have not made much of a profit at any shows I have attended, for me its a social event. When I look back to my first trading Telford in 2003, I paid about £150 for a six foot table. By the end of Sunday I had taken close to £800, which I thought was bloody amazing, considering at the time all I was selling was the Whiskey Jack ALPS decal range, and surplus kits from my personal stash. In hindsight. having just forked out £2K on my initial WJD stock a couple of months before (some of which I still have), paid for fuel, hotel and food (just for me, I didn't have Jon helping me then), I probably made £100 profit over the weekend, perhaps I should have seen the writing on the wall? Some traders do incredibly well at shows, but not me.

Colin

Martin H

Quote from: Freightdog862 on August 31, 2021, 10:59:44 AM
I love model shows, but the lack of them has made me realize that in future I would much prefer to attend as an IPMS member than a trader, and enjoy the show.   

I think Adrian from Lonewulf came to the same conclusion. He normaly attends SMW with his local club these days.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

I've always taken the stance that sealed-box sales like Telford are basically a tombola where you don't spend anything you'll be upset to lose. Also, you can take things back at Telford if they're unsatisfactory, so the best thing to do it take your purchase to a table in the food area (or your club stand if you'ver got one) and check it immediately over a coffee.

It can work the other way too: a couple of years ago, I bought a Fujimi Kaman Seasprite at Telford, with all parts off the sprue according to the label. When I checked it through after buying it, it turned out to have TWO complete kits in the box, the other one being the rare 'big radar' version.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: Weaver on August 31, 2021, 11:56:22 PM
I've always taken the stance that sealed-box sales like Telford are basically a tombola where you don't spend anything you'll be upset to lose. Also, you can take things back at Telford if they're unsatisfactory, so the best thing to do it take your purchase to a table in the food area (or your club stand if you'ver got one) and check it immediately over a coffee.

It can work the other way too: a couple of years ago, I bought a Fujimi Kaman Seasprite at Telford, with all parts off the sprue according to the label. When I checked it through after buying it, it turned out to have TWO complete kits in the box, the other one being the rare 'big radar' version.

Did you go back & pay them more for the extra kit? :angel:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 01, 2021, 02:54:19 AM

Yeah, it would have been the honest thing to do.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Martin H

Quote from: zenrat on September 01, 2021, 04:04:29 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 01, 2021, 02:54:19 AM

Yeah, it would have been the honest thing to do.

It comes under the terms of an old unwriten english tradition.

Finders - Keepers.  :wacko: :wacko: :mellow:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

zenrat

Don't know about English law but Theft by Finding can get you charged here.
;)
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on September 02, 2021, 04:42:59 AM

But this is not a case of "finding" the box abandoned on a table or somewhere.
The seller gave the BOX for sale at the kitswap. He/she should have known/checked what was inside. The sale and price were for the box. The buyer bought the box. Point.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Weaver

Quote from: loupgarou on September 02, 2021, 05:05:13 AM

But this is not a case of "finding" the box abandoned on a table or somewhere.
The seller gave the BOX for sale at the kitswap. He/she should have known/checked what was inside. The sale and price were for the box. The buyer bought the box. Point.

Precisely. The terms of the kitswap are that all sellers have inspected the contents of the boxes and then sealed them. If they've inspected them badly, it's their lookout. Besides, for all I know, he might have thought £6 a fair price for two Seasprites... ;)

EDIT: since this has proved so controversial, I've just gone and dug the box out, and it turns out my memory is faulty. The sticker on the box DOES say that there are two kits in the box, but that line of text is wrapped around the edge, which is why nobody noticed it before me. £6 is indeed a bargain for two Seasprites.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

It's amazing what a rhetorical, tongue-(firmly)-in-cheek comment can elicit, sometimes. :rolleyes: ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

There is something similar in English Law, but as Loupgarou and Weaver say this was a case of the seller basically either not checking the contents of the box properly or not advertising what was in it correctly. There is an argument that says "maybe you should take the purchase back to give the seller a chance to go...Oh thanks I didn't mean to include that" , but as this was at Telford Weaver couldn't have done it as the seller wasn't present at the time of purchase. Indeed buyers and sellers don't meet at Telford.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 02, 2021, 06:10:48 AM
It's amazing what a rhetorical, tongue-(firmly)-in-cheek comment can elicit, sometimes. :rolleyes: ;D

Got me into trouble to many times to mention  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Poe's Law: irony frequently doesn't carry across the internet.

ANYWAY:

Since this has proved so controversial, I've just gone and dug the box out, and it turns out my memory is faulty. The sticker on the box DOES say that there are two kits in the box, but that line of text is wrapped around the edge, which is why nobody noticed it before me. £6 is indeed a bargain for two Seasprites, which supports my original point that at kitswap, you win some and you lose some. Better to regard it as a gamble on the tombola than a purchase.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

zenrat

S'OK Womby, i've gone back and fixed it.

:thumbsup:
Fred