Main Menu

Avro 721 Shackleton MR.5

Started by Pellson, August 19, 2021, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

That's looking REALLY good Pellson!  :thumbsup:

How about putting the exhausts OVER the wings, just as they were on the Britannia?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Really looking a slick conversion

Pellson

On request:

The MAD boom was build from sprue, mainly from the ex-Frog 1/96 Britannia, and obviously filled up with putty as needed. The stinger at the very end is a particularly thick piece of sprue. I compared to the one supplied in the Hasegawa P-3 Orion kit, and it looks reasonable.

The stabilisers come from that same Britannia but the fin is from a Matchbox PB4Y Privateer, however slightly modified. I tried the Britannia fin first, but it felt too wide and too low.
As mentioned, I have a new Privateer kit that I'm thinking of "modernising" somewhat be able to fly it as a Neptune competitor. Lose guns, add MAD-boom, some antennae and an observers nose, maybe?

Now - some work and then I just might crack on with the engines. 
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

The single tail look really good.  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Coming along very nicely, Pellson! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

I find impressive the way you managed to cut and move the fuselage slices so properly. And it really changes the aircraft look (together with the new tail, of course).
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Pellson

Quote from: loupgarou on August 26, 2021, 11:46:43 AM
I find impressive the way you managed to cut and move the fuselage slices so properly.

Thank you. While I am pretty pleased with the original idea, I would have to admit that the quite nice result so far has depended rather heavily on luck, as far as execution goes.. :rolleyes:

McColm

Quote from: Pellson on August 25, 2021, 12:43:16 PM
Some progress, at last. Wings, stabilisers and fin is all on as is the MAD boom. While I long was hesitant about the execution of the latter, at a time even considering starting all over again, seeing it together with all the flying surfaces, it actually works rather nicely, so it'll stay as is.

Another thing working nicely is the new wing location. Together with the new tail surfaces, it brings a much more modern appearance to the design. I think it feels very balanced, it'll be fun to see how the engines will work from a design perspective.

Another thing I have been spending quite some time investigating is the position of the radar when in use. I can't really get a consistent picture, so I'll put it out here for advice.
While there is a possibility to place the radar fully extend as per below, I only find pics of this in combination with open bomb bay doors, i.e in flight display mode.

However, it seems there's a "halfway" position as well, where you only lower the radome, not the extender, as shown below.

Obviously the second position offer lower drag than the first, but why would you then have the possibility to lower it fully at all?

So - does anyone know which position was the normal when using the radar?

Next step should be the engines. I need to work out where I locate the jet exhausts, though. You don't want to  block the thrust with the flaps, and I also don't want to overengineer things. And then all these propeller blade tips. To extend or not to extend. That is the question..
From what I can gather the early Shackleton MR.2s operated the extended radar with the bomb doors open in a similar fashion to the Breguet Br1150 Atlantic. Later MR.2s had fixed the problem of drag and didn't need to be extended fully.

Pellson

Quote from: McColm on August 26, 2021, 02:19:52 PM
From what I can gather the early Shackleton MR.2s operated the extended radar with the bomb doors open in a similar fashion to the Breguet Br1150 Atlantic. Later MR.2s had fixed the problem of drag and didn't need to be extended fully.

So basically, the correct in operation position would be the half way down position, if I read you correctly, Steve?

McColm

Quote from: Pellson on August 27, 2021, 12:32:50 AM

So basically, the correct in operation position would be the half way down position, if I read you correctly, Steve?
That's correct.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on August 26, 2021, 02:09:23 PM
I would have to admit that the quite nice result so far has depended rather heavily on luck, as far as execution goes.. :rolleyes:

A very useful ally and one not to be sneered at, because if he/she turns against you  :banghead:

Looking really good, the new tail certainly changes her look.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: McColm on August 27, 2021, 01:22:56 AM
Quote from: Pellson on August 27, 2021, 12:32:50 AM

That's correct.

Thanks a lot, mate. 👍🏻

63cpe

Nice built Pellson! Love the single tail! Looks much netter, IMHO on the shak.

Following this built, need some inspiration for the Brittania i've got in stash.

Cheers,
David aka 63CPE