Main Menu

Avro 721 Shackleton MR.5

Started by Pellson, August 19, 2021, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

That port side rear quarter shot of the engine nacelles looks great! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Looks great  :thumbsup:

One point though, the exhaust for the inner engines if kept where it is has to go through and/around the undercarriage.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on September 05, 2021, 08:57:08 AM

One point though, the exhaust for the inner engines if kept where it is has to go through and/around the undercarriage.

Gondor

Almost. I found a drawing showing the outlines of the main gear within the nacelle, and there is just space enough to go through the engine bulkhead, then up over the paired main gear wheels, rearwards descending over the main gear attachment points of the gear then bending further downwards before angling backwards and exiting. It sounds a lot more bendy than it really is, as the gear attachment points are relatively low in the nacelle.

Does anyone have any idea of the contents of the missile communication pod, seen on the second pylon from the right on this pic? I would really like to understand how the antenna inside looks.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

Quote from: Pellson on September 05, 2021, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 05, 2021, 08:57:08 AM

Gondor

Almost. I found a drawing showing the outlines of the main gear within the nacelle, and there is just space enough to go through the engine bulkhead, then up over the paired main gear wheels, rearwards descending over the main gear attachment points of the gear then bending further downwards before angling backwards and exiting. It sounds a lot more bendy than it really is, as the gear attachment points are relatively low in the nacelle.

Does anyone have any idea of the contents of the missile communication pod, seen on the second pylon from the right on this pic? I would really like to understand how the antenna inside looks.

That's the Swedish  BOZ electronic counter measures pod to jam hostile radars.
The BAe Nimrod MR.2P, Jaguar and the Tonka carried them as well.
The Buccaneers used to carry the American ALQ-101 ECM pod in the same place.

Pellson

Quote from: McColm on September 05, 2021, 11:34:38 AM
That's the Swedish  BOZ electronic counter measures pod to jam hostile radars.
The BAe Nimrod MR.2P, Jaguar and the Tonka carried them as well.
The Buccaneers used to carry the American ALQ-101 ECM pod in the same place.

No, it isn't. It's a data link pod to the Martels. From the side, it looks like this. A reversed drop form.

Gondor

I just did a whole post saying exactly the same with a different picture and it's not there.  :banghead:

Must be because Pellson posted at the same time  :-\

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on September 05, 2021, 01:58:58 PM
I just did a whole post saying exactly the same with a different picture and it's not there.  :banghead:

Must be because Pellson posted at the same time  :-\

Gondor

Sorry..  ;D

McColm

It's the ALQ-119 ECM data link pod (they all look the same from that angle).

Pellson

Quote from: McColm on September 06, 2021, 12:40:38 AM

No, it isn't, mate. It's the drop shaped data link pod associated with the AJ.168 Martel TV missile.

Some arduous googling taught me that the reason it's hanged with the thick end backwards (which seems bonkers from an aerodynamic perspective) is that it originally was designed to be hanged the other way, but then someone realised that you actually wouldn't control the missile chasing it, but rather running away from the target you just shot at, so by turning it 180 degrees, the antenna faces backwards. But they didn't redesign the pod, so it looks goofy..

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on September 06, 2021, 12:40:38 AM

Have a look at the box art for the old Airfix Buccaneer in Gulf War colours and you will see that the ALQ-119 is on an outer pylon and a different side from the Data Link pod sown in the picture, the front is also rather blunt and black where the data link pod is sharp and pointy.

Gondor

Pellson

Today, the Shackleton got a DSG all over paint, and now I really need to decide on decals and loadout. Re the former, I think I'll go for an all dark Cold War gone hot scheme with all toned down markings, actually. I think I have black serials that might work for that.

Re the latter, I'm still undecided on whether to use the older and chunkier Martels or the newer and nimbler Sea Skuas. The latter will probably look less dominant and also not need any control antennae, but on the other hand - would a turboprop Shack have kept up all the way into the eighties? Maybe?

Anyway - the grey overall really emphasises the full shape as is evens out the different colours of the differently sourced parts. I like it, even if no details are painted yet. I'll see if I get the opportunity to detail a bit more tomorrow. In particular, getting the black anti glare panel and prop blades done will calm things down a bit.

Gondor

A couple of suggestions for placement of the Martel datalink aerial.

The rear of the inboard engine nacelles where they protrude behind the wing or the wingtip tanks which should give a much larger cone of coverage. The tip of the vertical tail could be another place to put the pod as well.

Looks great so far  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on September 08, 2021, 09:49:15 AM
A couple of suggestions for placement of the Martel datalink aerial.

The rear of the inboard engine nacelles where they protrude behind the wing or the wingtip tanks which should give a much larger cone of coverage. The tip of the vertical tail could be another place to put the pod as well.

Looks great so far  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Thanks for the suggestions, Alastair. I take it you think the Sea Skua timeline is a bit too optimistic, and I can't say I disagree.

While the Buccaneers would have shot their Martel and then made a run for it, the Shackleton is so slow I don't believe it would have made any difference. Hence I think a position maximising the field of view for the control antenna would be preferable, and in that perspective, the fin tip location is really good. The alternative would be somewhere under the nose, but that would interfere with the radar, so because of that not as good.

Now off to find something pod friendly for the fin, then..  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

That single fin makes a heck of a difference, especially now she's in primer  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]