I'm a glutton for punishment.....Lightning PR.8

Started by kitbasher, August 26, 2021, 08:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 21, 2021, 01:52:02 AM
I can offer plenty of spare Airfix F1/F3 wings by way of hostage swap?

Already got a pair, Lee - and on reflection can rob it of it's u/c for the Cunning Plan Lightning Whif (definitely a 2022 build.).  Nowhere near starting my P8 but looking again at the parts it's help inform how I'd deal with the radome/intake arrangement. 
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

I lied, I have made a start on my P8, but only some gentle sanding of a couple of parts, and loading the radome with ballast.  Have finally decided on the paint job, but it won't be started until next month.

Speaking of paint jobs, the PR.8 will get a 1970/1971-era Canberra PR.7/PR.9-style scheme of Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green over Light Aircraft Grey.  Markings from the FROG base kit plus some stencilling from a Modeldecal Lightning F.2A sheet.  Squadron has been decided upon, markings been found in the spares box.

Underside is almost completely painted.  Need to do some minor tidying before that's finished.  Also need to mask up the wheels prior to painting the tyres.  Mustn't forget to finish painting the ejection seat, then that can be fitted, then the canopy, then the upper colours.  Pics at the next update.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Other than adding the canopy (already masked), windscreen and pitot the PR.8 is on it's feet and more or less built. 

Undersides have been top coated with Xtracolor Light Aircraft Grey, topsides have been prepped with Humbrol Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green.  Since the pic was taken the fuselage has received a partial top coat of Xtracrylic Dark Sea Grey. 

More tomorrow - get the masking finished, add the glazing/pitot and finish top coating the fuselage by means of Xtracrylic Dark Green.  If I can get that done in the morning then in the evening I can work on top coating the wings.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

kitbasher

Phew!  Done and pics/backstory in the Completed Builds thread.  Markings are a mixture of kit decals (roundels, fin flash, serials, code letters and warning triangles - all were in perfect condition, not bad for a 40-odd year old kit), Matchbox Hunter squadron markings, Modeldecal Lightning F.2A stencils, some stock red line decals and homemade nose art.  Hope Zero-Sen is happy with my execution of his design.

Note to self: DO NOT EVER AGAIN take on more than one GB entry at at time!  It's time to focus on getting a few more 'shelf queens' done before starting something new.

PR19_Kit

That's REALLY good Dave, I like it a LOT!  :thumbsup:

Did the rose decal come first or the backstory?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2021, 11:56:36 PM
Come out well Dave  :thumbsup:

Aaw thanks Chris.  I don't care what the others say about you, I think you're a gent  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on October 14, 2021, 01:51:55 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2021, 11:56:36 PM
Come out well Dave  :thumbsup:

Aaw thanks Chris.  I don't care what the others say about you, I think you're a gent  ;)

Yea, I know  ;)