I'm a glutton for punishment.....Lightning PR.8

Started by kitbasher, August 26, 2021, 08:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

One of the reasons I proposed the Recce GB earlier in this year was that I'd come up with a wheeze to create a photo-recce version of the Lightning – essentially doing something to it that would be broadly equivalent to what Lockheed did by way of the F-104 to get to the U-2.  This involved stretching fuselage by about 6 or so scale feet and adding new, high-aspect ratio wings and a new tailplane.  Ideally a cheap second-hand Airfix or Academy U-2 would have been source for the wings/tailplanes, but these are as rare as hen's teeth and appear to be quite pricey.  That was Plan A – Plan B was to make my own wings/tailplanes as per this:

I may still yet do that, have kept the plans (happy with the wings, tailplane not quite sure about yet).

Then I started the Hunter PR.11 (Hunter PR.11 (no not THAT one)), which required new wings, and the thought of producing sets of wings for both builds put me off Plan B.  And so to Plan C – build an EE P.15, using an Airfix F.3 I had in the stash:

And then.....Zero-Sen posted photos at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49529.msg930344#msg930344.  This was a head-slapping 'why has no one ever thought about this before' moment.  So obvious and looked so right from the word go.  Had to build one so swapped PMs with Zero-Sen to ask if it was OK for me to build his idea – and to offer to build it outside the GB so that it didn't clash with his own.  Didn't want to steal his idea, of course.  Which I guess I have done, although I prefer to think I've been allowed to borrow it. 

A second-hand Hasegawa A-6A was duly bought.  Other than some rudimentary cockpit detail, an Aeroclub seat and panel line scribing the Lightning fuselage is essentially an OOB effort; conversely the Intruder wings have had the wing fences and numerous lumps and bumps removed, panel lines scribed and main u/c bays cut out (one wing almost finished).  WIP to date: 

Considering adding a fairing ahead of the belly tank to house cameras, made from half a cluster bomb from the spares box (see above) informed by the one that could actually fitted to a small number Saudi F.53s:

Why the 'PR.8'?  In this scenario the various marks are as follows:

WHIF   REAL-WORLD
F.1                F.1   
F.2                F.2   
F.2A              F.2A   
T.3                T.4   
F.4                F.3   
T.5                T.5   
F.6                F.6   
T.7 - Trainer version of F.6, equivalent of real-world T.55
PR.8 - 'Big wing' high-altitude recce version, non-reheat Avons
T.9 - Trainer version of PR.8

Need to think about an appropriate colour scheme.  The PR.8 would be too late for a PRU Blue/Medium Sea Grey finish, and I can't imagine a high-flying PR Lightning would be left in a natural metal scheme.  That said, the Canberra PR marks were all finished in High Speed Silver at some point in their careers, so that's a possibility.  I think the PR.8 could have started off in Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey uppers and Light Aircraft Grey undersides until the late 70s/early 80s when the Lightning fighters started to go grey.  Don't see them going Hemp à la Canberra PR.9 - resisting greys at the moment mainly because of spare decal options.  Decisions, decisions!

At the end of all of this I'll be left with a complete A-6 fuselage and a set of Lightning wings/tailplanes.  Won't be mashing them together, though.  Have an idea for the A-6; it's a big beastie really, almost as long (and certainly as bulky) as my recently-completed CASA 2.217 (I shouldn't be surprised - some years ago I'd bought a Tamiya 1/100 A-6 with a view to turning it into a scalorama alternative to the Jet Provost – it's pretty much the same size as a 1/72 JP).  So if something 'right' turns up at the SMW KitSwap or the adjacent 'give an old model a home' table it'll be whiffed.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

kitbasher

Flying surfaces attached, a little filler around the joints is needed but not very much.  Nose cone, undercarriage, seat and canopy to be added.  Have decided upon the colour scheme and painting will start very soon.  Confident i can get this done by the end of September deadline.

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

lenny100

when i did mine a few years ago i found the wings and tail from a 1/144 tu 154 fited the egsisting wing root and the undercarage carrot have why down the wing took the origional lighting undercarage leg
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

kerick

That's a great looking combination! Maybe it's the green fuselage but I can't help wondering how that would look on an F-105.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

buzzbomb

Dizzyfugu

That makes me wonder how it the Lightning would look if the pointed shock cone in the air intake wase replaced by a more bulbous, subsonic nose for cameras or an SLAR?

kitbasher

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 14, 2021, 11:05:31 PM
That makes me wonder how it the Lightning would look if the pointed shock cone in the air intake wase replaced by a more bulbous, subsonic nose for cameras or an SLAR?

You won't be finding out with this build, Dizzy!

Gondor

That's another build idea you have given yourself Dizzy  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Quote from: Gondor on September 15, 2021, 03:18:38 AM

That's another build idea you have given yourself Dizzy  ;D

Gondor

He's probably got a few minutes spare to put one together  ;) ;D

The Wooksta!

Unless you have other plans for the remaining Lightning wings and tailplanes, I can find them a good home.  Well, a home anyway.

Looking forward to seeing this, especially as I'm building a "standard" P.15, and that *will* be in standard PRU colours.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 20, 2021, 06:23:20 PM
Unless you have other plans for the remaining Lightning wings and tailplanes, I can find them a good home.  Well, a home anyway.

Looking forward to seeing this, especially as I'm building a "standard" P.15, and that *will* be in standard PRU colours.

I actually do have a cunning plan for the wings, Lee - just need u/c to go with them.  Hope the PR8 doesn't disappoint.

The Wooksta!

I can offer plenty of spare Airfix F1/F3 wings by way of hostage swap?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic