Main Menu

Vickers Wannabe finished

Started by loupgarou, August 26, 2021, 08:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

While the B&V 282 is slowly taking shape, I started the build of the Vickers Wannabe.
Built to the infamous Specification G 13/30 for a general purpose monoplane monoplace for reconnaissance/dive bombing/communications/colonial warfare/light torpedo bombing, it didn't excel in any of those roles, but opened the way for the Wellesley.
It will, of course, have SPATS  :wub:. None of those newfangled silly retractable undercarriages, please.

I like planes with a rear-positioned cockpit. This one reminds me of the Boeing Monomail.
As I am in my northern base at the moment, don't have a spares box, and also the choice of tools etc is quite limited, so detail progress and paint will have to wait till I am back to moon main base.

I wonder if Kit "Barnes Wallis" Spackman can suggest a way to re-create the geodetic structure where I had to close the undercarriage bay.  :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on August 26, 2021, 08:56:08 AM

I wonder if Kit "Barnes Wallis" Spackman can suggest a way to re-create the geodetic structure where I had to close the undercarriage bay.  :rolleyes:

Flattery could get you, er.............anywhere really. ;D

I extended the wings (twice....) on my Wellesley B(PR)3 by the same method, but you need a spare Wellesley..........

As the spacing of the geodetic frame is the same all over the wing, you need to saw out a chunk of similar curvature and shape it to fit the hole. It may be easier to cut out the hole to align with the geodetic structure rather than try and cut out the curves of the gear bays. Cutting a piece out from the spare upper surface, immediately above the gear bay would be favourite of course.

If you can't find another Wellesley you're welcome to some spare wings bits that I have too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Thanks, Kit. As the undercarriage is on the lower wing surface, I just filled the bays and won't bother unduly.  :rolleyes:
Sending spare wings abroad would be too expensive, I am afraid.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

The Rat

Anyone else get the impression that the Wellesley just sits there, stares us directly in the eyes, and absolutely demands to be whiffed? You can obviously do it to any aircraft, but some are more allied to our peculiar passion than others.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Quote from: The Rat on August 26, 2021, 05:16:27 PM
Anyone else get the impression that the Wellesley just sits there, stares us directly in the eyes, and absolutely demands to be whiffed? You can obviously do it to any aircraft, but some are more allied to our peculiar passion than others.

The Ki-46 does it for me.  Such a great looking aircraft with unlimited whiffing potential.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

And Meteors and Canberras do it to me as well.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Canberras definitely for me.  I have so many ideas.  Pity all the kits are relatively expensive though...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on August 28, 2021, 12:46:59 AM
Canberras definitely for me.  I have so many ideas.  Pity all the kits are relatively expensive though...   :banghead:

I have a 1/48 Airfix Canberra PR.9 I don't really know what to do with, if you want it, mate.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Canberras definitely for me.

Me too. I think I have eight, so far.  :rolleyes:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 28, 2021, 01:42:11 AM

I have a 1/48 Airfix Canberra PR.9 I don't really know what to do with, if you want it, mate.

Thanks but wrong scale, sorry. :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on August 28, 2021, 03:57:22 AM

Scale-o-rama it into an EE Canberraliner,,,,,,,,,,,,  ;D

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on August 28, 2021, 03:57:22 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 28, 2021, 01:42:11 AM

All good, thought that might be the case. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

loupgarou

I haven't forgotten my builds, but have been slowed, after my return to main base, from working on buildings for my train layout.
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49718.0

At last, the Wannabe is moving forwards. Spats are from a Ruch PZL-23, the only useful parts, I am afraid  :rolleyes:.
I chose a mediterranean colour scheme, but used light stone instead of medium, that seemed too near to dark earth.
I had a bright idea: as Matchbox had been so nice to provide a full paint drawing, I photocopied it to  full size, and used it to cut masks from a 30 years old adhesive film (nothing gets thrown away here).
Only snag: instead of cutting masks to protect the already painted stone, I cut masks for the dark earth.  :banghead:
So, I had to use the famous "inverted tropical scheme".
Side windows, as the plane will be used only for recce, not light transport, have been plated over with scrap aluminium.
The engine cowl is just hold by blue tack.
Now to engine,details etc.

PR19_Kit

LOVE that aft cockpit look, it really suits it.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Aren't the wheels mounted a bit too far back?  :o

Love the overall look, though, and the cockpit arrangement.  :thumbsup: