Boulton Paul Defiant PR Mk I. Finished Pics Pg 4.

Started by zenrat, August 28, 2021, 04:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The Dagger works quite well on a previously Merlin-engined airframe actually.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

The canopy definitely has an IL-2 vibe. Pilot and another crew member close enough together to shake hands? How very unBritish!
RTOOD2....LOL  ;D  :wacko:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

2996 Victor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2023, 06:32:08 AMThe Dagger works quite well on a previously Merlin-engined airframe actually.

Like it! 6.Sqn Dagger Defiant Mk.IID? And Vickers 'S' guns - now that would have been a what-if!!! Poor old Erwin would have been caught with his panzers down  ;)

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:
Spitfire Mk.I Vichy North Africa - Eduard 1/48
Spitfire PR.XIX Rearward-cockpit - Airfix 1/48
Boulton Paul Valiant Mk.I PR - Airfix 1/48

PR19_Kit

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 11, 2023, 08:03:01 AMLike it! 6.Sqn Dagger Defiant Mk.IID? And Vickers 'S' guns - now that would have been a what-if!!! Poor old Erwin would have been caught with his panzers down  ;)

The build thread and backstory's here. https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48076.0
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

KP Sabre cowlings appear to be not significantly wider than Hasegawa Allison cowlings.
Photo in my blog page.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Back in about 1961 or 1962, a very much younger Rheged converted an Airfix Defiant into a single seater with a single "large tank-busting gun" under each wing and  rockets borrowed from another kit (I forget which....but they were jade green and might possibly have been from  a Heller Alize).  This was my first ever whiff.............but it was not a great success as I had not at that point learned the dark art of PSR.      Kit's current iteration of a Defiant flying tin-opener is a delight to see, and a cogent backstory with it!

Quote from: kerick on May 11, 2023, 06:40:53 AMThe canopy definitely has an IL-2 vibe. Pilot and another crew member close enough together to shake hands? How very unBritish!
RTOOD2....LOL  ;D  :wacko:

I think this might have been permissible  BUT ONLY IF THEY HAD BEEN FORMALLY INTRODUCED TO EACH OTHER AND/OR WORE THE SAME OLD SCHOOL TIE.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on May 12, 2023, 08:10:03 AMI think this might have been permissible  BUT ONLY IF THEY HAD BEEN FORMALLY INTRODUCED TO EACH OTHER AND/OR WORE THE SAME OLD SCHOOL TIE.

ABSOLUTELY old chap! One has to maintain one's standards after all!  :o

Regards
Kit

2996 Victor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2023, 08:30:40 AMThe build thread and backstory's here. https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48076.0
Excellent! I do like the premise of a beefed-up Dagger and the whole Defiant tank-buster is a brilliant idea, plus it looks great in desert camo!

Quote from: zenrat on May 12, 2023, 05:49:21 AMKP Sabre cowlings appear to be not significantly wider than Hasegawa Allison cowlings.
That opens up a raft of intriguing ideas (list of V-1710 aircraft pinched from Wiki):
Bell FM-1 Airacuda
Bell FL Airabonita
Bell P-39 Airacobra
Bell P-63 Kingcobra
Boeing XB-38 Flying Fortress
Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender
Curtiss XP-60A
Curtiss P-37
Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster
Douglas DC-8
Lockheed P-38 Lightning
North American A-36 Apache
North American F-82 Twin Mustang
North American P-51 Mustang
Potentially, anything with a V-1710 could be engineered to fit. Mustang and Kittyhawk are the obvious ones, of course.

Quote from: Rheged on May 12, 2023, 08:10:03 AMBack in about 1961 or 1962, a very much younger Rheged converted an Airfix Defiant into a single seater with a single "large tank-busting gun" under each wing and  rockets borrowed from another kit (I forget which....but they were jade green and might possibly have been from  a Heller Alize).  This was my first ever whiff.............but it was not a great success as I had not at that point learned the dark art of PSR.      Kit's current iteration of a Defiant flying tin-opener is a delight to see, and a cogent backstory with it!
It would have been good to see it!

Quote from: Rheged on May 12, 2023, 08:10:03 AMI think this might have been permissible  BUT ONLY IF THEY HAD BEEN FORMALLY INTRODUCED TO EACH OTHER AND/OR WORE THE SAME OLD SCHOOL TIE.
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 12, 2023, 08:17:13 AMABSOLUTELY old chap! One has to maintain one's standards after all!  :o
And not mix with the riff-raff :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on May 12, 2023, 08:10:03 AMBack in about 1961 or 1962, a very much younger Rheged

So, a bit before or about the time that I was born. :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 13, 2023, 05:49:09 AMThat opens up a raft of intriguing ideas (list of V-1710 aircraft pinched from Wiki):

Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster
Douglas DC-8

Replacing the engines in an XB-42 would easy in WhiffWorld, you can't see their shape anyway as they're buried inside the fuselage.  ;D

But surely the DC-8 is a mistake, the DC-8 was a four engined JET airliner?

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Sabrecobra, Sabrehawk, and Sabrestang have a good ring to them.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

2996 Victor

the DC-8 is a mistake, the DC-8 was a four engined JET airliner?
[/quote]

TBH I hadn't checked - sounds like good old Wiki! ;D

Cheers,
Mark
Mark's workbench:

JayBee

Quote from: 2996 Victor on May 14, 2023, 11:31:22 AMthe DC-8 is a mistake, the DC-8 was a four engined JET airliner?

Only in the Real waorld!  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

2996 Victor

Mark's workbench:

Doug K

Really nice, as I've noted before I have an unhealthy Defiant obsession.....