BBC 'Vigil' series

Started by Weaver, August 28, 2021, 09:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 07, 2021, 12:08:43 PM

The US media use of "football field"* is another eye-roller.

*Which is, of course the 100 yard long American football field.

Can't use that in the UK because "proper  :angel:" football pitches have maximums and minimums for both length and width. Some of the up market press does use cricket wickets occasionally. I suppose it can help some people to visualise these things especially when, as in the UK, we can't make up our minds whether it should be explained in Imperial or Metric  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on September 06, 2021, 01:23:54 PM
Love that cutaway!   😂

Pure gold.  I've never understood the UK press's insistence on using the "London bus" as a standard unit of measure.   

The cutaway's spec gives this one a nod by specifying the sub's weight in football pitches... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

As a matter of interest Channel 5 are repeating the 2 part documentary on HMS Trenchant starting next week.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2021, 06:41:17 AM

Can't use that in the UK because "proper  :angel:" football pitches have maximums and minimums for both length and width. Some of the up market press does use cricket wickets occasionally. I suppose it can help some people to visualise these things especially when, as in the UK, we can't make up our minds whether it should be explained in Imperial or Metric  :angel:

So does the US NFL football field: 100 yard X 160 ft. "playing area" + 10 yd. "end zones" at both ends.
Total dimensions being 360'(120 yds.) X 160'. When the media use the term they mean the 300' X 160'
"playing area". Still rather meaningless as a size measurement.
;D

The CFL(Canadian Football league) field is larger, 150 yards (137 m) long and 65 yards (59 m) wide,
the goal areas are 20 yards (18 m) deep, and the goal lines are 110 yards (101 m) apart.

tigercat

Weaver

Quote from: tigercat on September 09, 2021, 11:33:29 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2010/may/17/mind-your-language-david-marsh

Don't forget an area the size of Wales and Olympic size swimming pools

It always amuses me that they never specify the map area of Wales or it's actual surface area. Wales is so hilly that if you ironed it flat, it'd be the size of France... ;D ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Must admit I've always found "the area the size of Wales" a pointless one, but hen a lot of people in this country wouldn't be able to point it out on a map and sadly I'm only part joking  :-\

Quote from: Weaver on September 10, 2021, 04:45:11 AM

It always amuses me that they never specify the map area of Wales or it's actual surface area. Wales is so hilly that if you ironed it flat, it'd be the size of France... ;D ;)

Ah but then surely in the interests of fair play you'd have to iron France flat to  ;)

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 10, 2021, 07:21:48 AM
Must admit I've always found "the area the size of Wales" a pointless one, but hen a lot of people in this country wouldn't be able to point it out on a map and sadly I'm only part joking  :-\

Quote from: Weaver on September 10, 2021, 04:45:11 AM

Ah but then surely in the interests of fair play you'd have to iron France flat to  ;)

Have you just come up with a moral justification for ironing France flat?
You can't just go around throwing temptation in good Englishmen's paths like that you know... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

:angel: :angel:

Actually whilst not considering myself a Francophile I do have a love of French history and one of my great regrets is not pursuing French at school  :-\ I did woodwork instead, thought it would be more useful in later life. Dumb decision  :banghead:

tigercat

Sacre Bleu France as flat as a Crepe Suzette .

Is that the one you set on fire ?

Rheged

Quote from: tigercat on September 11, 2021, 06:28:41 AM

Correct!  That is the one you set on fire..............and I've seen a waiter in Lorient just about take off his eyebrows with an act of totally reckless flambee work!!      I'm told by my sister, who was with me at the time (and speaks good French)  that the language the patron used  to him afterwards was pretty blisteringly hot too!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: tigercat on September 11, 2021, 06:28:41 AM

France or the Crepe Suzette?

Actually that's a pointless question, since the correct answer is 'yes' to either... :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Just been pointed out on Twitter that this guy got a promotion in the space of 15mins while at sea...  ;D :rolleyes:

Original tweet by Daryl Howells here: https://twitter.com/DarylDixie1970/status/1437181528451203074?s=20

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Good news for Olympic-standard peanut-throwers and elephant-sized-nit-pickers everywhere: Vigil has been commissioned for a second series... :rolleyes:

Apparently series 2 will take place on a fictional Scottish RAF base where a series of strange deaths have taken place. Reportedly the first two victims are called Aku Rasi and Kreddi Bil-iti...

- Indiana Jones

crudebuteffective

Quote from: Weaver on September 13, 2021, 05:40:16 AMJust been pointed out on Twitter that this guy got a promotion in the space of 15mins while at sea...  ;D :rolleyes:

Original tweet by Daryl Howells here: https://twitter.com/DarylDixie1970/status/1437181528451203074?s=20

the royal navy refused to have anything to do with this program, even to the point of refusing the beeb permission to use the correct white ensign and correct cap badges
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?