Hughes Watcher PR Mk-I

Started by TomZ, August 29, 2021, 09:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Hughes Watcher PR Mk-I

In 1945 the RAF was looking for a reconnaissance aircraft for use in the continued war against Japan in the far east. After looking at various British designs, the choice fell on the Hughes F-11A which had just made it first flight in June 1945.

The British named the aircraft Watcher. The first Watcher PR Mk-I was delivered to the RAF in September 1946. In all 176 Watchers were delivered to the RAF. The type was very successful, flying faster and higher than the opposing Japanese fighters.

Model: Anigrand 1/72

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Glenn Gilbertson

JayBee

I realy do like that, it just looks so right (although I am sure a certain member here would suggest that the wings should be longer !).
I do find the nose U/C slightly suspect with a single wheel ofset like that.
But, gosh yes that is a lovely looking aircraft, especially in that scheme.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Even better than your Welkin Tom.  :thumbsup:

And yes, it would look better with longer wings, and if I'd got my finger out for this GB my F-11 would have had just that, but it'll have to wait for a later date I fear.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

It looks great!  :) 

Where did you find a model of that aircraft?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

It's an Anigrand resin kit, Tom mentioned it at the bottom of his pics.

I've got one too, and it's pretty darn good. There's an Execuform vacfom of it as well, but it's not half as good as it's male moulnded.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

It appears to me the nose gear wheel is offset to make room for classified photo equipment. Or something like that......

Awesome job!!! Makes me think of the PR version of the Northrup P-61.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

It appears that the kit understates the offset of the noseweel:

TomZ

kitbasher

:thumbsup:

Very elegant - don't recall ever seeing a pic of the type with its gear down before.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

A lovely build of a gorgeous aeroplane  :bow: Certainly suits that colour scheme.

Can I assume each of those propeller blades is a separate item as in most Anigrand kits ? If so then  :bow: to you sir.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 30, 2021, 07:22:13 AM
Can I assume each of those propeller blades is a separate item as in most Anigrand kits ?

Indeed they are......

TomZ