Scale Model World 2021

Started by Martin H, August 31, 2021, 01:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Its been posted up on the IPMS(UK) web site that the show is on! (unless HMG moves the goal posts)

Click here to read the press release

There are a few hoops to be jumped through to attend, vaccine passport and the like. Dont blame the IPMS exsec, blame the Government rules that will likely be place for large indoor events by the time the show kicks off.

Also. Although the show is currently going ahead. Dont be supprised if it get cancelled. Thats if the infection rate starts going into orbit again.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

And no Kit Swap.

Expect lots of hidden under table boxes then.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 31, 2021, 01:41:06 PM
And no Kit Swap.

Ah well....not surprised (saw the announcement on FaceTube, not read it all, not read whats at the end of the link above). 

BUT

Good news about SMW, OGL is right to remind us of the possibility of changes, but hey, its on.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Martin H

And no Kit Swap.

Don't count on it. I suspect the Venue security team will be enforcing the no undertable sales rule along with any extra covid related rules put in place. Arguing with them is likely to be a surefire way of finding yourself being frog marched off the site.
Unfortunately,

kitbasher

I would assume none of that would preclude 'under the table click and collect (at show)', i.e. prearranged sales amongst mates that are handed over at Telford.

Also I'd say there's a 'goodwill to traders' benefit - see the 'trading at model shows' thread - given it'll have been 2 years since the previous SMW.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

There's another news page up here now: https://ipmsuk.org/viewpoint/19983/

Excerpt:

"It is important to note that we will continue prohibit under-table sales from Branch and SIG displays. This was originally stopped on health and safety grounds and we reintroduced the Kitswap to offer an alternative means of selling on unwanted kits. Those risks have not changed over the years. We apologise for having to make this decision in 2021 but we remain fully committed to bringing the Kitswap back in 2022."

I think it's unlikely I'll be going to be honest, and if masks are required, then definitely not. It's not that I disagree with masks, it's just that I personally can't tolerate them for more than about an hour, so a whole day would be deeply unpleasant.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on August 31, 2021, 08:46:46 PM
And no Kit Swap.

Don't count on it. I suspect the Venue security team will be enforcing the no undertable sales rule along with any extra covid related rules put in place. Arguing with them is likely to be a surefire way of finding yourself being frog marched off the site.

Note the eighth word of my original post...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on September 01, 2021, 12:07:03 AM

"It is important to note that we will continue prohibit under-table sales from Branch and SIG displays. This was originally stopped on health and safety grounds and we reintroduced the Kitswap to offer an alternative means of selling on unwanted kits. Those risks have not changed over the years."

Really? I don't think so!

And I fail to see such a risk, are other shows, where under table sales are allowed, a hotbed of illness and accident? Definitely not!

Regards
Kit

Nick

So my plan of paying for this years show with a big sale in the Kitswap is scuppered. Bother  :angry:  I'll have to recoup my costs next time.

How to get a UK Covid Passport - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/

More to the point: The public need to book in advance, presumably to control the numbers and prevent overcrowding (as per Covid restrictions). Will IPMS members and SIG/Club members need to book their attendance as well?

Martin H

Quote from: kitbasher on August 31, 2021, 11:42:35 PM
I would assume none of that would preclude 'under the table click and collect (at show)', i.e. prearranged sales amongst mates that are handed over at Telford.

As I understand it, you assume correctly Dave.
Unfortunately,

NARSES2

Cheers Martin. Good news for now  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Nick on September 01, 2021, 03:48:01 AM

More to the point: The public need to book in advance, presumably to control the numbers and prevent overcrowding (as per Covid restrictions). Will IPMS members and SIG/Club members need to book their attendance as well?

My reading of this Nick "IPMS members from the United Kingdom or from overseas are entitled to free entry on both days on production of a valid IPMS Membership card." is that they will not have to.

Already got an NHS passport on my phone as I need it for travelling long distance on some trains. Just need to book my trains, but won't be doing that until 4 weeks or so before as that's not refundable if the show's cancelled.

I can understand why under table sales are a risk to health and safety in these litigious times. Someone bends or kneels down to exam some under table sales, someone walking along and not paying attention to what's in front of them, to busy looking at the exhibits, falls over them and Bob's your uncle you've a law suit on your hands. I feel sorry for the committee personally.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

I've just seen this from John Tapsell on Facebook which clears up my concern:

IPMS Members do not need to pre-register (but note the comment on set-up crews below). On arrival at the show you will need to present your membership card and be issued with a wristband. You'll also need to present whatever Covid credentials are required at the time (we won't know for certain what they are until a bit closer to the show dates).
There IS a distinction made between IPMS Members who are setting up their Branch/SIG displays ('exhibitors') and IPMS Members who enter through the front entrance after 0900 on Saturday and Sunday as 'visitors'.
The set-up teams will have to be identified in advance (max of four named members per group) and will have a different wristband that allows them access on Friday afternoon.
Not sure how we will manage entry for set-up on Saturday and Sunday (before 0900) yet but we'll keep you informed on that.

Martin H

Quote from: Nick on September 01, 2021, 08:52:47 AM
I've just seen this from John Tapsell on Facebook which clears up my concern:

IPMS Members do not need to pre-register (but note the comment on set-up crews below). On arrival at the show you will need to present your membership card and be issued with a wristband. You'll also need to present whatever Covid credentials are required at the time (we won't know for certain what they are until a bit closer to the show dates).
There IS a distinction made between IPMS Members who are setting up their Branch/SIG displays ('exhibitors') and IPMS Members who enter through the front entrance after 0900 on Saturday and Sunday as 'visitors'.
The set-up teams will have to be identified in advance (max of four named members per group) and will have a different wristband that allows them access on Friday afternoon.
Not sure how we will manage entry for set-up on Saturday and Sunday (before 0900) yet but we'll keep you informed on that.

So, bar what ever Covid credentials are needed they are operating the same set up crew system thats been in place for the last 3-4 shows.
Unfortunately,

Freightdog862

Very happy to hear SMW is going ahead.

I like a few traders have opted to rollover my trade stand to 2022, and attend in 2021 as an IPMS member. If I manage to have any new whif items ready on time I will sell them on the website.

Colin

philp

I am happy for you lot that the show is on.

I just attended the US Nats in Las Vegas and masks were required indoors for the full 4 days.  Really wasn't that big a deal as you could step outside if you needed a break.

We had a good show but missed all our European and Asian friends.  Next year in Omaha, hope to see some of you.

Have a great show and remember to take pics for those of us that can't make it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies