WW2 Nimitz post "The Final Countdown"

Started by Joe C-P, September 02, 2021, 12:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

As I contemplated the history, I realized there would be an imbalance in the universe due to the additional mass of the ship, planes, and crew, and so that weird storm had to compensate to ensure the space-time continuum.  So, after dropping off the Nimitz, creating a new parallel universe, it picked up a few ships and brought them to 1982. 
I thought about USS Nevada, the only BB to get underway, but I can't find a model of her at a price I can afford for a what-if.  Instead I had Nimitz's F-14s shoot down most of the first IJN attack wave, just enough getting through to wreck the airfields and sink or damage a few ships, while Arizona is left untouched and so heads out with USS St. Louis, since I love the late-edition Brooklyn class, all those turrets!
Then the storm also swings through the remnants of the IJN fleet, seriously wrecked by Nimitz's bombers, picking up the cruiser Chikuma and a couple DDs.

Someday I'll get all my pieces and parts out of storage and get to building!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

It's a fascinating scenario Jo. Got me thinking of something similar occurring immediately prior to Jutland, Tsushima or even Trafalgar  <_<
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Joe C-P

I too have been considering other possibilities.  My personal concept is the ship gets there and can continue to operate and so be adapted to the current environment, so the model is visibly changed.

A French BB arriving at Trafalgar wouldn't fit since it wouldn't be able to operate for long.  Although, that might work as a diorama, said French BB smashing through the Royal Navy fleet, a trail of shattered, sinking ships behind.  :wacko:

Some ideas:
A predreadnought back to the American Civil War or Crimean War.

A group of Roman galleys forward in time.  A modern commando, Roman soldiers carrying guns on stealthy sailed/rowed ships!  Ballistae and trebuchet are relatively silent, too, firing mortal shells and explosive-tipped bolts.

1700s warships back in time - they'd know how to make gun powder and cast cannon balls.  The Spanish Armada bolstered by a 100 gunner.

A Japanese or German ship back into WW2 - what happens, what do they do?
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

buzzbomb

One scenario already covered in print
Emperors Men,  pre WW1 destroyer transported back to Roman times

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31558630-the-emperor-s-men-1

jcf

QuoteI'm wondering if the Nimitz catapults and arrestor wires can be adjusted for WW2 planes?

You wouldn't need to use the catapults, the size of the flight deck would enable
takeoff without being catapulted.
;D

jcf

A modern gas-turbine powered ship is off the table right off the bat.

Oil-fired OK in some scenarios, go too far back in the past however and
you'll run into all kinds of supply problems. Converting them to coal, if
possible would be a slow and expensive process, you'd never be able
to achieve the original level of performance and as the ship wouldn't
have been designed to load, store and handle coal it'd be an additional
stumbling block. Conversion to wood is completely out of the question.

zenrat

An Akula class sub back to the Russo-Japanese War?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..