WW2..but not like we know it.

Started by Wardukw, September 28, 2021, 04:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 08, 2023, 12:28:21 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 08, 2023, 12:26:16 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 08, 2023, 12:23:33 AMMy oh my what a big gun you have kitty  ;)
170mm baby with extended barrel 😍 😋

So, how many times go you expect it to flip in the air before it hits the ground again when it fires that monster? :unsure:  ;)
It's not that bad really..the Germans were masters at this sort of thing.
The weight of the chassis alone would negate alot of recoil force felt thru the hull.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Quote from: Wardukw on June 08, 2023, 12:34:32 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 08, 2023, 12:28:21 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 08, 2023, 12:26:16 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 08, 2023, 12:23:33 AMMy oh my what a big gun you have kitty  ;)
170mm baby with extended barrel 😍 😋

So, how many times go you expect it to flip in the air before it hits the ground again when it fires that monster? :unsure:  ;)
It's not that bad really..the Germans were masters at this sort of thing.
The weight of the chassis alone would negate alot of recoil force felt thru the hull.
This got me thinking..the M107 175mm SPG...the barrel is a L60 calibre lenght..10.5 metres ...it's got a very light chassis which can lock its suspension and with the spade buryed it easily handled full power charges which gave it a range of like 40kms .
The russian 2S7 Pion..you can see that used in the Ukraine...that's a 8in ..203mm system..when that fires a full power charge  you bloody well know it  :lol:
The entire chassis jumps at full recoil.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Where's the crew going to stand?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on June 08, 2023, 03:07:49 PMWhere's the crew going to stand?
I haven't put the loading ramp on yet Ken ..and when in motion some will sit in the turret and the others travel with a reload vehicle..pretty much just like the M107 .

zenrat

Coming along nicely.

I've had to stop going into my LHS because they have a Trumpeter Kondensator on the shelf tempting me.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on June 09, 2023, 07:41:56 AMComing along nicely.

I've had to stop going into my LHS because they have a Trumpeter Kondensator on the shelf tempting me.

To quote  one Oscar Fingal O'Fflahertie Wills Wilde   "  the best way to eliminate temptation is by giving in".    What sort of price is said item?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Wardukw

Fred ive been tempted by that thing since the first moment I saw it ..that beast is just so me ya know  :wacko:  :wub:  :o
Rheged mate I would go with temptation in a heart beat to score one of these ...price wise..BNA have it for  $ 143 Aus which for its size..a good price 👍

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw on June 08, 2023, 10:04:44 PM
Quote from: kerick on June 08, 2023, 03:07:49 PMWhere's the crew going to stand?
I haven't put the loading ramp on yet Ken ..and when in motion some will sit in the turret and the others travel with a reload vehicle..pretty much just like the M107 .
If I were near that when it fired I would hope to be in a trench!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on June 09, 2023, 01:45:41 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 08, 2023, 10:04:44 PM
If I were near that when it fired I would hope to be in a trench!
It's not that bad ..just stand with your ears covered and mouth open..that stops  the concussion from the muzzle blast .
There's plenty of pics out there of the M107 firing with the gun crew just standing around it and that is a very powerful gun.
Being behind the gun isn't all that bad..being in front of it..whole different story  ;D

kerick

Try close air support with 2000 pounders!
A story in Air Force Times telling about how the Taliban and the Northern Alliance were going toe to toe at some valley in Afghanistan. It was almost WW1 with both sides dug in facing each other. The US advisors with JTACs called for air support as the Northern Alliance was starting to get hammered. The JTAC transmitted coordinates for a kill box surrounding the Taliban forces. Unknown to them the aircraft answering the call was a B-52. It dumped its entire load of JDAMs into the kill box. After the explosions stopped the silence was deafening.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

I've been in the presence of 2000 pounders doing their job and even at a kilometer away you can feel the shock wave ..admittedly it's alot weakrer by then but you can still feel it.
We've had close contact with 500 and 1000 pounders at ranges under 300 metres..damn mate the ground dances when they go off .
It's the sound which gets ya the most..then when the stick has done its job the strangest thing is how quite it is...very weird.

kerick

In the case of the Taliban they were all dead and the Northern Alliance troops were in total shock of what just happened. Plus no one could hear at all.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Well there's one thing you always guarantee when a 2000lb bomb  goes boom..everything goes bye-bye.
  ;D 

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw on June 09, 2023, 05:43:24 PMIt's the sound which gets ya the most..then when the stick has done its job the strangest thing is how quite it is...very weird.

Not strange or weird at all, your ears have suffered significant trauma & the nerves are in shock, so you can't hear anything below a certain decibel level.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 10, 2023, 12:58:34 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on June 09, 2023, 05:43:24 PMIt's the sound which gets ya the most..then when the stick has done its job the strangest thing is how quite it is...very weird.

Not strange or weird at all, your ears have suffered significant trauma & the nerves are in shock, so you can't hear anything below a certain decibel level.
Not at a kilometer away Guy..ya don't get that at that range..but still it's dead quite..we cam hear each other fine..it's there's no sounds..birds ..insects ..wind..then slowly it returns ..it's probably the shock which moves thru the ground which scares the wild life .