Gunships - Inspiration.

Started by zenrat, October 01, 2021, 05:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Sometimes I like to try to make civilian versions of military things. I got to thinking about how I could do this with a gunship. That got me to thinking..... "what type of situation could a civilian actually be in possession of and using guns? "  Then it hit me, "Well, they do that with avalanche mitigation, literally shooting howitzers at mountains."  So there we have it...... one thing lead to another and the premise of a private company capitlaizing on the idea of a mobile avalanche gun platform that could reach even the most remote ski slopes and mountains passes, regardless of roadway openings and other factors (and far quicker than hauling in one on a ground vehicle) so the "Avalancer" was born.......    lance some avalanches from the sky to create intentional avalanches to stave off accidental ones. A civilian gunship.

I had another similar idea not too long ago thanks to the movie "The Towering Inferno."   What if there were an aircraft that could be deployed to fight high rise fires? Water cannons instead of ....    artillery cannons. It could sort of orbit around the top of a burning skycraper and shoot water onto it. Not the most effective way to fight a fire but would be better than NOTHING perhaps? Kinda neat concept to think about, in my opinion. Paint up the airplane with all the fancy fire truck type of paint jobs, etc...  brass nozzles water cannons (you know, like the ones on boats).  Time on station might be short lived but just imagine instead of dropping a bunch of water all at once, just releasing it through the cannons...   stupid idea, probably... fun idea? Proabably!!
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Not a bad idea at all! Something small enough to maneuver around tall buildings and land on short runways for quick turnaround. I'm thinking G222 or C-27 upgrade. Other choices out there I'm sure.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Flyer

Quote from: kerick on October 15, 2021, 08:15:10 PM
Not a bad idea at all! Something small enough to maneuver around tall buildings and land on short runways for quick turnaround. I'm thinking G222 or C-27 upgrade. Other choices out there I'm sure.
or DHC Caribou :thumbsup:

But it got me thinking that forward speed would be a problem with this idea so how about a large helicopter like a Chinook, CH-53 or Skycrane. Or just use a Skycrane to lift a fire truck to the required height ;D
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Flyer on October 16, 2021, 12:24:14 AM

But it got me thinking that forward speed would be a problem with this idea so how about a large helicopter like a Chinook, CH-53 or Skycrane. Or just use a Skycrane to lift a fire truck to the required height ;D

Just use the regular Skycrane firebomber

But where's the fun in being conventional and logical?  ;D

How about the 747 firebomber?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/747_Supertanker

And there are all those airframes sitting in mothballs now,,,

TheChronicOne

Maaaannnnnn that 74 is so damn cool.....   I've caught some of the vids.   What a dream job to be on that thing!
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

I was thinking of using my 'Vietnam Neptune ' as a starting point as seen at the Hendon RAF Museum model show, many years ago.
https://imgur.com/a/u1mOUGc

zenrat

Quote from: Flyer on October 16, 2021, 12:24:14 AM

Mojave with water cannon shooting out of the front loading doors.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 14, 2021, 08:03:13 AM
Just think how difficult it would be to hit the train, too. Being so small, & the Fallschirmjägers & Stuka pilots being so used to full-size trains, they'd miss every time! ;D

The Stuka pilots would think they were too high and pull out of their dives too late... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

I seem to remember a set up with a helicopter to lift a fire house from the street to spray a high rise fire. The limiting factor was the weight of the hose and water. The advantage was no tank on the chopper to run dry so continuous water volume.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on October 17, 2021, 01:27:33 AM
... a set up with a helicopter to lift a fire house from the street to spray a high rise fire ...

This had me laughing! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

House, hose, horse, whatever works!
Autocorrect is not always helpful!!!!
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on October 17, 2021, 12:30:58 PM
House, hose, horse, whatever works!
Autocorrect is not always helpful!!!!

Autocorrect is a right pain in the tonsils...............or much further down the digestive tract.   Anyway, we all knew what you meant and all had a quiet chuckle.

I seem to remember a "Dan Dare"  story on the front of the Eagle comic aeons ago where a one man machine like a Fairey Ultralight  was doing exactly what you suggest...............but only those of more mature years will remember the Eagle.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on October 17, 2021, 12:44:09 PM

...............but only those of more mature years will remember the Eagle.

Remember it, the Eagle (the Annual in particular) was a major factor in my career path some years later on!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.