Gunships - Inspiration.

Started by zenrat, October 01, 2021, 05:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Gully Gu-48 Godwit 015 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Kawanishi Type 97 H6K5 21 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

At this point I was going to insert a picture of Firefly with the gun lashed on top shooting at the Reavers.  But I couldn't find one.  So here's a pic of River instead.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Flyer

What are the missiles on the Helio Stallion? Sparrows?

Next question, why??  :o
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

NARSES2

I assume that HGV with the 4x40mm AAA is parked up due to a lack of drivers ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rheged

Should anyone want a really off-the-wall suggestion,  there's always a Hussite war wagon  from 1420 or thereabouts.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_wagon#:~:text=A%20medieval%20European%20war%20wagon%20was%20developed%20in,supported%20by%20infantry%20using%20spears%2C%20pikes%20and%20flails.

The article even mentions a Chinese war wagon from the 119BC  Han–Xiongnu War .

Two questions  arise from this information......

1   Would either of these qualify as a "GUNSHIP" ?   and if so....

2  Is anyone here  clever/deranged/confused enough to try to make one?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Quote from: Flyer on October 01, 2021, 06:00:16 AM

Yes, they are Sparrpows.
Why, it was just a publicity stunt.

It has been said that as the Stallion did not have any radar to guide the missiles the most aggresive act it would have been capable of would have been to drop them on somebodies head.  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

McColm

The Convair B-36 Peacemaker would make a rather ambitious Gunship, my funds don't run to the 1/72 scale model so something smaller will have to be sourced.
The Avro Shackleton MR.1 kitbashed with parts from the Short Stirling. Alleycat does the MR.1 conversion set to be used with the Airfix kit. Although the parts do fit the old Frog MR.3 with a bit of persuasion.
The EH-101 Merlin Gunship would be another, I have tried a Gunship version of the Bristol Type 170 and the Mach2 AW Argosy which do work, parts from the AC-119K and AC-130U were used on both builds taken from 'spares and repairs ' section of eBay.
Now the Mil-24 Hind is a helicopter Gunship but kitbashed with a Westland Sea King HC.4 would be very interesting.
Or should I just stick with the Mach2 North American Savage?

AeroplaneDriver

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=9596.0

One of my old builds that fits solidly into this category.  I may revisit this idea for the GB...
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48690.0

And another that I would say fall within the scope since it's puny chin guns are replaced with a stonkin' big cannon...and I'd love to see some Sci-Fi entries in this GB!! 

AeroplaneDriver

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49127.msg917941#msg917941

And one more that I'd say fits since it's .50 cal pop guns were replaced with 20 and 40mm cannons for anti-shipping work. 

Weaver

Quote from: JayBee on October 01, 2021, 12:19:07 PM
Quote from: Flyer on October 01, 2021, 06:00:16 AM

Yes, they are Sparrpows.
Why, it was just a publicity stunt.

It has been said that as the Stallion did not have any radar to guide the missiles the most aggresive act it would have been capable of would have been to drop them on somebodies head.  :rolleyes:

One might also suggest that, Sparrows being Sparrows, they might thus have had a greater chance of actually hitting anything than had they been fired in the way Raytheon intended. I'm sure there'd have been a greater chance of all four still being functional by the end of their flight... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

If anyone's interested, Alleycat did a range of Turbo-Dakota conversions, including the Basler Turbo 67s that are used as gunships. However, Alec's stopped direct sales through his website and Modelsforsale, who are now handling his range, don't have the Dak conversions up on their website. Hopefully, this is only a temporary thing.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Another one of mine.

To-27 Sawfly 003 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Also, it occurred to me that technicals qualify.

And Katyushas.

And this.  Assault Support Patrol Boat MkII prototype.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on October 01, 2021, 10:52:32 AM
Should anyone want a really off-the-wall suggestion,  there's always a Hussite war wagon  from 1420 or thereabouts.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_wagon#:~:text=A%20medieval%20European%20war%20wagon%20was%20developed%20in,supported%20by%20infantry%20using%20spears%2C%20pikes%20and%20flails.

Back in the day when I was into late medieval/early Renaissance wargaming one of the figure manufacturers, Essex I think, did a 25mm white metal one. I've still got my Essex Han Chinese army which has lots of heavily armed charriots.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.