Gunships - Inspiration.

Started by zenrat, October 01, 2021, 05:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: kerick on October 02, 2021, 07:30:08 PM
Quote from: Nick on October 02, 2021, 11:30:51 AM
Quote from: scooter on October 02, 2021, 07:09:29 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 02, 2021, 06:24:42 AM
ISTR at least one western where a Gatling was hidden in a covered wagon. The  Outlaw Josey Wales maybe?

Yes.  At the beginning of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjrx0TjJN6M

There was a John Wayne movie called The War Wagon. Some kind of armored stagecoach. The problem with all of these is why not just shoot the horses, mules, oxen, whatever?...

Because, as I learnt watching the clip and paying attention, horses are bulletproof.  Clint guns down no-end of Yankees without a single tethered horse in the background getting hit.  A few fall over when the troops riding them are shot but they get up again.

Alabama Slammer pics have made me think of the contraptions the A-Team came up with while (once again) locked in a shed with a fully equipped workshop.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on October 03, 2021, 03:34:26 AM
Alabama Slammer pics have made me think of the contraptions the A-Team came up with while (once again) locked in a shed with a fully equipped workshop.

That was the ingenuity we needed in the Before Times - prior to the level 2 armor kits hitting the depots and Level 1 vehicles coming straight from the factory.  Because...you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want.

And I think those shots of the Slammer might have been taken in late '03, early '04.  My battalion (50th Main Support BN, 42ID(M)) had to turn in all our M-8xx series 5 tons during our predeployment phase, including several trucks with XM-818 by Kaiser Willy's data plates for 900 and FMTV series trucks.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on October 02, 2021, 10:36:49 AM

HaT industrie make Gatling guns and Gardner guns in 1/72nd :

Hat's range is pretty impressive. I had a few of their sets, the plastic's quite soft, a bit like the old Airfix figures, but none the less impressive.

Quote from: kerick on October 02, 2021, 07:30:08 PM

There was a John Wayne movie called The War Wagon. Some kind of armored stagecoach. The problem with all of these is why not just shoot the horses, mules, oxen, whatever?

Ah well you just give them a full Sassanian or late Byzantine armoured bard  ;)

https://about-history.com/history-of-the-cataphract/

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

I've a plan to do this one day;

I've gathered most of the parts for it to build as you see it, but since then I've had second thoughts about the whole concept (as usually happens  ;D )

So I've got another plan coming together but it involves a lot of work which I don't see getting it done in the GB's time span, so I'll do it some other time.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 03, 2021, 07:53:22 AM

Why are they shooting up those poor sheep farmers trying to get their flock to the market down river on the boat that's just blown up? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sandiego89

I believe the Belvedere was remembered as one of the more elegant gunships  ;)

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Mossie

And if you want to go the whole hog...
http://www.modelcollect.com/german-wwii-p1000-ratte-scharnhorst1945

It's well worth a browse through the full range, they're obsessed with big guns if their sci-fi and paper panzer ranges are anything to go by:
http://www.modelcollect.com/germany

loupgarou

Zenrat, you should unearth your old avatar, Hello-Kitty-with-Kalashnikov for this GB.  ;)
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Weaver

I was looking for a good pic of the OV-1 Brid Dog 'Little Puff', that was tested with a side-firing M60 in Vietnam, when I came across this even greater silliness. Yes folks, those are a pair of M3 submachine guns in devastating .45 ACP... ;D

Presumably you'd call this a Greasegunship... :wacko:

Images from here: https://soldiersystems.net/2016/09/24/this-is-too-good-to-not-share/

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Here's one I photographed at the Yuma Airshow in 2013. Chatting with the owner he said it's a replica of an aircraft that was set up like this.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 04, 2021, 06:44:10 AM
Here's one I photographed at the Yuma Airshow in 2013. Chatting with the owner he said it's a replica of an aircraft that was set up like this.

Yes I've seen that one before, but there was definitely one with a side-firing M60 in the cabin.

EDIT: found it! It was in the Squadron/Signal book, but it wasn't on the web anywhere.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

This is what you get when FACs try to be fighter jocks. The pairs of rockets are there to mark the target then get your a$$ out of the way before the big boys show up. Anything else can get you killed.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise