Gunships - Inspiration.

Started by zenrat, October 01, 2021, 05:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on October 04, 2021, 03:54:10 PM
This is what you get when FACs try to be fighter jocks. The pairs of rockets are there to mark the target then get your a$$ out of the way before the big boys show up. Anything else can get you killed.

Well yes, but then FACs often had the experience of telling the grunts that the F-4s were 10 minutes out and getting the reply "we haven't got 10 freakin' minutes!".

I think it was the USMC who ordered the M60s removed from their Broncos so that pilots wern't tempted to go in too close to support troops.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

More light gunships:

The Pilatus PC-6 aka Fairchild AU-23 Peacemaker was operationally trialled in Vietnam in the early 1970s under the PAVE COIN programme:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_AU-23_Peacemaker

THe Helio AU-24 Stallion was also trialled under the same programme. This is the aircraft shown in the first post on here carrying four Sparrows as a joke. Real-world armament was a side-firing M-197 three-barrelled 20mm gatling gun and five hardpoints, the same as the AU-23:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helio_AU-24_Stallion

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

You can improvise gunships too. This pic shows a Browning M2HB being fired from the door of a De Havilland Dove of the Katangan Air Force during the Congolese Civil War. The aircraft was allegedly being flown by Jan Zumbach, a Polish ex-RAF ace with 12 kills to his name in WWII.

Pic from here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/The_Siege_of_Jadotville/5-1907518/&page=5

Whirlybirds do a conversion set for Doves in the Congo, which contains resin and etched parts, but I can't find out exactly WHAT parts, so I don't know if it covers this aircraft or not.

- Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

This can be a scaleorama project with a 1/72 Ju-88 and a 1/48 Ju-87

Will die without understanding this world.

Doug K

All these real world photos are closing off so many ideas that might have been whiffed! Amazing contraptions.

zenrat

I was looking at the Airfix DH Heron kit WRT this GB today.
But it's such a graceful aircraft I don't think In could bring myself to turn it into an agent of destruction.
The Special Hobby Northrop Delta on the other hand...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Perhaps a squad of gentlemen firing shotguns through the Heron's windows?

Purdeys of course.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 10, 2021, 07:38:29 AM
Perhaps a squad of gentlemen firing shotguns through the Heron's windows?

Purdeys of course.  ;)

In tweed & plus-fours...

scooter

Just a random thought, if anyone's thinking of doing a YB-40 - Transfer the 327th from 8AF to 9AF for CAS during Operation Cobra.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on October 10, 2021, 11:28:50 AM
Just a random thought, if anyone's thinking of doing a YB-40 - Transfer the 327th from 8AF to 9AF for CAS during Operation Cobra.

And I've got a conversion to do one of those too --- 1/72 of course ---  ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Somebody's been smok'n a little something somewhere at Boeing.....
This sounds like an idea from a comic book. Nobody is going to put an extremely valuable B-1 bomber within gun range of target that will probably shoot back. We have AC-130 that can do it better and JDAMs if that's not enough. Unless Boeing is playing some sort of legal game.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 11, 2021, 01:36:34 PM
Bristling?

All two of them?  :-\

In the article there are more images showing different potential layouts, some with four cannon. It mentions the possibility of using larger guns too.  Also, the B-1B has three weapons bays, so that's a potential 6 cannon of that particular layout.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: kerick on October 11, 2021, 03:11:25 PM
Somebody's been smok'n a little something somewhere at Boeing.....
This sounds like an idea from a comic book. Nobody is going to put an extremely valuable B-1 bomber within gun range of target that will probably shoot back. We have AC-130 that can do it better and JDAMs if that's not enough. Unless Boeing is playing some sort of legal game.

A patent just means Boeing are hedging their bets.  The Bone is getting elderly now and they'll be proposing all sorts of potential roles in the hope the USAF will bite, even if it's a wild idea as keeping it in service a few years longer will mean a lot of income for Boeing.  Apparently the B-1s were used for some level of CAS in Afghanistan, being able to loiter for long periods and dash quickly when no other asset was available, so they're looking to extend that role, daft as it may be.