Gunships - Inspiration.

Started by zenrat, October 01, 2021, 05:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

CAS with JDAMs or LGBs is one thing, this gun idea is just silly to me. Maybe Boeing is playing the game with Congress. I just can't see serious people in the Air Force buying this.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Maybe the plan is to use to when the enemy can't shoot back.  Like when it's a car load of civilians...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Quote from: kerick on October 11, 2021, 11:39:47 PM
CAS with JDAMs or LGBs is one thing, this gun idea is just silly to me. Maybe Boeing is playing the game with Congress. I just can't see serious people in the Air Force buying this.

No ones disagreeing.  But it's a cool concept, if daft.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

JayBee

Daft, Yes.
Silly Yes.

Inspirational, on this forum, most definately. YES

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kerick

Quote from: JayBee on October 12, 2021, 01:57:16 PM

Daft, Yes.
Silly Yes.

Inspirational, on this forum, most definately. YES

That is very true!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Not that I'm going to do it, but just by way of inspiration: armed/armoured trains should definitely count for this GB.

Several companies make models of real armoured trains, so one easy way of doing it would be to take one of those and give it modern weapons: replace the T-26/T-34 turrets (most of them are Russian) with modern tank/armoured car/MICV turrets, replace multi-MG AAA mounts with Vulcans and Stingers etc...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tahsin

Logical experts elsewhere put that down to a graduation project. The original idea was putting air defence guns on top and the like, with "bombbay doors" on the spine, just to annoy a certain Jack Broughton, who was in the test program. Yeah, what if a Fresco catches an unvisible Bone!?

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on October 12, 2021, 04:27:20 PM
Not that I'm going to do it, but just by way of inspiration: armed/armoured trains should definitely count for this GB.

Several companies make models of real armoured trains, so one easy way of doing it would be to take one of those and give it modern weapons: replace the T-26/T-34 turrets (most of them are Russian) with modern tank/armoured car/MICV turrets, replace multi-MG AAA mounts with Vulcans and Stingers etc...

Lightly armoured gun-train carriages would be used against lightly armed guerrillas in the habit of taking potshots at passing supply trains (the Sompting People's Front harassing services passing through it's territory on the coastway line West from Brighton for example).  Picture old British Rail slam door stock with a Vickers K mounted on each door.  You'd need them mounted far enough inside the rolling stock that the barrels were not out of gauge.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

I had to check gmaps to discover WHAT Sompting is. Quite near to Goering-by-sea, BTW. It's a nest of new-age nazis?  :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Doug K

Quote from: zenrat on October 13, 2021, 03:00:57 AM
Quote from: Weaver on October 12, 2021, 04:27:20 PM

I was sure this was a joke the first time I saw it, but it's not a whiff...
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205473590

Lightly armoured gun-train carriages would be used against lightly armed guerrillas in the habit of taking potshots at passing supply trains (the Sompting People's Front harassing services passing through it's territory on the coastway line West from Brighton for example).  Picture old British Rail slam door stock with a Vickers K mounted on each door.  You'd need them mounted far enough inside the rolling stock that the barrels were not out of gauge.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Doug K on October 13, 2021, 10:55:52 AM

It sure was/is for real. That's the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Military Train, which they built in 1940 for obvious reasons. Even better than that, the RHDR built a replica of it a few years ago, and it still exists at their New Romney Station.

Oh yes, the RHDR is only 15" track gauge..................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 13, 2021, 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: Doug K on October 13, 2021, 10:55:52 AM

It sure was/is for real. That's the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Military Train, which they built in 1940 for obvious reasons. Even better than that, the RHDR built a replica of it a few years ago, and it still exists at their New Romney Station.

Oh yes, the RHDR is only 15" track gauge..................

I found a photo of the replica here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/20043638374/in/photostream/
This guy has plenty more shots of the RHDR that show how small the trains are and how empty the area is  ;D

Old Wombat

The perfect terrain for Fallschirmjäger to be dropped, so the perfect place for a light armoured train to tootle about taking potshots at them! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Well worth a ride on if you're in the area. It's a bit like being Gulliver when you first see the tracks, but you get used to it.  ;D

As you might gather I'm a fan of the place.....

Showing the scale of the locos etc.

Level crossings look silly, comparing the cars to the track.

The dummy Boyes anti-tank rifle on the armoured train replica.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Just think how difficult it would be to hit the train, too. Being so small, & the Fallschirmjägers & Stuka pilots being so used to full-size trains, they'd miss every time! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est