Alternate JASDF F-2

Started by Firefox, October 11, 2021, 01:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefox

Recently I just discovered that Northrop had a plan for Hornet 2000 and offered or tried to offered to Japan for their then upcoming F-2. That gives me an idea of this what-if. I have a 1/72 F/A-18 lying around and I took the wings from the Rafale of the similar scale. The canards are modified from the horizontal tail of the Hornets. The Hornet looks surprisingly good in delta wing setup.

Completed model in page 2

AndrewF

Dizzyfugu

Nice. I remember having seen a similar model, but it just had the original wings and stabilizers swapped.

This actually gave me now an idea for what to do with a bl00dy Revell Eurofighter two-seater which I have as a zombie kit somewhere in the pile.

Tophe

I love this dream, and making it plastic is a success! :thumbsup: :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

AeroplaneDriver

Yeah, that looks "right".   :thumbsup: :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Mossie

I've wondered about a delta Hornet, looks much better than I thought it would.  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

Rafale wings work well to make a lot of "deltas".  I did an F-16 with Rafale wings years ago.  All stashes need a few Rafale just for parts.

FAR148

I like it more without the canards. But its Your build.

Very Cool Sir!
Steven  :wub:

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: FAR148 on October 11, 2021, 04:00:46 PM

Very Cool Sir!

I'm not 100% on the canards.  Kinda think smaller ones ahead of the cockpit would look more natural.  Kinda like the Typhoon.

perttime

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on October 11, 2021, 08:06:05 PM
Quote from: FAR148 on October 11, 2021, 04:00:46 PM

Very Cool Sir!

I'm not 100% on the canards.  Kinda think smaller ones ahead of the cockpit would look more natural.  Kinda like the Typhoon.
I like the canard location. They do look pretty large, though. I wonder if there'd be any disadvantage to making the canards very slim.

comrade harps

Funny how adding delta wings to the rear of the fuselage makes a plane look shorter. Or is that just me?
Whatever.

Old Wombat

Got no issue with canards, got no issue without, BUT, given how close to the wings they are, I think the canards should be set higher, above the leading edge of the main wing, by quite a bit, really.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

In the whif world, aerodynamics may be just a source of inspiration, not a precise science, serious, oh no... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Firefox

made some good progress. I'm too lazy to make curvy camo :) About the canard, I thought of not putting the canard as I saw how good it looks without one, but I remember seeing the Hornet 2000 have the canards and they are rather big. So, I decided to be 'truthful' to the whiffy :D