Tutorial - How to insert/link images (from Imgur)

Started by Pellson, October 14, 2021, 05:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

On Steve McColms request: This is supposed to be a step by step tutorial in how to show pics of your favourite kit/pet/car/significant other in the forum threads. While I store my pics on Imgur, and I also show how to collect the image link from there, you should be aware that the parts in the forum will be similar regardless of where you store your pics. If you're not using imgur, find out how you copy the link from the source of your choice and scroll down to the big RED text in this post. Then go from there.

That said - here goes:

I have set myself up with an Imgur account. In my market, it's free of charge up to 1000 pics (I think) and that'll keep me covered for some time at least.
I use the Imgur app on my IPhone, having downloaded it from the AppStore. It's pretty self explanatory how to set it up and operate it.
Having opened the app, this is how it looks on my phone

I then go to my own account, pressing the icon in the bottom right corner. This is what my account looks like.

Now, I choose the album in which I've stored the pic I want. I this case, the Valiant K.1 tanker album. Having clicked on it, I can now see the pics stored in that album.

This time, I want to show the belly pic, no 3 from the top. Hence, I click on it, and it comes up.

Now I want the link to this pic. That's available if you click on the "share" icon below the pic, and that'll open a menu from the bottom of the screen, like this

Now, click on "copy link" - and your pic link is now saved!

Now go back to the forum. Open a "new thread" or "reply" dialogue box, and write what you want.

From here, these instructions apply to any image source, be it imgur or anything else

Choose where to place the image, set your text marker there, and click the "img" button, situated top left in the bottom field just above the smileys. It looks like a Mona Lisa painting, if you look at it closely.
Now you should get an image prompt sequence inserted in your text, looking like this:

Place your marker between the two bracketed
""img" and "/img", (where it is on the pic above here) and see if you get a black popup menu saying "select : mark all : paste" if not, just tap again on the screen, trying to place the marker as just described once again. Now you should get the black box.
I often have to zoom in a bit to hit properly, but then my fingers are a bit big at the ends. Or I can't aim properly.. ;)

Select "paste" and heureka - the link is now pasted into your text, between the brackets. Like this:

Now, depending on the size of the pic you've just linked, you might want to limit how large it'll appear here in the forum. That's not difficult, but it requires some typing.
Let's say I want to limit to a width of 600 pixels, which usually is a good size for somewhat older screens. Then I go in the first "img"-bracket, and just write "width =600" there, like this:

Be careful to have a space between "img" and "width" but none after "width".

Now choose "preview" below the text insert field (next to the "post button" and have a look. If you think the pic is too small, increase the value, to 800 or something, and if you think it's too big, decrease it.

That's it, really.

I will allow some comments to this, enabling you all to tip me off on improvements, but when I feel we're good, my suggestion would be to lock this thread and pin it somewhere we easily can find it. For future reference. I'll contact admin about that once we get there.

OK?
Onwards then!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

Thanks and this will work on a tablet,  as I don't have a PC or laptop?

Pellson

This should work on any device. Added to that, I would assume a tablet works very much like a phone, which is what I've used.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Thanks for this, it's always helpful to get as manty "how to's" as possible, especially when it comes to posting pictures  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

[imghttps://imgur.com/a/Pv5guyn][/img]
If this is correct you should be looking at a Airfix Fairey Rotodyne with additional parts .
It works!

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on October 15, 2021, 06:24:21 AM
[imghttps://imgur.com/a/Pv5guyn]http://[/img]
If this is correct you should be looking at a Airfix Fairey Rotodyne with additional parts .
It works!

Close but no cigar!!

you have your first ] in the wrong place. it should be after [img so that you do not have [imghttps

The img with [] either side of it tells the site that you are posting information about a picture. The https://imgur.com etc etc tells the site where the picture is located on the web and the[/img] tells the site that all the information about the picture is finished, go back to doing whatever it was you were doing, such as displaying text.

If you want to know if somethjing has worked or not, try the Preview button!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

img[]https://imgur.com/a/u1mOUGc[/img]
Still isn't right

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on October 15, 2021, 10:40:40 AM
Still isn't right

That's because you appear to be incapable or reading. Reread what I wrote! Try reading what I wrote carefully

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

McColm

Quote from: Gondor on October 15, 2021, 10:57:02 AM
Quote from: McColm on October 15, 2021, 10:40:40 AM
Still isn't right

That's because you appear to be incapable or reading. Reread what I wrote! Try reading what I wrote carefully

Gondor

I'm dyslexic so yes I am incapable of reading and comprehending the meaning of you have written. If you could just explain it in simpler terms so that other people who also suffer from dyslexia can understand without you losing your temper.
That's why I get my facts wrong on certain topics, it might have been a side effect from spending four days in an induced coma.

Gondor

Pellson did a really good job with his description of how to post an image.

You are manageing to get most of it correct.

The part you are haveing difficulty with is where to put the information about the picture.

THe picture below shows you how it should look, only the first part is wraper onto the following line because it is too big to be on the same line.

Quote from: Pellson on October 14, 2021, 05:34:23 AM

Part of the problem is showing you what it should look like by typeing it here because the web page thinks I am telling it to do something when I, or anyone else is only trying to show something.

When I say "The information about the image" thats the bit that starts http

I hope this makes it easier to get your head around.

Gondor

AndrewF

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on October 15, 2021, 11:20:56 AM

I'm dyslexic so yes I am incapable of reading and comprehending the meaning of you have written. If you could just explain it in simpler terms so that other people who also suffer from dyslexia can understand without you losing your temper.
That's why I get my facts wrong on certain topics, it might have been a side effect from spending four days in an induced coma.

I apologise McColm.

After playing around with links and attempting ways of getting this to work I can't manage to get the picture to show here.

I can get a link to a picture to show which when clicked on opens a page showing the picture.

More playing with this to see how Pellson does it.

Gondor

AndrewF

Hi Gondor, I don't think it's a problem with the process as Pellson has described - it's exactly what I do and the images display without any problems. I'm wondering if McColm has set some parameters in Imgur that prevent displaying the images here (as we can see the images in Imgur without any problems). Question to McColm: have you created an account in Imgur? And if so did you configure any privacy settings?

Gondor

I tried copying one of Pellson's posts into a reply so I could Preview the image. It didn't work  :banghead: :banghead:

No idea why at all. I'm stumped.

All I can sudgest for McColm to do is to post the links to his pictures, one per line is probably best, and we can then click on the links to see the results or untill someone better than I manages to work oout why we can't see the images.

Gondor

Gondor

GOT it !!!!!!!

When you select your image from all of the ones you have uploaded you should get something like the picture below.

Use the COPY button to the lower right of the GREEN text in the picture above then paste that in your post.

Admitidly I am useing the web page, however most tablets and smart phones do support web browsers so you can access the web page that way.

If nothing else, I now know it's not McColm's fault and I know how to post from imgur as well  :thumbsup:

Gondor