Vosper Hydrofoil MTB - 1/72

Started by buzzbomb, October 14, 2021, 02:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Just one more boring day in lockdown, (sung to the tune of "One more boring Thursday night in Adelaide" by Redgum.. ;) )

The Naval GB on BTS got me interested in some stash kits that are on theme

So now I am working on a Hydrofoil Vosper, latish WW2 timeline
The Vosper kit is showing its age and all, but really it is not that nice to build so far. See exhibit A with all the clamps. Also stripping card for the Hydrofoils

Shaping the airfoil section (seafoil ?? ) got to work with the basic fit out

Scratchbuilt 6 Pounder mount (which needs a slightly smaller diameter barrel) and a pre loved Oerlikon bandstand left over from the Fairmile D MTB build

I figured that I need to get the craft basically built and fully fitted before fitting the Hydrofoils. Of which there will be some cheating, as I plan to mount in a sea base to try and sell the idea more effectively

buzzbomb

So getting up to speed as to where we are at the moment.
Reasonably happy with the layout so far. The kit is pretty pedestrian by today's standards, however it did go together quite quickly for exactly that reason.
General Layout so far, still doing the umm and ahh on 4 vs 2 Torpedo tubes, so they have not been addressed yet to fix the seams and awful fit.
The real world late/post war Vospers with 6 Pounders dropped the tubes down to 2, but four looks hunkier, if very busy. I do have 2 x 21" tubes left over from the Fairmile build which might be an alternative option.
Ready ammo lockers still to be fitted as well

Ditched the Bandstand Oerlikon mount for the later and more efficient Powered mount. This is courtesy of Coastal Craft models and tricks out very nicely

More work on the 6 pounder mount, with Molin autoloader. A lot of the standard deck fittings were moved as the mount takes a bit of room, so shuffling of ventilators was required.

Nice shot of the old Sydney Harbour Hydrofoil Ferry. I reckon I will go for a layout like this. So next step, the hydrofoils.

PR19_Kit

How about using fully submerged foils like the USN Tucumcari? A simpler system to build than the more complex surface piercing foils used on the Rodriquez boats in your pic?

Aurora did quite a nice of the Tucumcari AGES ago, and I built one, very nicely moulded it was too.

This isn't mine, but it's the same kt. The foils folded up in the kit, like the real thing, sideways for the aft foils and upwards for the bow foil.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I remember that kit! It was a fun build.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Next step up from a Hydrofoil with folding foils is adding folding wings as well so it becomes a Hydrofoikranoplan...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on October 15, 2021, 05:20:25 AM
Next step up from a Hydrofoil with folding foils is adding folding wings as well so it becomes a Hydrofoikranoplan...

Certainly a concept of considerable whiffness.   I'd like to see that done ........but don't look at me,  I'll write a backstory if people wish, but I'm not up to that level of modelling.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

I forgot to say BB, excellent scratching as usual.
The Airfix MTB is a bit long on the tooth.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Initial release was in 1972 ... I was 10, & I think I bought & built my first when I was 12 ... So, coming up on 50 years old. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Bit of tinkering with the Hydrofoil setup. Not too fussed about the engineering as I plan to put the vessel on a sea base to get the idea across.
I figured that although there are later setups, like the T Shape, this is a bit more old school and maybe more contemporary of the period

63cpe

Woow, that looking good man! Great plan to put hydrofoils on a vosper.

David aka 63cpe

Rick Lowe

Liking how this is coming along.

Had you thought of using the Airfix 6-Pounder for basing the gun around?

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 16, 2021, 09:20:14 AM
Initial release was in 1972 ... I was 10,

Mere child, I was courting  :angel:

Coming along nicely  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 17, 2021, 02:11:03 AM

I was testing tilting trains, or trying to anyway, when the unions let us......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 17, 2021, 02:40:17 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 17, 2021, 02:11:03 AM

I was testing tilting trains, or trying to anyway, when the unions let us......

I was burning the midnight oil in Lancaster, trying to get essays in on time................
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

buzzbomb

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 17, 2021, 01:03:05 AM
Had you thought of using the Airfix 6-Pounder for basing the gun around?
Sure did, but did not have one on hand. I got rid of all my 72/76 Scale wargames stuff.
Certainly was not going to buy one just for this. ;D