The EE Flattening

Started by PR19_Kit, October 22, 2021, 08:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Might do, the landing gear's not sorted yet.

I'll have to wait till I start chopping plastic I think.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 22, 2021, 07:03:20 PM
SARO take on a similar notion, all designs done under the blanket P.149 project number.

There was a similar Bristol project too, I can't upload pics though. Type 177A & B.  A was an over and under type with mid wing, B was side by side with high wing.  Both had two Bristol BE.10s, clipped delta, t-tail and fuselage landing gear. Both were mingin'. ;)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 22, 2021, 08:13:53 AM
This train of thought produced the idea of a flat Lightning, with the engines side by side and with all appropriate changes made to the airframe.

I considered something like that a while ago, too, but rejected it because the fuselage would have needed a full replacement. Thought about a Su-15 (PM Model, cheap victim  ;)), but then the integration of the slender Lightning nose into the wide and boxy rest caused too many headaches.  :rolleyes:

Curious what might develop here.  :mellow:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on October 24, 2021, 09:36:46 AM

There was a similar Bristol project too, I can't upload pics though. Type 177A & B.  A was an over and under type with mid wing, B was side by side with high wing.  Both had two Bristol BE.10s, clipped delta, t-tail and fuselage landing gear. Both were mingin'. ;)

I couldn't even find ANY pics of the 177A or B.  :banghead:

Loads of pics of Heinkel 177s, but hardly what I was looking for..... :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2021, 10:15:48 AM

BLECH! What an ugly sight to have foisted upon you. My condolences.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

The sea-based Lightning had side-by-side engines of course.   ;)

I split and grafted another donor lightning onto the sides to give the side-by-side engines.  Turned the tailpipe sideways.

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

That'd be the Slightening then?  ;D ;)

I like that a lot, and some of your ideas would help doing mine too.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Just a thought about the 'Belly' Tank;
how about using two, smaller but similar in shape to the original belly tank and fitting them much like
they were fitted to the Javelin? presuming of course that the 'Flattning's Fuselage is wide/flat enough.
It would look like a typical British fighter of the fifties/sixties: after designing it for more speed, they realised that they would need more fuel :rolleyes:
cue odd shaped tanks tacked onto the bottom of the fuselage....
I think they'd almost invented conformal tanks but just couldn't get that last bit to fit correctly ;)
**I quite like the idea of a Flattening GB too <_<

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2021, 10:15:48 AM
Quote from: Mossie on October 24, 2021, 09:36:46 AM

I couldn't even find ANY pics of the 177A or B.  :banghead:

Kit, if you have BSP, Jet Fighters since 1950 (first addition), have a look at page 164. There's a 3-View of both the Bristol 177A and 177B. They're just as ugly ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Another similar type, Supermarine Type 543 undercarriageless flexible deck fighter.  This one had two Bristol BE.15's, but Avons or Sapphires were an option:
http://alternathistory.com/proekt-palubnogo-istrebitelya-supermarine-type-543-velikobritaniya/

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

I once thought about a Mega-Lightning; two fuselages joined at the sides to create a 4-engined monster. It would probably run out of fuel before reaching the runway!  ;D ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 24, 2021, 06:40:27 AM
Are you going to use the tank as an u/c bay then Kit ?

That would work.
Are you going to keep the cheek-mounted weapons as well as 4X wing-mounted ones?

PR19_Kit

Questions, questions.............

I don't know, I only just thought the thing up the other day!  :o

I'll do some plastic carving when I get home on Wednesday and see what works, and what doesn't.

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Fair enough, we can wait...  :thumbsup:

"Are we there yet?"
"No"
"Are we there yet?"
"No!"
"Are we there yet?"
"NO!"

;D ;D

scooter

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 24, 2021, 05:17:06 PM
Fair enough, we can wait...  :thumbsup:

"Are we there yet?"
"No"
"Are we there yet?"
"No!"
"Are we there yet?"
"NO!"

;D ;D

Don't make me turn this thread around!
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng