Space Shuttle and related concepts

Started by Weaver, October 26, 2021, 05:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

As far as I can see, there isn't a dedicated thread for the Space Shuttle, so here goes...
(Mods: if I'm being dumb, please merge the threads - thanks)

Here's some concept art for fully reusable flyback shuttle boosters (i.e. the original concept, before the cost-cutting started) as developed by Convair. These things would have been truly massive, with around a dozen RS-25 Space Shuttle Main Engines and the LH2 and LOX tankage to supply them, as well as turbofans and their fuel to support flyback to base from a long way downrange.

The paintings are by the late Roy Gjertson, and come from an article about him on the 'Numbers Station' blog, which looks like it might be a good resource in general. Lots more gorgeous pics in the article.

Numbers Station blog post: https://e05.code.blog/2021/10/26/artist-profile-roy-gjertson/

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

How would the big turbo-fan pods handle the drag at the Max Q point during launch? The pylons and cowlings would have to be pretty strong I'd have thought.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2021, 09:03:41 AM
How would the big turbo-fan pods handle the drag at the Max Q point during launch? The pylons and cowlings would have to be pretty strong I'd have thought.

A lot of concepts like this have retractable engines, but I must admit, these don't look retractable. Maybe the pods have jettisonable nose and tail cones to clean them up before they're needed?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I like the idea of the nose and tail cones, yes.  :thumbsup:

Just noticed the 'mobile lounge' approaching the Shuttle in the second pic. Like Washington Dulles International, but with more distant destinations..... ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

What were they thinking of doing with such a gigantic vehicle? Launch half a dozen Hubbles at a time?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise