a7v tank in WWII

Started by Jesse220, October 26, 2021, 10:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse220

I've been thinking about the German a7v tank that  served in World War I, and I'm thinking. What if that tank continued service in Hitler's 3rd Reich during World War II with upgrades? Any thoughts?

Dizzyfugu

For what? Roadblock? Practice target?  :unsure:

kerick

There's always rear area security?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Nick

Drag it out of a museum or barn for use against the T-34s advancing from Russia. Berlin fixed point defence buried in the rubble?
Life expectancy of 1 hour max!

loupgarou

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2021, 09:12:32 AM
Drag it out of a museum or barn for use against the T-34s advancing from Russia. Berlin fixed point defence buried in the rubble?

From some photos, it seems germans did just that with at least one british WW1 tank. No chances of using an A7V, only original remaining one had been grabbed by the aussies.  ;D
Still there downunder....
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Jesse220

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 26, 2021, 11:23:20 PM

Roadblock, maybe. But I was thinking it would be used for combat by the Nazis, with heavier fire power.

scooter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 26, 2021, 11:23:20 PM

Dueling with a TOG 2*?  :wacko: :wacko:  :wacko: :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

Quote from: loupgarou on October 27, 2021, 10:54:21 AM

From some photos, it seems germans did just that with at least one british WW1 tank. No chances of using an A7V, only original remaining one had been grabbed by the aussies.  ;D

I've just googled it and... German forces (Volksturm?) used at least one ex-British Mk5 tank in the defence of Berlin. These came from Russia where they'd been stored after their Civil War.
https://www.quora.com/Were-any-WW1-tanks-brought-out-in-WW2

As it happens, the Royal Navy used one for the defence of Portsmouth. Mark Felton reports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwDKrtGyP4

Jesse220

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2021, 11:31:58 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on October 27, 2021, 10:54:21 AM

I've just googled it and... German forces (Volksturm?) used at least one ex-British Mk5 tank in the defence of Berlin. These came from Russia where they'd been stored after their Civil War.
https://www.quora.com/Were-any-WW1-tanks-brought-out-in-WW2

As it happens, the Royal Navy used one for the defence of Portsmouth. Mark Felton reports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwDKrtGyP4

Wow, interesting.

tahsin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendeleev_Tank

Here's what you should be thinking, after the laughter dies. Chugg it in on the railroad, move a little on King's Tiger tracks you will give to it,  make it kneel as its Russian granddady, have your ammunition schlepper bring your extra applique armour from the train, get your frontal thickness to some 300 millimeters, have a couple of Jagdtigers to have your back and a few Me-262 squadrons for top cover and you are set to go. Blockhouse will not be so funny, or weird after that.

Jesse220

Quote from: tahsin on October 27, 2021, 12:12:42 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendeleev_Tank

Here's what you should be thinking, after the laughter dies. Chugg it in on the railroad, move a little on King's Tiger tracks you will give to it,  make it kneel as its Russian granddady, have your ammunition schlepper bring your extra applique armour from the train, get your frontal thickness to some 300 millimeters, have a couple of Jagdtigers to have your back and a few Me-262 squadrons for top cover and you are set to go. Blockhouse will not be so funny, or weird after that.

That's a shame, it never got a chnace.

Jesse220

So anyways, if the a7v did continue in war services, It would halve been captured by the US Army, and the Soviet Army. Also, I'm thinking it would be equipped with an ax similar to Maurice's machine from Beauty and the Beast, but with either buzzsaws or Chainsaws to slaughter troops on the field, and also equipped with a flamethrower.

tahsin

Do not fear the establishment! Unintentional or not, this discussion HAS solved the mystery of the Ratte, that 1500 ton thing. Adolf Hitler really took pride in his tech savviness until it was brought down by that grotesk love of the gigantism. While ordinary for dictators it still needs an explanation of how supposedly smart Germans developed a fascination for extremely BIG!!! Dora is at least explainable by the Maginot line, a 80cm cannon that follows the Big Berthas of WW l fame. What's the point of a 28cm turret on tracks? If an assault gun, a single cannon would do. Yet the Germans tried to fit a triple turret (reportedly) because there would be spares after the Scharnost class were upgraded to a 38cm battery. And could not and would have to design a twin. To what end? Would have done okay in Turkish hands, to defend the straits, in 1915, before the invention of bombers. Part of the Atlantic Wall in 1944? Utterly pointless... Not only Allied battleships would bring more ships to a duel, if the choice was not avoiding it all together, but they would have far more turrets, fielding far bigger guns. But if you were to follow any of those wikipedia articles, you would see the Russians of the WW l era thought that their super heavy could only be engaged by warships... Gotta imagine one stronghold, the fall of which would shake the Asian barbarian hordes to their core and end the war and secure the Lebensraum; after Barbarossa failed in its early aims. Ratte is a tank, contrary to latest feelings of logical experts, a land battleship to take out Mendeleevs German/Nazi intelligence believed to exist. In this [no doubt imaginary] case none of the "realities" about Ratte's vulnerabilities would matter for that final fight.

Dizzyfugu

Hmm, I like the idea of putting an A7V on railroad tracks, though. Would certainly improve mobility, but I am not certain which mission this thing could fulfill?