a7v tank in WWII

Started by Jesse220, October 26, 2021, 10:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Anti-partisan patrols along railway lines? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 28, 2021, 11:49:49 PM

My thoughts as well. Certainly enough room for a lot of m.g.'s

Another thought would be Airfield Defence ? Could be used to defend them against glider/paratrooper attack ? At least they'd be a bit better suited to getting around on an airfield given it's reasonably flat.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Jesse220

Quote from: tahsin on October 28, 2021, 10:53:34 PM
Do not fear the establishment! Unintentional or not, this discussion HAS solved the mystery of the Ratte, that 1500 ton thing. Adolf Hitler really took pride in his tech savviness until it was brought down by that grotesk love of the gigantism. While ordinary for dictators it still needs an explanation of how supposedly smart Germans developed a fascination for extremely BIG!!! Dora is at least explainable by the Maginot line, a 80cm cannon that follows the Big Berthas of WW l fame. What's the point of a 28cm turret on tracks? If an assault gun, a single cannon would do. Yet the Germans tried to fit a triple turret (reportedly) because there would be spares after the Scharnost class were upgraded to a 38cm battery. And could not and would have to design a twin. To what end? Would have done okay in Turkish hands, to defend the straits, in 1915, before the invention of bombers. Part of the Atlantic Wall in 1944? Utterly pointless... Not only Allied battleships would bring more ships to a duel, if the choice was not avoiding it all together, but they would have far more turrets, fielding far bigger guns. But if you were to follow any of those wikipedia articles, you would see the Russians of the WW l era thought that their super heavy could only be engaged by warships... Gotta imagine one stronghold, the fall of which would shake the Asian barbarian hordes to their core and end the war and secure the Lebensraum; after Barbarossa failed in its early aims. Ratte is a tank, contrary to latest feelings of logical experts, a land battleship to take out Mendeleevs German/Nazi intelligence believed to exist. In this [no doubt imaginary] case none of the "realities" about Ratte's vulnerabilities would matter for that final fight.

Interesting Idea

Joe C-P

One forgotten in a storage shed on a military base, new engine and MGs, could be a town's defense late in the war.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Mossie

There were at least two built post war and used by the Freikorps. They were built on Ɯberlandwagen chassis and were different to the usual A7V with MG turrets on each corner.  One was known as Heidi.

The rest are all (probably) accounted for but not much is known about the Heidi type, so a few could end up in a shed somewhere and be dusted off when things start going Pete Tong in '45.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: Jesse220 on October 28, 2021, 09:13:28 PM
So anyways, if the a7v did continue in war services, It would halve been captured by the US Army, and the Soviet Army. Also, I'm thinking it would be equipped with an ax similar to Maurice's machine from Beauty and the Beast, but with either buzzsaws or Chainsaws to slaughter troops on the field, and also equipped with a flamethrower.

If you're going 'punk:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 28, 2021, 11:49:49 PM

They did that with purpose built panzer draisines.

But there is this.  ;)

tahsin

When l was a kid, l didn't have 1% of the books l imagined l should. Meaning l would check every page of every book every month. And in one of them there was this thing. I thought it was a Tiger but it is also possible l had developed the Allied trooper sickness of WW ll 40 years late, seeing Tigers everywhere. So, it is indeed possible that it was a lV with the long barrel 75mm gun. Placed in the middle of that flat railcar as above but no tracks of its own. No doubt driven by its own engine, free to patrol the lines on its own or moving before or after a train to provide fire support. The book had those draizine things as well, but as just armoured boxes with machine guns sticking from 4 corners...

The question of punk was not fully developed. To avoid an attack on the sensibilities... While it is fully proper not to believe, the target set for the Ratte would have to be very specific to justify the effort, something on the scale of lndiana Jones. Perhaps the portal to Underworld, capture of which would lead us to Hydra of Marvel Universe or Wolfestein series of games. German soldiers, once dead, would take a lot of killing! Yes, exactly, a narrow pass, beyond the capabilities of the Ratte, where chainsaws could cover the battlezone. Despite the Nazi feeling that employing TROLLs would have been more proper. The question of which was a real life concern on the basis of if there were fools to believe, it was a legitimite ruse of war. With a cast of developers and characters that might surprise a few.

tahsin

Another pointless post. Except l would like to say that l have discovered they are indeed IVs and apparently called Panzerjagerwagons... and as a link dump so that l can save them later at a better situation. Either could possibly go to "whiffs" you have found

https://www.behance.net/gallery/110968945/Heavy-Armored-Wheeled-Universal-Platform

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/pick-holes-in-vehicles-here-be-shot-traps.271956/page-101 for the flying jeep.

Jesse220

Quote from: Mossie on October 29, 2021, 03:03:42 PM
So anyways, if the a7v did continue in war services, It would halve been captured by the US Army, and the Soviet Army. Also, I'm thinking it would be equipped with an ax similar to Maurice's machine from Beauty and the Beast, but with either buzzsaws or Chainsaws to slaughter troops on the field, and also equipped with a flamethrower.

If you're going 'punk:

Oh baby!

Mossie

I'm pretty sure that ILM based the body of the AT-AT on the A7V. I forget were they got the legs from, but JCF can tell you.

ChernayaAkula

Mate, have Games Workshop got a game for you. :thumbsup: Warhammer 40k has everything you want and more. Much more.....

The Imperium's main tank, the Leman Russ, is basically what you describe. Just with a Mk. V as a basis instead of an A7V.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Jesse220

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 30, 2021, 03:07:55 PM

Mate, have Games Workshop got a game for you. :thumbsup: Warhammer 40k has everything you want and more. Much more.....

The Imperium's main tank, the Leman Russ, is basically what you describe. Just with a Mk. V as a basis instead of an A7V.

Very interesting.

Rheged

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 30, 2021, 03:07:55 PM

The Imperium's main tank, the Leman Russ, is basically what you describe.

I'm sure there is a recipe for LEMAN RUSS  in one of the Jamie Oliver cook books.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on October 30, 2021, 12:24:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that ILM based the body of the AT-AT on the A7V. I forget were they got the legs from, but JCF can tell you.

From a 1960s Syd Mead painting for US Steel of an walking supply vehicle. Joe Johnston
explicitly credits Mead.

http://cyberneticzoo.com/walking-machines/1970-walking-cargo-vehicle-syd-mead-american/

https://kitbashed.com/blog/giant-walking-machines

A Flickr gallery of the US Steel - Portfolio of Possibilities in which the snow walkers first appeared:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/40547462@N00/sets/72157621237512593/