Main Menu

Voodoo F.1

Started by Devilfish, October 28, 2021, 03:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

With the release of the 1957 White Paper banning all future aircraft production, the RAF were left with a few squadrons of Lightning to defend the coastline from marauding Soviet bombers.  Slowly the intruders got bolder and bolder, knowing that the Lightnings only had a very limited endurance.  After a very close call where a Bear flew literally over the coast of Scotland, it was decided that a longer range, and heavier armed interceptor was needed.  The Treasury didn't want to back down and spend money though, and as no British designs were even on the drawing board, the RAF turned to the USA.

The US offered a batch of 8 second hand F-101Bs, for a reasonable price. 

These aircraft were modified with Martin Baker seats, a nose mounted IFR probe, and some UK sourced avionics.  Because the Red Top would not fit inside the rotating weapons bay, this was modified to carry only a pair of Genie nuclear unguided missiles. Pylons were fitted to the wings for Red Top missiles.  The normal compliment being one IR and one radar guided.

111 Sqn became the sole operator of the Voodoo F.1, and flew them into the mid 1970's until they were replaced with a home grown design.

Kit is the Monogram 1/48 F-101B Voodoo.
Annoyingly, the weapons bay worked perfectly until the Genies were added. They then fouled the edge, stopping it from rotating fully....

20211026_212658 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211026_212702 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211026_212716 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211026_212736 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211026_212745 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

kitbasher

:thumbsup:

You can never have too many two-seat Voodoos.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

AeroplaneDriver

Oh man, that's gorgeous!   :wub: :wub: :wub:

Always loved the Voodoo.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Old Wombat

Voodoo looks good in those colours & you've done a great job of the build! :thumbsup:

Maybe remove the Genies & "trim" them down a bit with some careful sanding? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Quote from: kitbasher on October 28, 2021, 04:27:43 AM

2nd that, and this one is beautiful! That IFR probe really makes things much more interesting.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

I could see that happening too, such was the mind set of the times.

Cracking model!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That's come out really well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Phwoar! That looks the part.  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Nice one ! She sure does look right at home in those colours.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AndrewF

The Rat

You dood that Voodoo that you dood so well!  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

Funny thing..the Voodoo looks far better in RAF colours than in any other cammo tjat ive seen and this one is surpurb.
Absolutely wonderful build  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

Nice. A friend of mine did a Luftwaffe Voodoo (same kit) in the Phantons' Norm '72 splinter scheme, with similar colors. This works suprisingly well on the big bird.

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on October 28, 2021, 04:33:43 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on October 28, 2021, 04:27:43 AM

2nd that, and this one is beautiful! That IFR probe really makes things much more interesting.  :thumbsup:

Single seaters (F's, not RF's) look better IMO.  This is an excellent build though, albeit in the wrong scale.    ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..