USN McDonnell-Westland A2H-1 Wyvern-COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, November 01, 2021, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepsi Concorde

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 03, 2021, 11:09:58 PM
Quick update. Starting to feel quite good about how it's looking. 

Some of you may know that I am not a patient builder. More manic really. Once I start a kit and get into it I want to see it on the shelf ASAP. So since the Skyraider decals I ordered won't arrive until next week I raided the spares/aftermarket box and decided that this A2H will be flying with VA-146, the "Blue Diamonds".  In my timeline they operate the Wyvern before the Skyhawk instead of the Fury.

Not usually a fan of the Wyvern, but this looks great!

Pepsi Concorde

AeroplaneDriver

Well, she's done. First model finished in quite a few months.  Pics tomorrow, but I'm quite happy with it for a 6-day build. 

Watch out Charlie!  The Dragon is inbound! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

Looking really good, I love that scheme, which is why I used it on my Aussie Vietnam version a few years ago. Great job.

AeroplaneDriver

A combination of fatigue cracking across the A1D Skyraider fleet and delays in the A4D program left the US Navy in need of an interim carrier-based attack aircraft in the mid 1950s.  A high ranking office in the procurement chain had flown an exchange tour with the Royal Navy several years earlier and had flown the Westland Wyvern.  While the aircraft had its problems he felt that it could be developed into a capable platform with a few changes.  His influence led to McDonnell Aircraft Company approaching Westland to propose a joint development of the Wyvern for the US Navy.

Westland leapt at the chance to supply the US Navy, and thanks the the magic of the Pentagon budget the McDonnell-Westland A2H-1 made its maiden flight in June 1956.  Changes to the S.4 included a strengthened wing with six hardpoints, increased engine power giving a maximum speed of 350kts, an increase of 20kts over the S.4.  A more comprehensive US avionics suite was also fitted, and the S.4'c cameras were also removed, making way for an additional fuselage fuel tank. 

The new weapons stations were capable of carrying 1000lb on the four inboard stations and 500lb on the two outer pylons. Combined with the centerline pylon this gave the A2H a potential bomb load of 5,000lb, though in practice it was standard to carry a fuel tank on the centerline.   

The US Navy ordered 220 Wyverns, with the type entering service in early 1957, the same year the Royal Navy began phasing hte type out.   There was much speculation of secret handshakes and political dealings leading to the Royal Navy ordering the A-4 Skyhawk in 1959 as a Quid Pro Quo for the Wyvern order.

The Wyvern served with the US Navy until 1971.  Though the delays to the Skyhawk were resolved and the Wyvern was replaced in the primary ground attack role by the A-4 by 1959, the type lived on in the CAS role and saw extensive combat in this role in Vietnam. 

This model depicts an A2H-1 (redesignated A-7A in 1962) in the colors of VA-146, "The Blue Diamonds" in 1964 when it was flying from the USS Ticonderoga in the Vietnam Theater.  It carries a common CAS load of two BLU-1 Napalm tanks, two LAU-3 19-round rocket launchers, and two Mk82 Snakeye bombs. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

Vereeeey nice.  :wub:

That scheme works well on that kit  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

Ive always loved weird aircraft and the Wyvern is one of those.
Quoting Gondor...vvvvvveeeerrŕyyy nice job mate..i freaking like this   :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

comrade harps

Snazzy! :wub:

This has me suddenly pondering a turboprop Skyraider (as opposed to an A2D Skyshark).
Whatever.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

MiB

thumbnail by ilmib, su Flickr

thank you for your inspiration!!!! :wub: :thumbsup:
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

PR19_Kit

If ever there was an aeroplane dominated by its prop, the Wyvern is IT!  :o

That looks terrific in that scheme, it really suits it, and all the red bits just scream USN or USMC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Stunning build of one of my favourite aircraft  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.