ST. Chamond Tank in WWII

Started by Jesse220, November 04, 2021, 06:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse220

I'm still thinking the German AV7 tank would serve in WWII, and now I'm thinking the French ST. Chamond Tank could continue in service during WWII with upgrades such as heavy armor, Tank Turrets, Ect. What do you say to that?

kerick

Interesting but by the time you add more armor, heavier gun and space to store the bigger ammo rounds you would need bigger tracks and a bigger engine to get it to move at a decent pace. So pretty much a new tank. In whiff world maybe but RW I'm afraid not much chance. If you had a mission for a really light tank you might get away with it but I don't know what that would be. Rear area security? Heavy duty police force?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Jesse220

Quote from: kerick on November 04, 2021, 07:34:56 PM
Interesting but by the time you add more armor, heavier gun and space to store the bigger ammo rounds you would need bigger tracks and a bigger engine to get it to move at a decent pace. So pretty much a new tank. In whiff world maybe but RW I'm afraid not much chance. If you had a mission for a really light tank you might get away with it but I don't know what that would be. Rear area security? Heavy duty police force?

Yeah, bigger tracks, and engine too. You've made your point, but it could be upgraded, or developed into a Heavy tank and fight in the Second World War. Rear area security, and Heavy duty police force would not do. If that tank continued to fight in a war, it would be captured by Hiter's Men and Soviet Men.

loupgarou

St  Chamond was  a bad tank in WW1, hard to see what use it could have later.
With short tracks, very nose heavy and propensity to plow the ground with its gun at every ditch or trench, gun with very limited traverse, high flat sides, it would simply be an embarassment  to any army so unfortunate to have it in WW2.
With new tracks, engine, armour and maybe a turret armament, don't you  think that you simply have another tank?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Leading Observer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jkYUUGK09I&t=4sMaybe as a semi-mobile pill box, supported by a lot of Infantry. But I imagine one well placed bomb/morter/bazooka would make very short work of it
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

kerick

The one clever thing about it was the gas engine driving a generator to power two electric motors, one for each track. Seems it was the one part that worked decently. Take that tech and apply it to something more modern.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

Quote from: kerick on November 05, 2021, 04:06:04 AM
The one clever thing about it was the gas engine driving a generator to power two electric motors, one for each track. Seems it was the one part that worked decently. Take that tech and apply it to something more modern.

The chassis was put to work as an SPG and was well regarded by WWI/1920's standards. It saw some use in WWII but was generally too slow to keep up with the pace.

We need to get into the realms of fantasy again and I thinks legs are a good start once more.  It's quite bestial looking to start with with a head, body and even a short abdomen.  Articulate the head and give it some legs, four, six, eight or even centipede style.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

Did I see a kit of this beast somewhere?
Tophe the Wise

Joe C-P

How about some interim period, perhaps in the Spanish Civil War, or some skirmish in one the French overseas departments?  Older vehicle still needed to allow new vehicles to guard the home land.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

tahsin

and

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2BWrw

are two of what l have come up during a random search...

Will the moderators please fit the walker into a more sensible size? I just re-discovered to properly post a picture, fixing image sizes would be far beyond me.

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on November 05, 2021, 09:47:37 AM

I believe that Hobbyboss do a 1/35 kit.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Quote from: kerick on November 05, 2021, 04:06:04 AM

The Porsche Tiger and the Ferdinand/Elefant tank destroyer developed from it had a petrol-electric
drive.

Jesse220

Quote from: tahsin on November 05, 2021, 01:12:41 PM

and

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2BWrw

are two of what l have come up during a random search...

Will the moderators please fit the walker into a more sensible size? I just re-discovered to properly post a picture, fixing image sizes would be far beyond me.

Yeah that's a nice design, that would be something for Star Wars.

jcf

Quote from: Rheged on November 05, 2021, 01:18:56 PM
Quote from: kerick on November 05, 2021, 09:47:37 AM

I believe that Hobbyboss do a 1/35 kit.

Hobbyboss and Takom, the latter do early and late versions.