AH-56C Cheyenne

Started by Gondor, November 06, 2021, 07:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Only little bits and pieces to show but some parts have been glued together so here are some pictures of where the fuselage is now

Rear cockpit inside fuselage

Front cockpit

and the parts posed together, lots more work to get done before the parts are glued together.

Next step is the get the kit's canopy to fit over the rear cockpit combing, then I can see about what I need to add/remove to get the front cockpit to fit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Yay.... progress

Managed to get the canopy onto the "new" cockpit interior. Nothing a bit of filing couldn't sort thankfully.

The nose will take a bit more work though

but I have a plan to sort things out which also involves a lot of filler once I get the majority of the holes citted with parts I cut off earlier  :banghead:

Talking about cutting bits off  :unsure:

There will be a gun turret under the fuselage, the original had the turret but no armament so I am correcting that

The above two pictures show part of the structure to hold everything in place. I had been wondering how to get this built and only a few minutes before I took the pictures I came up with the solution which was simple and hopefully effective. Tomorrow I will add some superglue to the joints just to make sure.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

buzzbomb

Any progress is progress.

coming together though.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Managed to get the basics finished on the nose/Front Cockpit area.

The underside showing the mounting for the gun turret

Still a lot of work to do but its getting there. The idea of the slightly complicated mounting for the gun turret is to allow the turret to rotate. There is movement but I think one of the pieces of plastic card should have been a few thou thinner.  :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor

And it's now in place...

Not 100% where I wanted it to be, it's a little further forward than I would have liked but I can go with it because it looks right to my eye and fits better.

Gondor

Dizzyfugu

Nice!  :thumbsup: That looks fiddly, though.  :unsure:

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 12, 2021, 11:56:00 PM
Nice!  :thumbsup: That looks fiddly, though.  :unsure:

Oh it is. It's not just a case of gap filling, it's the front cockpit side walls as well, add in fairing the front of the canopy to the new forward fuselage and its lots of fun, not....

Gondor

Gondor

A small update

The turret is only held in place by friction but it give the idea of what it will be like.

Gondor

Gondor

It's getting there.....

Groundwork for the filler is close to if not complete so the PSR on the nose starts this weekend!

Gondor

Old Wombat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 18, 2021, 01:34:55 AM
OMG...

Yes, looks a bit of a dog's breakfast right now, but nothing a bit of good, old fashioned PSR won't fix! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Now it's all green  :unsure:

It's not The HULK... it's the nose....

Took some time to get it like this as I had to soften the filler because I don't get this far very often with my builds, they normally stall by this time.

Sanding tomorrow as that gives the filler plenty of time to dry, especially as I added lots of Liquid Poly to soften it up.

Gondor

Gondor

A little further with the build. It's starting to look a little like an aircraft  ;D

Gondor

Gondor

The PSR continues... second coat of filler

The PSR is actually fairly easy for this part, the main difficulty is building up the contour in front of the windscreen. The engine area I am thinking will be a pain as I am having to combine parts from several kits to get what I want look wise.

Gondor