A two-fer (finished pics p6)

Started by Caveman, November 07, 2021, 12:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

Thanks very much for the offer. I'm not totally out of options yet. I'm going to have a go at moulding a replacement using what I have as a former.

I may come back to you though! Also quite tempted by the F-38 that The Rat posted in the "whiffs found on Facebook"
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=37210.3045. And that would need a different canopy.
secretprojects forum migrant

Wardukw

With all this yapping about the P38 i have now been bitten by the P38 bug so next week im buying 2 of em..now ive finally found a shop here which has them and i cant wait  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Caveman

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 07, 2021, 11:01:10 AM
With all this yapping about the P38 i have now been bitten by the P38 bug so next week im buying 2 of em..now ive finally found a shop here which has them and i cant wait  ;D

Excellent! What are you going to do with them?

Wardukw

Caveman mate i am going to build one OTB ,,thats cause i do love the P38 and it deserves to be built as its meant to be ,,but because we live in wiffy world do not quote me on that for a second  :wacko:
Number two tho ,,well im not going to go into to much detail but the only part of that im going to use it the cockpit and the small section of wing connected to it and the tail plane ,,the rest goes into the bits pile ,,,which will help out a lot as my aircraft bits pile is ,,well pretty much nonexistent..hell Guy is sending me a pile of US 48th decals cause he'll never use them and i will bigtime  ;D
On the 15th of this month Auckland city opens its doors and ill see my family again for the first time in 120 days and while im there im going to this online seller we have here in NZ called Mighty Ape and im buying planes and a tank ..getting a A7 Corsair in 48th,,a 35th UH1 and a 35th AH1Z and a Mig 23 in 48th and number 5 is a 35th Mklll Merkava .
The next day im off to Hamilton city to get the two P38s ,,but are Academy models as the Tamiya one is far to expensive ..these two will be nearly $100NZ where as the Tamiya one is $120NZ up ,,so yeah no .
I also need to get 2 P47Ns too in 48th and those are proving to me annoying to find as the razor back is not right for my needs .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Caveman

I know what you mean. I feel like I should do a RW P-38. They just look so good!

Wardukw

To be honest mate i dont really know why but i love single seat twin engined fighters ,,,i do pretty much like all military twin engined aircraft but theres the odd one which rocks ya world so to speck,,this is one of those craft .

Rick Lowe

The Hobby Boss P-38s are nice, too - though I haven't seen one out here for a while - and with the parts breakdown, completely avoids the need to hold everything (including your breath) while getting everything aligned.

Though I have read the Academy fits very well and is almost as easy to align. And also, as that's available, it's an easier bet...  ;D

The asymmetric build is interesting.

NARSES2

Quote from: Caveman on December 07, 2021, 07:20:44 AM
Thanks very much for the offer. I'm not totally out of options yet. I'm going to have a go at moulding a replacement using what I have as a former.

No probs, but if you need them  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Rick i agree..the hobby boss P38s are rather nice but same as you i havent seen any here and when i did they were bloody near as expensive as the Tamiya ones..well $40 less but that still made em $75+  each..the Academy ones are 50 notes each..so yep that's where im going  ;D

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 08, 2021, 01:25:50 PM
Rick i agree..the hobby boss P38s are rather nice but same as you i havent seen any here and when i did they were bloody near as expensive as the Tamiya ones..well $40 less but that still made em $75+  each..the Academy ones are 50 notes each..so yep that's where im going  ;D

Yikes! I guess I got a couple of real bargains then!
But then it was a couple of years ago, too...

And to think I stopped buying Tamiya/Hasegawa when they were $20+ for a single-engined 1/72 fighter and $50+ for a twin... "That's way too expensive for me!"
Now? Fuhgeddaboudit!  :o

Wardukw

Oh mate i could freakin scare nine colours of crap out of ya here with the prices we have to deal with..i saw a model today online of a Italeri M1 155mm towed gun..its from a hobby shop here and this kit is ancient and i mean ancient..i had several of them cause they were big guns and i like those and they cost like $15 each..now ..hope your sitting down..$79.90 now..huh???..this is like highway robbery and the hobby boss kit is ten times better and cheaper..the worlds gone completely up crap creek and all the paddles are broken mate.

Caveman

Still working on trying to get a good mould of the canopy. In the meantime the rest of the construction has gone together pretty smoothly. I'm happy with the surface finish now. So on with the painting.

Caveman

She's got stripes - although I am not loving the overall look anymore.

Maybe its a bit too fussy now? Camouflage doing its job and breaking up the outline. Ill persevere and see what happens when it gets roundels etc. My attempts at mash forming the canopy did not go so well. I have tried to sand away the pain on the inside of the canopy (carefully) and am waiting for a delivery of pledge to see if I can recover it. Otherwise Ill either being relying on the kindness of strangers or ill bite the bullet and just paint over the canopy.

Wardukw

Oh shes comin along sweet mate..the canopy problem can be fixed ..im pretty sure theres sets out there just for super fine sanding amd hell i know tooth paste works as a polishing compond and if none of that works..the kindness of strangers matey  ;D
Dont paint the canopy..it will make your very cool plane look like crap ..hell tinting would be better than a solid colour anytime. :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Try finding one of the 3-stage fingernail-buffing systems. These really do work a treat, though getting into the inside of the canopy will be a bit tricky in that scale.
But I suppose if you cut the sticks narrower, that would help.

Duck-Dude, I am in NZ myself so I know of what you speak when you talk of "Freakin' Scary Model Kit Prices"...
I haven't bought (much) from a bricks-and-mortar store for a while now - of course, there also wasn't one here in Wellington for a couple of years, anyway!