DONE @p.3 +++ MV-10H Bronco (Project "Black Pony"), 919th SOSS; Duke Field, 2020

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 09, 2021, 06:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Hardware update, now with some warts.

1:72 Boeing MV-10H "Super Bronco" a.k.a. "Black Pony" (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Looking pretty good, despite the massive PSR work all around. The gondola might be more massive and taller, but it's also a bit shorter than the original so that the proportions still work well. The contraprops and the IFR probe add a menacing touch, and painting starts soon.  :lol:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AndrewF

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

Finding a suitable and plausible paint scheme was not easy. Taking the late A-10s as potential benchmark, an overall light grey livery (with focus on low contrast against the sky as protection against ground fire) would have been a likely choice – and in fact the last operational American OV-10s were painted in this fashion. But in order to provide a different look I used the contemporary USAF V-22Bs and Special Operations MC-130s as benchmark, which typically carry a darker paint scheme consisting of uniform FS 36118 from above, FS 36375 underneath (with a low, wavy waterline), plus low-viz markings. Not spectacular, but plausible – and very similar to the late r/w Colombian OV-10s. As a bonus, it's "Gunship Gray". Very suitable. :D
The cockpit tub became Dark Gull Grey (FS 36231, Humbrol 140) and the landing gear white (Revell 301). Conservative.

The model received an overall black ink washing and some post-panel-shading, to liven up the dull all-grey livery.
In the meantime, fiffly work on ordnance and props made progress, too.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Finish line comes closer.  The decals were gathered from various sources, and I settled for black USAF low-viz markings. The "stars and bars" come from a late USAF F-4, the "IP" tail code was tailored from F-16 markings and the shark mouth from an Academy AH-64. Most stencils came from another Academy OV-10 sheet and some other sources.
Decals were also used to create the trim on the propeller blades and markings on the ordnance.

1:72 Boeing MV-10H "Super Bronco" a.k.a. "Black Pony"; "IP 002 (s/n 18-2002)", USAF 919th Special Operations Support Squadron, 919th Special Operations Wing; Duke Field (Eglin Air Force Auxiliary Field #3, Florida), 2020 (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Boeing MV-10H "Super Bronco" a.k.a. "Black Pony"; "IP 002 (s/n 18-2002)", USAF 919th Special Operations Support Squadron, 919th Special Operations Wing; Duke Field (Eglin Air Force Auxiliary Field #3, Florida), 2020 (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Pellson

Those Chinese topsails - do we know to what purpose they serve? They look quite draggy, so it has to have something to do with low speed handling, I would assume?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AndrewF

Quote from: Pellson on November 17, 2021, 12:18:53 AM
Those Chinese topsails - do we know to what purpose they serve? They look quite draggy, so it has to have something to do with low speed handling, I would assume?

I was wondering about that as well - I found this explanation: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/34471/what-is-the-purpose-of-these-winglets-on-the-chinese-version-of-the-an-2

The claim that "Y-5B aircraft fitted with triple tipsails on the upper wing tips, which reputedly gave 20% higher climb rate and improved L/D ratio by 15%." doesn't seem to convince many people...

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: AndrewF on November 17, 2021, 01:11:56 AM
The claim that "Y-5B aircraft fitted with triple tipsails on the upper wing tips, which reputedly gave 20% higher climb rate and improved L/D ratio by 15%." doesn't seem to convince many people...

Yup. I think that these are SF figures (esp. on a draggy An-2!), but it's whifworld and they adda a nice touch to the aircraft.  ;)

Certainly inspired by proven real-world designs...

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

nighthunter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 17, 2021, 11:31:10 PM
Model has been finished, pictures next.
Thomas, you inspired me to do my own version, in Paint, it'll be a MV-10S, using the OV-10D airframe, but with your added mods, the Cockpit will be the AH-1F style "armored" and use the AH-1Z lower frame with the bulgy cheeks, the engines will be turboprops from a Beechcraft Super King. The drawings were done by others, the kitbashing will be done by me, lol!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Disaster struck during flight shots: the Bronco "crashed" down from its holder and is now under emergency surgery.  :-\

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]