Freightdog Telford release, well almost.. is the BAC Hawk T.2 (1975 proposal)

Started by Freightdog862, November 09, 2021, 08:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freightdog862

So the big weekend is approaching, and normally I would be flat out getting new stuff ready for the show. This year is 18 years since I first traded at Telford, and myself and my sidekick Jon have decided to enjoy the show as IPMS members for a change. The Plan is to trade again at the 2022 event all things being well.

Although I don't have any big releases this year, and will not be selling any items at the show, I do have a couple of new sets out in November, and Joe and Geoff have kindly agreed for me to put a built up example on the Project Cancelled table. Mike McEvoy has two examples of one of the pre-production sets which he is assembling as I type this, and hopes to have a finished one on the table, suitably tweaked to his own taste. I am just waiting on Jan Polc to complete the four views before I announce it (Geoff and Joe know what it is, as it was Geoff's suggestion and Joe has helped with colour schemes).

I hope to announce it on Friday, or sooner if Jan gives me a profile drawing before then. Don't get too excited, its a simple conversion for a reasonably priced base kit of a Post-War British subject, that I have not covered before. If Mike's enthusiasm is anything to go by, it should be well received.

More to follow...

Colin

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Knightflyer

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 09, 2021, 10:48:25 AM
Oooooo....interesting!  Cant wait!

Can I second that emotion! i won't be at Telford, but looking forward to 'The Reveal'  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

AeroplaneDriver

I think Colin should offer up a set to the first one to correctly guess this mystery release.  Involved parties obviously not allowed to play.

I'm going with either a Naval Lightning or a Merlin-engined Chipmunk.  ;D
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitbasher

Well, well, well, what can it be?

The delta-wing Hunter project (the P.1090) to fit the Revell Hunter?

Supermarine Attacker trainer conversion for the AZ kit?

Photo-recce Lightning conversion (the EE P.15 IIRC)?

A pair of Skybolts?

Ah, why speculate, I'll just look forward to the big reveal.

Exciting!

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

Hurricane rear gunner
Shorts Sandringham conversion set
Avro Lincolnian
Spitfire glider
Lockheed Starliner
Halifax Freighter/Halton

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Maybe it's a Alison T56 turboprop engine as tested on a Lockheed Constellation.
It's small enough so it could be fitted to a Shorts Sunderland,  Stirling or the Lancaster B.II.
Back to the drawing board  :banghead:

kitbasher

Quote from: McColm on November 10, 2021, 04:40:22 AM
Maybe it's a Alison T56 turboprop engine as tested on a Lockheed Constellation.
It's small enough so it could be fitted to a Shorts Sunderland,  Stirling or the Lancaster B.II.
Back to the drawing board  :banghead:

Won't be any of those:
Quote from: Freightdog862 on November 09, 2021, 08:22:17 AM
.....its a simple conversion for a reasonably priced base kit of a Post-War British subject, that I have not covered before.     
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

A Post War British subject that Freightdog hasn't covered before , could be anything from 1945 to 1970..
If it relates to your undiscovered model aircraft kits stock, then any improvement on the 1/72 Airfix HS/BAe Nimrod is always welcomed.
So it's the Valiant as the other two have been covered.
Lifeboat for the Avro Shackleton MR.1.

Freightdog862

Gutted to report that I can't make Telford, my son tested positive for covid this morning, so as a precaution I'm not going to attend.

I will do a virtual launch of the new set tomorrow (which so far no one has guessed), hopefully those at SMW will see Mike's build on the table.

Sorry I won't see you there.

Colin   

kitbasher

Oh that's a shame, Colin.  Hope you and the rest of your family don't catch it, and that your son recovers swiftly.

BTW is it a Shackleton MAD boom?

Freightdog862

Quote from: kitbasher on November 12, 2021, 03:18:15 AM
Oh that's a shame, Colin.  Hope you and the rest of your family don't catch it, and that your son recovers swiftly.

BTW is it a Shackleton MAD boom?

We are all negative, and he's staying well isolated with his own bathroom so hopefully we won't get it. It just wouldn't feel right wandering around the show so that's why I've cancelled.

No not Shackleton MAD boom. I did have one mastered a few years ago (not by Paul Lucas), but it was decidedly unimpressive and never got released. I think I passed the one casting I had to Alec Smith as he had some other Shackleton sets, but it never came out.

Colin

Freightdog862

Hi everyone,

OK for those who are not at SMW and haven't seen Mike McEvoy's two built up examples, my new 1/72 scale conversion release is;

The original BAC Hawk T.2 proposal from 1975, which included an extended tail pipe to reduce risk of heat seeking missiles locking on to the tail pipe. The proposal also included the Aden gun pack and wing hard points which were adopted for export Hawks, and watered down for the later upgrade of the RAF T Mk.1a. The tail pipe however remained on the drawing board.

My set included a new rear fuselage from immediately in front of the airbrake, an optional centreline pylon instead of the Aden gun pod, and two pairs of the proposed BAC Sabre anti-Tank weapon, and air launched version of the Rapier. The missiles can of course be used on other types.

Sets are cast, I just need to finalize some instructions. Profile drawing provided by Jan Polc. Set is designed for the Revell T.1a base kit, which includes the necessary wing               pylons needed to mount the missiles, the cheaper Red Arrows boxing doesn't have these. You can modify it to fit other Hawk kits with the application of a bit of modelling skill.

Of course what you call it is up to you, I think Warhawk II has a nice ring to it? I'm trying to post an profile image to, so far I'm struggling a bit, so I have put in on my Freightdog facebook page for now.   

Colin