RF-4E Outback Recon

Started by Nick, November 10, 2021, 06:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I've been working on this F-4 for a long time now and it's nearly ready for display.

It's the RF-4E kit from Revell which came with German Tiger meet markings. Not an easy one to build and I've learnt a lot from this, mainly about building and painting in stages. Not helped by me doing it in bits at a time over 6 years...

Story: The Australian Government ordered the F-111 in 1965 when it was the great wonder of aviation. Then numerous reports came out on how bad the F-111 was doing in tests and over Vietnam. After having to lease F-4 Phantoms to cover the delay in delivery, the Australian Government decided to cut their losses. The decision was made to stick with an F-4 strike fleet.
Eventually these would equip 4 squadrons of the RAAF including 6 models of the RF-4E used for recon.

Here's a work in progress preview of the RAAF RF-4E. Since this I've put the wheels and nose probe in place and the jamming pods are being painted.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

That does look good Nick.  :thumbsup:

I've always liked the RAAF scheme they carried on their F-4Es, and the RF version looks even better.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est